The Notebook Review forums were hosted by TechTarget, who shut down them down on January 31, 2022. This static read-only archive was pulled by NBR forum users between January 20 and January 31, 2022, in an effort to make sure that the valuable technical information that had been posted on the forums is preserved. For current discussions, many NBR forum users moved over to NotebookTalk.net after the shutdown.

Dell Precision M6700 Owner's Review

Discussion in 'Dell Latitude, Vostro, and Precision' started by Bokeh, Jul 24, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Athar

Athar Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    Interresting thread.

I'm pressed to receive mine (In production... normaly^^, see my signature for specs).

Not sure, but on your photos, for the memory under the keybord, did they add some kind of "security" system, to maintain the RAM in theirs slots? (the "metal bar", in my memory, it wasn't present on my sold M6600).

2. Krane

Krane Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    Hmm, wonder why? Ahem, thunderbolt.... Opps, was that out loud?
    This is a business laptop.

Lexus could put loud tail pipes and a strip down the middle of their LS460 but who would buy it? Fifty something businessmen? Ask yourself, who is this laptop marketed to, and does it satisfy their need? Alienware gamers, need not apply.

3. Bokeh

Bokeh Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Mano said I was actually wrong about the USB 3. The M4600/M6600 will work with the new dock.

4. SecretAsianMan

SecretAsianMan Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    EDIT: The stuff I wrote below has nothing to do with what they were talking about. I got my threads crossed.

That car analogy would be more appropriate if someone asked for a neon alien head on their mobile workstation. Nobody has ever asked for that, I hope. A better analogy would be offering a sport suspension option on a luxury car—something all of the luxury brands do.

It would be great if there were a better option for pro users who don't need a discrete GPU for work, but do want one for gaming when they get back to the hotel.

5. Aikimox

Aikimox Weihenstephaner!

Reputations:
    That car analogy was completely irrelevant to the case. We were discussing the reasons for high price tag of Nvidia cards. Ijozic was simply trying to say that "better drivers" is mostly a stereotype. In reality, both camps have decent drivers nowadays. Most people think that by wiping out Dell drivers and installing the latest WHQL version they should automatically get the perfection. And when they fail - they blame the manufacturers for poor drivers, lol.

As for the gaming vs pro subject, - no such thing. You can use a mobile workstation for gaming and a gaming rig for PRO apps. It's entirely up to you. I've been there many times. Used a AW M18x as main business laptop and a HP 8740w as a purely gaming rig, lol. I for one, am going to upgrade my GPU to 7970m, if the IPS panel will work with it. It's all about stereotypes, folks. Look at the retina MBPro, a high resolution reflective screen paired with a mid-range OC'ed gaming GPU, and it's their PRO laptop, lol. Enjoy the diversity :)

6. Krane

Krane Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    There was a point there that you missed. You don't go out and buy a luxury car and then complain that you want 4 cylinder engine. In this case, if you want what you want you need to shop in a different department. I think Dell (and others) do a pretty good job in offering sufficient variety in CPUs and GPUs.
    You're not listening. I already said that. But its not as simple as you make it out to be. I gave a caveat, that gaming rigs are not made for heavy duty rendering. You obviously stayed within the limit of tolerance. Just like a car pulling a load, you don't need a truck so long as the weight is not too heavy. Go beyond that, and you're in big trouble.
    I could write a masters thesis on the Apple business philosophy. I'll let that one go.

7. iieeann

iieeann Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Wow that is a good news! thanks Mano.

8. Krane

Krane Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    Where is this new dock? And are the ports additive to the laptop's? Also, any info on the new batteries? I can't make head nor tails from the website.

9. iieeann

iieeann Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Any idea if M6700 uses exactly the same motherboard for AMD and NVIDIA graphic card?

M6700 just listed a while ago at my place, OMG K5000 and M6000 price difference is SOOO huge, making the price of the whole laptop double if choosing K5000.

10. Krane

Krane Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    That's the money maker GPU. These are of course, workstations.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.