The Notebook Review forums were hosted by TechTarget, who shut down them down on January 31, 2022. This static read-only archive was pulled by NBR forum users between January 20 and January 31, 2022, in an effort to make sure that the valuable technical information that had been posted on the forums is preserved. For current discussions, many NBR forum users moved over to NotebookTalk.net after the shutdown.

Dell Precision M4700 and M6700 - Preliminary Info

Discussion in 'Dell Latitude, Vostro, and Precision' started by [-Mac-], Apr 17, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. dejazz

dejazz Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    Thanks for the info......what a teaser......just mentioned it's coming by Dell-posterous & nothing else. Just wondering if we should believe the specs mentioned

Sent from my GT-N7000 using Tapatalk 2

2. ijozic

ijozic Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Well, I'm not exactly the Nvidia engineer, so it's just IMHO, based on what I've seen and read.

Well, the 7970M level of performance (roughly 50% more than 6970M in 3dMark 11!?) seems well worth the wait, especially if its graphics switching technology is integrated on the supposedly upcoming M6700. Shame about the HD 4000 seems to be missing the 10-bit colour support, though.

3. pita

pita Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    huh? what's your source of information?

4. ijozic

ijozic Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Err, I don't know, any website which mentions which Nvidia GPU cores are used in the Quadro cards (e.g. notebookcheck)?

Nvidia Quadro - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

They're pretty much the same GPU cores, hence why you can usually use standard Nvidia gaming drivers on them (e.g. from the latest 296.10 release notes):

Product Support
    This driver supports the following NVIDIA notebook GPUs (please refer to the Products Supported tab for exceptions):
    ION notebook GPUs.
    GeForce 8M, 9M, 100M, 200M, 300M, 400M, and 500M-series notebook GPUs.
    Quadro 5010M, 5000M, 4000M 3000M, 2000M and 1000M notebook GPUs.
    Quadro NVS-series notebook GPUs (only those that support DirectX 10 or higher).
    Quadro FX-series notebook GPUs (only those that support DirectX 10 or higher).
    NVS-series notebook GPUs (only those that support DirectX 10 or higher).

5. Gannicus

Gannicus Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    I have a 15in 1920x1080 actually, but I just buy a 17in, because the font on 15in is a little too small, make my eyes tired more essay, and I don't want lager the front size on my 15in to lost display place.

That's in my opinion why I need a 17in

6. Magicremi

Magicremi Newbie

Reputations:
    Hey guys, I’ll try to keep it short. So I’m starting college end-of-September and I need a laptop. My dad who has been using a M6500 for a while now told me they were great and that I should get one (having played with it a little I agree) and told me he would chip in on the price (I still pay the vast majority of the price with what I earned though, I don’t mind paying, it’s actually cool that he wants to help). And now, with the release of the new M6700 I’m getting pretty excited.
    But the main purpose of my new laptop would be gaming and I also have my eyes set on the new Alienware M18x-R2. I know the full specs of the M6700 haven’t been released yet, but do you guys have an idea of which I should buy?

Or should I just wait for full specs to come out before I ask myself the question?

(And on a side note, regardless of which laptop, is it worth waiting for the release of Windows 8 to buy it?)

7. commander

commander Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    no IPS in 6700?

8. fzhfzh

fzhfzh Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    M18x is a full desktop replacement with capacity for 2 gpus. Because of this, it is also a lot larger and heavier. A closer comparison would be m17. For m6700, it would probably have a 7970m based firepro gpu which is good for gaming as well. So the main thing is the design and weight. M17x is about 1 to 2 pounds heavier, while design is subjective.

As for windows 8. Most colleges, at least mine have academic program with Microsoft that gives students free windows, so windows is not a problem. Check if ur school have it.

9. tommyxv

tommyxv Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Where did you get that from?

10. Aaron44126

Aaron44126 Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    I'll echo fzhfzh on the Windows 8 question. Your school will probably sell you a copy of Windows at a small price ($5-$10) if they have an academic licensing partner program with Microsoft in place, which in my experience most schools do. (You may have to wait a few months for them to begin to stock Windows 8, it probably won't be available on the first day.) Same goes for Microsoft Office. In any case, it looks like Microsoft will be offering upgrades to Windows 8 Pro for $15 for machines bought after early June.

If this is really going to be a gaming machine, Alienware probably offers the best performance/experience there. However, if you think you might take it to class, take it around for study/work, or things like that, you may find the design of the Precision to be less stand-out-ish and perhaps also find the better build quality to be beneficial. If your college experience is anything like mine was, your gaming activity will decrease somewhat as the years go on and the coursework becomes more demanding. Sort of depends what you are studying.

I'd definitely choose the Precision if I was going through this myself. It'll still be a very nice gaming machine (just don't get the Quadro 3000M or whatever cheapest Quadro ends up in the M6700).

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.