The Notebook Review forums were hosted by TechTarget, who shut down them down on January 31, 2022. This static read-only archive was pulled by NBR forum users between January 20 and January 31, 2022, in an effort to make sure that the valuable technical information that had been posted on the forums is preserved. For current discussions, many NBR forum users moved over to NotebookTalk.net after the shutdown.

Dell Precision M4800 - Can GPU be upgraded?

Discussion in 'Dell Latitude, Vostro, and Precision' started by SengXun, May 30, 2016.

1. Vaardu

Vaardu Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    This is where things were weird with the M5100 and 120hz panels. It did boot but the panel was off, completely. Nothing came up. Sometimes it would work and then it doesn't. And it could work intermittently.

While the M5100 hates 120Hz panels on and off, the WX4150 can use it natively. So, you can use a 120hz in the M4800 provided you have the LA-9772p motherboard and FullHD eDP cable and I suppose anything newer than 2014 or 2015, you can use internal panel with SG off. Just thought I'd let others know about that.

tyrell_corp likes this.
  2. PhOeNiX_H

PhOeNiX_H Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Yeah, WX 4150 is eDP only, so that's why it works flawlessly.

M5100 I'm not sure, tbh.

3. tyrell_corp

tyrell_corp Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Sorry I was away from all this, yes I have used British Made Scissors, they can cut anything ^^ :) as long as it goes under and over and then has contact with sink, you are all good, I have recently made another one for my seconfd machine, it does improve its operability.

Vaardu likes this.
  4. tyrell_corp

Reputations:
    be sure to put heat pads under this extended metal sink this is to avoid metal touching the card exposed components. you can use large copper shim pice *ebay, anything around 1mm should be great.

Vaardu likes this.
  5. Vaardu

Vaardu Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    I have thinner metal now to work with, it's 0.04mm but should be alright. I have made use of the trimmed metal as an extension to the other VRMs on the card, because it doesn't cover a substantial amount.

I'll revisit my version, but the other thing I noticed is that my CPU, which is now a 4810MQ it's not running much cooler. However I don't know if it's actually due to the fact I did not replace the pad on the chipset thing near the CPU?

6. tyrell_corp

Reputations:
    I would go for Gelid pads wherever possible, those green Dell pads are already nearing expiration time by now, (you can spare one to use under the extenssion)

so in my personal experience and opinion, its best to get 2mm Gelid 12w/Mk or new 15 w/Mk (under GPU VRAM) it would also be safe to say 12/15 w/Mk 0.5mm can be used under DIY sink extension aswell. (as reference Arctic MX5 is about 10 w/mk for example)

they seem dry when you cut them (use swiss knife), but after application and some heat from operation they make very a good contact all in all and are softened to hug the ICs well.

I have to say that some "noob" wrote that their new 15 w/Mk pads are "dry" giving them bad rep, but I still gave them a shot and bought them, reality is they are much more dense & (more hevvy) than their 12 w/Mk counterparts, all due to the curve relating to material and heat transfer rate. (I am practical guy so don't ask me how that works)

to add WX4150 does like them better, and all you need is to exact size of IC cuts.

there is another trick to mimic the uni-sink heat absorption and dissipation on M4800, (share heat across both sinks for faster cooling effect) to do this you need to squeeze a a bit of Ceramique 2 into heatsink socket joints, this will level out some of the heat produced and this is not a theory its now fact. the bottom chasis will get warmer so this is not very LAP topy solution but since I mostly push on the dock who cares! :) its only warmer its not HOT*

whole thing is a giant sink really all you need is to make good contact for all metal parts and heat will distribute itself evenly.

Last edited: May 23, 2021
  7. tyrell_corp

Reputations:
    this is off base question does anyone know whats the best GPU you can stick into Precission 7720? and 7520?

8. Aaron44126

Aaron44126 Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    Quadro P5000 / Quadro M2200.
    Newer systems started going away from MXM so Dell never produced MXM versions of the Quadro P5200 or later. You might be able to use a HP version of a newer card. I haven't heard of anyone trying it in the 7720.

tyrell_corp likes this.
  9. tyrell_corp

Reputations:
    thanks @Arron44126, so there is very little point in moving to this platform. I have started thinking about RTX, and had slim hope of maybe finding MXM variant. I guess no cheap rides here.

10. Aaron44126

Aaron44126 Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    HP makes a MXM version of the Quadro RTX 3000/4000/5000 GPU which you can sometimes find on eBay. It has been confirmed working in the Precision M6700 and thus will likely work in other Precision systems. However, the MXM card layout is significantly different than normal and it is slightly larger as well. A pretty serious heatsink mod is definitely needed in order for it to be installed. Screw positions are in the wrong place, and the GPU core/chip itself is in the wrong place.

(Never seen a MXM GeForce RTX 2000-series card that wasn't, like, way too strange to fit in a system that wasn't designed for it.)

tyrell_corp likes this.