The Notebook Review forums were hosted by TechTarget, who shut down them down on January 31, 2022. This static read-only archive was pulled by NBR forum users between January 20 and January 31, 2022, in an effort to make sure that the valuable technical information that had been posted on the forums is preserved. For current discussions, many NBR forum users moved over to NotebookTalk.net after the shutdown.

Dell Precision M4800 - Can GPU be upgraded?

Discussion in 'Dell Latitude, Vostro, and Precision' started by SengXun, May 30, 2016.

1. Ravenik

Ravenik Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    I intend to play Witcher 3. I have just ordered nVidia M2000M. It is in shipment at present.
    I understand that it is necessary to modify the graphics driver. I have a question which driver should I get and modify? Shall it be the driver from Dell's website provided for M4800 with nVidia Quadro GPU? Or it is better to get driver from nVidias website? (the latter is availale in version for Quadro and a different one for Geforce) Could someone recommend driver that I should download and modify. Thanks.

2. RoOSTA113

RoOSTA113 Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    @cmexonat can probably answer that. ...Also, is there any way you can attempt a test with 2 4K60 monitors - do ytou have them at work/friends place etc?

So do I go with M2000M because its tried and tested by a few and working, or go for something else even more capable that's not necessarily tried and tested, but there are "reports" of better cards working? Thoughts anyone?

RoOSTA

Last edited: Jul 11, 2017
  3. Ravenik

Reputations:
    Today I was able to install M2000M hardware and modify driver from nVidia. I used Quadro New Feature Driver (QNF) 382.05. Card is working on Windows 8.1 x64 pro in my M4800. Everything ok, performance more than 2x better, but one surprise: when I play Witcher 3 or run some demos, the card heats up to 79*C and the card's fan is noticeably noisier than with the previous card (K2100M). I didn't expect more noise, as both cards have power consumption 55W according to some website.

Last edited: Jul 12, 2017
  4. John Carlson

John Carlson Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    can you use M2200 or P3000 on M4800?

Is that even possible?
    any chance with new GTX 1060 on M4800?

5. Aaron44126

Aaron44126 Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    M2200 --- Probably (no one has tried it)

P3000 or GeForce 1060 --- No, these cards are only available in the MXM 3.0b form factor, they are too large to fit.

6. John Carlson

Reputations:
    Yeah, I want to try that M2200... but it seems like no one's selling it yet.
    Some very expensive MSI workstation laptops come with M2200... but they cost $2400 USD.
    Not worth that much investment I guess..

7. Ravenik

Reputations:
    I have a question how thick should be thermal pads on M2000M's memory and on mosfets? Please help.
    I assembled the GPU cooling with previous thermopads (from K1100M card) and the GPU heats up very much; I suppose my thermal pads may be too thick and therefore the cooler does not properly stick to the GPU core. Also what temperature does your M2000M reach in load? My did go up to 79*C and I limited it in vbios to 67*C (which heavily reduced fan noise).

Last edited: Jul 14, 2017
  8. John Carlson

Reputations:
    Does anyone know where to get the M2200 card?

9. sicily428

sicily428 Donuts!! :)

Reputations:
    do you know the part number for a dell m2200?

10. John Carlson

Reputations:

Nope. But it looks like these M2200 MXM 3.0a card is available for some MSI workstation laptops and some Lenovo laptops. I wonder if anyone can buy this card?