The Notebook Review forums were hosted by TechTarget, who shut down them down on January 31, 2022. This static read-only archive was pulled by NBR forum users between January 20 and January 31, 2022, in an effort to make sure that the valuable technical information that had been posted on the forums is preserved. For current discussions, many NBR forum users moved over to NotebookTalk.net after the shutdown.

Dell Precision M4800 - Can GPU be upgraded?

Discussion in 'Dell Latitude, Vostro, and Precision' started by SengXun, May 30, 2016.

1. tyrell_corp

tyrell_corp Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:

short answer: so far so good, :)

short technical: make sure you get AMD former heatsink from (radeon5100) model, going this way no further (below images for example) modification will be needed.

(I have used former Nvidia standard heatsink with a flat copper die cntact surface and raised it with old cpu lid by about 1mm)

(there is however another ver. of heatsink with already raised copper contact die surface so best to get that for those who unable to source appropriate lid)

heatsink should be about 1 mm from the base where die should sit on.

images of what needs doing are self explanatory.

I have used "Cremique 2" toothpaste ;)
    this paste cures in about 3-4 days and drops about 15-20c further than in its first 2-3 days before curing effect kicks in. (DONT RUN FULL LOAD) just use your comp for about 3 days normally then push it full throttle for about 3-4 hours.

this card has efficent throttling @ 90c if it reaches that, performance drops and is 50%.

80c is its ubermax usable. further its... stutter guranteed!

Her's example of how I have solved it quickly and efficently. :)

just delid old CPU and its exactly 1.1mm shim for FREE, so after a test (which you can observe) it was a perfect fit in a pinch... till I found normal heatsink.

it works perfect, slightly better than already rased 1mm+ by default sink, which I have now.

the temperature dif maybe significant only for overclokers and or hot weather dwellers. so keep it in mind. in case you want to push it.

it has better cooling curve with this additional pice of copper alloy! probably mass effect. it holds below 70c. say 68. full load 100% util

Tyrell_Corp 1111 Making wx4150 work on m4800.jpg Tyrell_Corp WX4150 3.jpg Tyrell_Corp WX4150 2.jpg Tyrell_Corp WX4150.jpg Tyrell_Corp WX4150 5.jpg

longer answer:.................

max I could squeeze... out of it, was, 1688pts in Time Spy bench this is vs 530pts with k2100m

it runs very well, and I even have swapped motherboard for LVDS ver. (switchable graphics) as I prefer doing bullsht using intel gpu and run decent stuff on WX. perfect match for me, I also care less about inbuilt display as who would use that, if you have DP out.

Power draw is fine.

Not even close to bottlenecking my CPU, so its worth it, but make sure when you buy it, that first word is "DELL" and second "HP", TAIWAN ver its better in my opinion. but for overclocking further......(not a good idea in general) I would chose made in china with SKhnix VRAMS as samsungs are are too soft for that. IMO (legal) :)

make sure you cover ALL heat transfer dependant components with an appropriate pads.

FAN WORKS AUTOMATICALLY SO NO NEED FOR ANY SOFTWARE CTRL (for deaf people :)

HEAT goes to 48-55-60c and then spins till drops to 70ish rumping up as necessary, at full load thats absolute normal for a mobile GPU.(side note) don' put stickers on metal lid of your laptop ive noticed its part of heat disipation of this model. air/metal is best.

DRIVERS FOR INTEL GPU

(WITH LVDS1 VER board you must disable switchable gpu and first install dedicated using external screen) this helps stability.)

>Intel driver for 4600 must be updated manually,
    >you first install>DELL intel GPU driver, reboot,
    >install AMD GPU Driver> reboot,
    >unpack zip with 4600 video driver from the intel website into a folder,
    >go into device manager, chose intel GPU, right click it, update, chose manual, find the folder with an extracted driver, look for and chose inf file (the only one visible file)
    update it.

after this get exe version of the same driver and run it, it will install normally without refusing on the grounds of incompatibility blah blah.

AMD DRIVERS THAT ARE WORKING

INSTALL THIS DRIVER FIST - AMD Radeon Pro Graphics Driver

(this is after installing intel by making sure that switchable GPU is ON in BIOS)

IMPORTANT INSTALL AMD GPU BY SWITCHING OFF SWITCHABLE GRAPHICS THEN AFTER RE-ENABLE IT IN BIOS and install INTEL

INSTALL THIS DRIVER SECOND - ISV Certified Driver - AMD Mobile workstation, by running EXPRESS INSTALL, (why?) reason is that when you install AMD PRO driver it installs the menu but submenu isn't working, but after you install driver first you lay out groundwork for recognition of hardware so seemingly it helps to recognize that hardware in this instance WX4150 is present, and just proceeds and updates missing components.

in my lazy book this is 100% success.

optionally:
    you can get AMD drivers LATEST WX4150 Driver here

:)

and make sure they match like on this screen shot, this COMBINATION is very stable. it got F**ked once (reverting to older intel) by random windows Upgrade so disable Driver updates in group Policy.

few more words I think important to people wanting to go this rout,

DISPLAY USAGE ON m4800 with WX4150.

LVDS ver. Switchable graphics ON
    Internal display works, WX4150 works when needed. no issues.
    VGA (intel) online
    HDMI (intel +WX) online
    Display port (intel +WX) online

LVDS ver. Switchable graphics OFF
    internal display not working (visibly switched on but black)
    WX4150 works with DP OUT external display no issues.

VGA- NO SHOW
    HDMI- online
    DisplayPort - online

LVDS QHD+ SWITCHABLE Graphics DISABLED ver.

Internal display 3200x1800 works fine. no issues.
    VGA no show (I suspect WX4150 was not designed to have VGA out)
    HDMI online.
    DisplayPort online.

PURE EDP MOTHERBOARD THE HOLLY GRAIL 4K (SOUND of TRUMPETS) :)
    this board would likely allow you to use internal display with WX4150 only.
    so essentially its just like LVDS QHD but with option to fall back to intel. or use both.
    I wish someone would send me such a board....for testing... :)

VGA no show. 100% certain.

So that is all, if you need to use VGA just get a converter dongle i.e. HDMI to VGA, or DP to VGA, so you can run projector for example, I needed VGA to use 3D function that was not enabled using standard HDMI with my projector.

additional information

Tyrell_Corp 1111 Making wx4150 work on m4800.jpg

where is my kudos?! ;)

Last edited: Jul 5, 2020
    scrlk likes this.
  2. tyrell_corp

Reputations:
    why should they? thers no indication it was ever used with any of the precission line machines, its at best 50/50 +possible flashing reflashing nightmare, technology moves fast enough to only do thease things if you are hard on cash or hobby boy. I am first, otherwise I would just buy buy buy buy and think less less less less :)

3. scrlk

scrlk Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    My WX4150 should be delivered some time this week. Thanks for posting that guide @tyrell_corp, really appreciate it. How big is the die on the WX4150? I don't have a spare CPU I can salvage an IHS from so I will need to buy a 1 mm copper shim from eBay.

EDIT: just to clarify - if I am coming from a M5100 + AMD heatsink, I don't need a shim? I've seen other posts saying a shim is required but not sure if this also applies to the AMD heatsink.

Last edited: Jun 28, 2020
    tyrell_corp likes this.
  4. tyrell_corp

Reputations:

you are welcome just giving it back.

CPUS are cheap maybe 2-3$ from that era, IHS on those cpus is made out or copper alloy to match sinks Quality is much better and it is a perfect fit for covering die. raised corners and lowered center plus surface inside is ideal flat.

so just buy cheap CPU, don't buy copper crap shims I have now realized that this shims may even worsen your heat transfer due to metal heating too fast and having sandwich disparity heat transfer (just a theory)

re theory how it works, it seems that IHS is larger and therefore absorbs initial heat better allowing to transfer reminder at a later stage making the sink more effective than having small copper center doing the initial full "absorb" that's why its having a better heat dissipation curve, maybe manufacturers should take a note here and test it.

when you will remove your heatsink from AMD GPU check to see if copper square that covers GPU center DIE is raised. I have image somewhere but cant find it now. will upload when I have a chance. if yes, that's all you need, so forget about gaskets (reminds me of people that have old cars and always speak about "gaskets" :D )

Last edited: Jun 29, 2020
  5. tyrell_corp

Reputations:
    re die size: its smaller than k2100m and probably matching 5100 heatsinks cover them with exccess anyway so this is not part to worry about (you can check images ive uploaded in some of my previous post to compare WX with k2100m and i have had m2000m vs k2100m (its just like m2000m in terms of 2d size) but!!! its 1 mm lower set on the PCB and thats why you need the proper sink.

Last edited: Jul 2, 2020
  6. thegeforce

thegeforce Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    right, so i have a M5100 already in mine, with a 1080p IPS EDP display, is there anything i need to do hardware or software wise to get the fan control to work? i am currently using the latest intel and AMD drivers for windows 10.

7. tyrell_corp

Reputations:
    maybe start actually reading posts first.

8. I_Borisfen_I

I_Borisfen_I Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Everything (or almost everything) about installing the WX4150 in the Dell M4800 and how it works with different laptop modifications.
    The first thing to decide with the versions of the laptop that exist:
    1) Laptop on LA-9771P board (2013) with panel's and LVDS connector up to FullHD inclusive.
    2) Laptop on LA-9771P board (2013) with panel and eDP connector. Panel QHD (3200x1800).
    3) Laptop on LA-9772P board (2014-2015) with panel's and eDP connector up to FullHD inclusive.
    2) Laptop on LA-9772P board (2014-2015) with panel and eDP connector. UHD (4K) panel (3840x2160).
    So, you know what kind of laptop you have in terms of panel's. We will need this knowledge in the future.

Now you need to buy a video card.
    1) Which one to choose? We have 2 options: MXM Type A graphics card from HP (Blue) or Dell (Green). The only difference is that the Dell will work out of the bag, and the HP video card will need to be vBIOS flashed. Both will work perfectly.
    If you take the blue one from HP, then take the CH341A programmer + SOIC SOP8 Test Clip from Aliexpress. You will flash it yourself and the programmer will remain, a useful thing in the household.
    P.S. I took the HP version. it is cheaper and I already have a programmer)

2) Where to buy? There are several options for sites: ebay, aliexpress, taobao, local flea markets, etc. Choose based on your need and price.
    P.S. I took my HP on ebay for $ 64 + $ 6.5 shipping.

3) What do I need to buy for correct installation and operation? The list is as follows:
    1) X-Bracket.
    The HP graphics card (Blue) does not come with an X-Bracket (the bracket that you screw the cooling system into). Without it, you simply cannot "screw" the system cooling. Solution: If you still have your previous graphics card in stock, remove the X-Bracket from it and install it on the WX4150. If you don't already have your video card, turn on your brain: this mount will fit from any MXM Type A video card, and you can ask a friend; go through the services, maybe someone will sell the mount separately or a burnt video card with a mount; or find on the same flea market any burnt video card with a mount and buy it.
    Dell graphics card (Green) comes with X-Bracket.
    P.S. I bought a dead graphics card and removed the X-Bracket from it. It cost me 5.84 $.

2) Cooling system.
    If you had a video card from NVIDIA before, then you need to either buy a copper plate-spacer 0.8 mm thick, or buy cooling from an AMD video card (Part AT0W10060AL, DP / N = 0C7KH5). This is due to the fact that AMD chips are smaller in height compared to NVIDIA by 0.75mm (Such a difference in height for copper plates of cooling systems = 1.2mm for AMD and 0.35mm for NVIDIA). Therefore, the cooling system from NVIDIA simply will not reach the chip and no layers of thermalpaste will help here - it will overheating and the laptop will refuse to turn on. Therefore, you need either cooling from AMD or a plate. I advise you to buy a cooling system, but be sure to watch what would be on it was exactly the number AT0W10060AL, DP / N = 0C7KH5 - others will not work.
    P.S. I bought myself a cooling system from AMD. It cost me 7.68 $.

3) Programmer.
    It is necessary in case of buying a video card from HP (Blue) and the impossibility (unwillingness) to ask a friend to flash / pay for the service.
    P.S. Consumables in the form of thermal paste, bolts, screwdrivers are not considered.

So, you ordered a video card, X-bracket, a cooling system and a programmer (if necessary, its conditions are described above). Next, the process of installing a video card from HP (Blue) by me will be described, as it is the cheapest option.
    A video card and all the components have come to you. The algorithm is as follows:
    1) Flash the vBIOS video card: Using the CH341A programmer + a Test Clip, the CH341Programmer_v1.38 program and one of the firmware (You will see a laptop video card either as WX4150 or RX 560). DELL_AMD_Radeon_Pro_WX4150_AtiWINFlash.zip 560M TechPowerUp.zip
    a) Connect the test clip to the ISSI IS25LQ040, select Chip - Determine Chip Type in the program. Agree with the error.
    b) Chip - Read the chip. Then in the left menu Save buffer data to file.
    c) Now Buffer - Fill the Buffer and enter 00 (Two zeros) in the Value. Ok.
    d) Chip - Write chip.
    e) Chip - Read the chip. Make sure everything is zero.
    f) Open the file with vBIOS (File - Open File), and press the SECOND BUTTON (AUTO PROGRAM) from bottom in the left menu. If everything ended well, then congratulations - you have updated vBIOS!
    2) Insert the video card into the slot, spread a thin layer of thermal paste, screw on the cooling, assemble the laptop.
    3) When you press the power button, the laptop should start and shut down several times, this is normal. Then he will give a picture.
    4) Boot into the OS and the most important thing begins: the driver.

There was a problem with the driver - a different version works on different versions of the laptop:
    1) For laptops under item 1 - you should use Switchable Graphics - you simply won't have an image if don't use it, because WX4150 is not capable of LVDS.
    2) For laptops under point 1 and 3 - everything is fine, if you use the Switchable Graphics option - install any drivers for the WX4150 - there will be no problems.
    3) For laptops under item 3 - if you are not using Switchable Graphics option - no one knows how the drivers will behave.
    4) For laptops under item 2 and 4 - on any driver except THIS !!! will freeze the image in Windows 10 when opening programs and any program windows. Apparently this is due either to the high resolution of the panel's, or precisely to the fact that the WX4150 itself produces an image. The solution is to use the driver from the top line. There were no problems on Windows 7, but it has HUGE UI scaling problems.

Now about the HP WX4150 video card itself:
    Everything works great, compared to the K2100M - a double increase in performance. There is no overclocking, or I was looking badly (Perhaps only through editing vBIOS, because MSI Afterburner refuses to apply frequencies). The laptop fan is operated normally, the temperature is monitored. It does not rise above 80C.

I ask members of the forum with the WX4150 to throw off their drivers, with which everything works great for them, to create a small database of stable drivers with a specific laptop configuration, as well as information about their laptop in the form:
    Dell M4800
    Panel connection interface (LVDS / eDP):
    Panel resolution (1366x768 / 1920x1080 / 3200x1800 / 3840x2160):
    Which display mode are you using (Switchable / Discrette only):
    AMD Driver Version:
    Link to download the driver:

Well, I'll start with myself:
    Dell M4800
    Matrix connection interface: eDP.
    Matrix resolution: 3840x2160.
    Which display mode are you using: Discrette only.
    AMD Driver Version: Radeon Pro and AMD FirePro Settings Version 2016.1123.122.2449
    Link to download the driver: https://www.dell.com/support/home/en-us/drivers/driversdetails?driverid=85c66

Thanks =)

Attached Files:

PhOeNiX_H likes this.
  9. Allleeexxx

Allleeexxx Newbie

Reputations:
    It is not last driver for 4K QHD screen !

This driver is newer ! 4K QHD
    https://drive.google.com/file/d/1EDPDCptfFQxG3mvb-6baQOSqrMV4nZ0_/view
    Install the driver manually via the .inf file.
    path for file : amd\Packages\Drivers\Display\WT6A_INF

My bios mode file with overclock and fan fix https://drive.google.com/file/d/1Kqa0tOF-7XRpn_0QUHw120iD_--06DbW/view?usp=sharing

10. tyrell_corp

Reputations:
    Just to say I have all 3 motherboards now they all work with WX4150 my post gives enough logical information.

Buy the card from ali ebay whatever, prefered green PCB dell pulled card, get a heat sink for AMD GPU if not de-lid old CPU take IHS and sandwich it using Cremique 2 compound.

dont buy headache, get 30$ more out and get DELL card. thats it, in 2 years this laptop will be in the trash anyway.

no need for USSR malware, this card has vulnerability its memory can be firmware harbor for such if you are not careful. so called GPU virus. (just saying)

play.

there is no complexity Plug and Play.

LVDS laptop will always fall back to intel GPU, but if you ran GPU intensive task will be overtaken by WX. you can not make WX to boot using laptop screen, you can only use it to overtake it when in use by INTEL GPU.

LVDS 40 pin (EDP1) to eDP (30 pin FHD) will boot into laptop screen if switchable graphics DISABLED*

same for 4K models.

end of story. it just works with all of them.

and I took 1 for the team.

:)

Last edited: Aug 16, 2020