The Notebook Review forums were hosted by TechTarget, who shut down them down on January 31, 2022. This static read-only archive was pulled by NBR forum users between January 20 and January 31, 2022, in an effort to make sure that the valuable technical information that had been posted on the forums is preserved. For current discussions, many NBR forum users moved over to NotebookTalk.net after the shutdown.

Dell Precision M4700 and M6700 - Preliminary Info

Discussion in 'Dell Latitude, Vostro, and Precision' started by [-Mac-], Apr 17, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. CHRIS_83

CHRIS_83 Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    On my E6520 the sensor works perfectly on Win7

2. Pirx

Pirx Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    So Windows recognizes it as a biometric device, right? If that's the case, then the same should be true for the M6600, and the 6700, of course.

3. CHRIS_83

CHRIS_83 Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    In device manager > Dell Control Vault W/ Fingerprint Swipe Sensor
    Works both in Bios and Win7 Login

4. Pirx

Pirx Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    Do you have an item for Biometric Devices in Windows Control Panel (just as you would on any other fingerprint-sensor-equipped PC on the planet, except fort those Dells)? In other words, is the sensor recognized and supported by Windows, or are you still forced to go through that POS of Wave software, installing a half dozen useless services just to get some half-broken support for that fingerprint sensor? This used to be the case since Dell chose to plug their sensor into their proprietary security hub, thereby making it inaccessible to Windows.

The device manager item you quoted above seems to indicate that this is still the case, meaning that, no, those Dells still do not have a Windows-supported fingerprint sensor. As one consequence, no third-party software will be able to recognize or work with it. All you have is the cr@p that Dell ships with the machine, which is pretty much useless. If that is the case, there's no point in getting the fingerprint reader.

5. tommyxv

tommyxv Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Working fine on my M6600...There is a fix posted by Dell someone on here.

6. warezcopter

warezcopter Newbie

Reputations:
    I would suggest getting the Alienware for sure. Dell wont make their M6600 a hard core gaming station by spec. The m6xxx series never had the top of the notch GPUs in it. That is why I really doubt the will put the 680 or 7970 in the M6700 -> the competition to Alienware would just be too great. So save your money, get a x0% cheaper Alienware m17x with a GPU beast and enjoy gaming. If you dont work with 3D applications, and dont need business looks for your notebook, the Precision series is not what you should pay many extra dollars on.

7. pita

pita Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    Between the earlier gen m14x and m4600 I went for M4600 for its 3 year next business day service warranty, better cooling and comparable performance. About the same price, precision line can sometimes pack more values.

8. dejazz

dejazz Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    Agreed.

I went for precision line from inspiron even though I am just doing audio & music professional work. You can leave it on & run it for 24/7, it doesn't sweat, Coz the cooling is good.

The next business day & the complete cover service is top notch. Even though there are some better looking or more powerful laptops out there, but if anyone wants peace of mind, they should go for Dell Precision.

I don't work for them. I just merely express my confidence in Dell

Sent from my GT-N7000 using Tapatalk 2

9. DimaV83

DimaV83 Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Just had a reply from Dell Representative (Russian Office) that they will have a big new product presentation in early June (Precision desktops). After I asked about mobile 4700 he told me "just wait a little bit :)".

So as we expected, it really could be June with deliveries in July.

10. fzhfzh

fzhfzh Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    They always had the most power gpu in them. Just that they are workstation version so you might not know. They are the same card with more or less same hardware, just using different drivers.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.