The Notebook Review forums were hosted by TechTarget, who shut down them down on January 31, 2022. This static read-only archive was pulled by NBR forum users between January 20 and January 31, 2022, in an effort to make sure that the valuable technical information that had been posted on the forums is preserved. For current discussions, many NBR forum users moved over to NotebookTalk.net after the shutdown.

Dell Precision M4800 - Can GPU be upgraded?

Discussion in 'Dell Latitude, Vostro, and Precision' started by SengXun, May 30, 2016.

1. PhOeNiX_H

PhOeNiX_H Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    This solved my issue. I didn't try his RX 560 version, but installing a WX 4150 Dell vbios made possible to connect to external monitors and turning off Switchable Graphics.

The card that I bought was the blue PCB (HP) one. This one here: https://www.ebay.com/itm/HP-L17822-001-HP-PCA-RADEON-PRO-WX-4150-4GB-MXM/254569181977

Like he said, you WILL need an extra X-bracket because it will come without it. The cheapest way is removing from your old card. Since I had a HD 5450 laying around here (bought for $5 4 years ago), I just used its bracket and it fitted perfectly.

It will plug and play on M4800 with switchable graphics on, but you won't be able to connect to any external monitors or turning off SG. For that, you will have to flash WX 4150 Dell VBios (you can find it in quotted post above). If your screen is LVDs, you won't be able to turn off SG either way, but at least you will be able to plug in external monitors.

You will probably have some issue with SSIDs if you try to flash the vbios he uploaded. At least I had:

[​IMG]

Use Polaris Bios Editor, change it and save as different file. AMDFlash will be able to flash it afterwards, even on Windows.

[​IMG]

Yeah, I know some people will prefer cards that you don't need to flash anything to work flawlessly, but I think this is a reasonable work for the price. Dell version of this card will easily surpass $100.

I hope this helps some people. Thanks again for detailing your process, Boris.

Last edited: Mar 13, 2021
    tyrell_corp likes this.
  2. Aaron44126

Aaron44126 Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    There is exactly two ways to do this.
    1. Use the VGA port.
    2. Go to the BIOS and turn on the "discrete dock display output" option (it is right next to the switchable graphics toggle)... and then one of the DVI/DP ports on a PR02X dock will be connected to the iGPU.

PhOeNiX_H likes this.
  3. tyrell_corp

tyrell_corp Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Hi Milko, I always wondered how it compares in typical tests, Could you please upload or say what performance number you are getting when using time spy? this would be interesting to compare to.

we have it worse here in UK besides import tax Royal Mail charges $12-15 just for handling it. so if you buy something for 10$ you pay 25$

thanks in advance!

4. Milko Krastev

Milko Krastev Newbie

Reputations:
    https://www.3dmark.com/3dm/59549836

This is not a gaming laptop and Quadro cards have poor performance to price ratio for serious gaming. For real world productivity tasks, M2200 is around 2-2.5 times faster than K2100. It is probably the same story for gaming.

My personal use cases for M4800 are software development, video editing, and YouTube. It compiles fast enough, plays and edits 4K video smoothly, looks good, has a great display that causes little eye strain, and has great compatibility and support for both Linux and Windows. The last point is extremely important - my main OS is Linux and not everything is well supported on it. That is why I decided to throw 400$ for an old GPU for an old machine. If I were into gaming, I would undoubtedly buy a newer machine.

tyrell_corp likes this.
  5. aceoyame

aceoyame Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Glad to see others having success with the rx560 bios. I admit, I don’t have an external monitor to test with (well, no desk anyways so I didn’t bother). I wonder since it uses optimus/enduro if the dock Igpu pass through DisplayPort option would work around that or if possibly vga would work. Worst case displaylink adapters would work... though you’d have to window mode your apps/games.

My guess is that the 560 bios has the displays mapped to different ports and that’s why those aren’t working. I might try looking into that though I admit I have very little experience with that beyond making a 1060 6gb work in my old clevo

Last edited: Mar 16, 2021
  6. PhOeNiX_H

Reputations:
    VGA would work without issues. Aaron said vga port uses iGPU instead of dGPU. My only problem with an adapter is being impossible to use on 75 (and beyond) hz monitors, since VGA would only output 60hz max.

There's a thing that I couldn't test, tho'. How much is your Fire Strike Score? I'm getting something between 4600~4700, so it's a good way to test if overclock actually works.

I'm saying that because I tried a lot of OC options with WX 4150 vbios, but it wasn't stable even with 80W TDP and 10% clock increase, so there's a chance that your overclock could be just a placebo... or maybe I would be more successful with RX 560 vbios.

7. aceoyame

Reputations:
    I got a score of 6232 on graphics running fire strike

tyrell_corp likes this.
  8. PhOeNiX_H

Reputations:
    That's pretty good.

I'll do some tests with RX 560 bios (for Dell), then. Maybe I could reach better results like that.

9. aceoyame

Reputations:
    Fair warning, it did complain about the tesselation load for some reason. To me it looked just normal the test though. I wonder if that was the Radeon resolution scaling thing kicking in perhaps? I have no idea. Like I said though, looked normal from my perspective.

edit: http://www.3dmark.com/fs/24992630

edit2: https://support.benchmarks.ul.com/e...ark-tessellation-load-modified-result-invalid

apparently amd tried to cheat on recent drivers. Tsk tsk.

Last edited: Mar 16, 2021
  10. PhOeNiX_H

Reputations:
    Lol. I can't even see the results, btw.

I guess a fps comparison is better. I'll do some benchmarks here with WX 4150 Dell vbios and your RX 560 OC.