The Notebook Review forums were hosted by TechTarget, who shut down them down on January 31, 2022. This static read-only archive was pulled by NBR forum users between January 20 and January 31, 2022, in an effort to make sure that the valuable technical information that had been posted on the forums is preserved. For current discussions, many NBR forum users moved over to NotebookTalk.net after the shutdown.

Dell Precision M4800 - Can GPU be upgraded?

Discussion in 'Dell Latitude, Vostro, and Precision' started by SengXun, May 30, 2016.

1. SengXun

SengXun Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Hello everyone,

I am using my M4800 for nearly 2 years now since it was released.

However, back then, I didn't know the graphics card was meant for 3D and video editing. I only got it because of its high processing power and high RAM.

Anyway, is it possible to upgrade the GPU?

I've read in different forums and posts somewhere stating that it is impossible due to gpu size issues, TOP, and so on.

Any one can share their insights here? Like does that mean I cannot really upgrade? And if I can, what GPU models can I upgrade to? And has anyone here done it?

I would really appreciate it. Thanks.

Abdullah faisal likes this.
  2. Div033

Div033 Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    One of the reasons I decided to go with the 7510 (successor to the M4800) was due to the fact the GPU could be upgraded.

Which GPU do you have now? Identifying that will help establish if what's available now is worth the purchase.

You're going to want to look for GPUs that fit into an MXM 3.0 Type A slot, and as such that narrows down your choices quite a bit. It also limits you to Quadro cards, but those work fine for gaming, if that's what you're insinuating as your desired use-case scenario.

The K1100M and K2100M are available now for relatively cheap prices on ebay, and may be an upgrade based on what you're currently using. Otherwise, you may have to wait for the M2000M to come down a bit in price; those are the best available for MXM 3.0A right now and are a bit pricey.

I've not personally done one of these upgrades, but I've read of people who have, and I plan to do one sometime much later in the future once pascal chips are available at decent prices.

alexhawker likes this.
  3. AntiNSA

AntiNSA Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    m2000m works great on my m4800

alexhawker likes this.
  4. hellfire88

hellfire88 Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    I too chose the 7510 over the Precision 5510 (and XPS 15) due to the fact that the GPU is upgradable. Some website posted an early benchmark on the mobile nVidia 1060 and showed it to be +159% faster than the 960m that the M2000M is based on! I don't want to wait for 1060m laptops to come out and I do like the build-quality and warranty of the Precision 7510 so I got one recently.

glad to hear that the upgrade worked for you! I plan to upgrade my M2000M to whatever the Quadro version of the 1060m is called in my 7510.

5. AntiNSA

AntiNSA Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    sounds good!

6. lawless305

lawless305 Newbie

Reputations:
    @AntiNSA I'm currently planning to install a GTX965M in my M4800

7. gmbfra

gmbfra Newbie

Reputations:
    Hi, I read that you currently have a m2000m on your M4800 (planning to change it).
    Could you please just tell me quickly the main steps you did to install it ?
    Thx a lot

8. gmbfra

gmbfra Newbie

Reputations:
    Hi, How could you put a MXM-B card on the MXM-A slot in the M4800 ?
    I missed something ? ;)

9. gmbfra

gmbfra Newbie

Reputations:
    I recently found the following card: AMD Radeon E9260 MXM
    Which seems to be compatible... But could not find any price.
    Someone knows it ?

10. alexhawker

alexhawker Spent Gladiator

Reputations:
    You can fit the smaller form factor into a MB that supports the larger form factor. https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mobile_PCI_Express_Module

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk