The Notebook Review forums were hosted by TechTarget, who shut down them down on January 31, 2022. This static read-only archive was pulled by NBR forum users between January 20 and January 31, 2022, in an effort to make sure that the valuable technical information that had been posted on the forums is preserved. For current discussions, many NBR forum users moved over to NotebookTalk.net after the shutdown.

Dell Precision M6700 Owner's Review

Discussion in 'Dell Latitude, Vostro, and Precision' started by Bokeh, Jul 24, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Dell-Mano_G

Dell-Mano_G Company Representative

Reputations:
    Yes the new dock with USB 3.0 will work with the M4600/M6600.

2. Aikimox

Aikimox Weihenstephaner!

Reputations:
    If your ssd is causing the problem, - yes, go and screw yourself. :)

3. Dell-Bill_B

Dell-Bill_B Guest

Reputations:
    He better not. Nowhere in your warranty, which is our contract with you regarding hardware, does it say opening the case voids your warranty. However, customer induced damage is another story, obviously. We cover that in the warranty.

*Those are battery claims using MobileMark and are meant for comparative analysis. They do not reflect real world scenarios. YMMV

ANNOUNCEMENT:
    We are hosting a Google+ Hangout with Dell-Mano_G this Thursday at 4 PM, CST. Mano is the Senior Product Marketing Manager for Dell Precision products. He works directly with the Product Managers and Engineers on a daily basis and will be on the hangout to field any and all questions you have. He may not be able to answer all of them, due to confidentiality requirements, but he will let you know if he can't.

If you want to join, you will need a Google+ account, which takes a couple of minutes to set up. We are still working out details about exactly which Google+ page we will be hosting the hangout from. Once we clear that up, I'll post back a link to the page where the hangout announcement will appear, and you can join the hangout when the announcement goes live a few minutes before the hangout starts Thursday afternoon. We here in Dell End User Computing have done a few of these hangouts before, and customer reaction has always been positive. I hope you guys can find the time and inclination to give it a shot. We look forward to seeing you there.

4. Aaron44126

Aaron44126 Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    Awesome, keep us posted on this. I'll be there.

5. WaNaWe900

WaNaWe900 Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Any link available ;) and it is available in SEA ?

6. ijozic

ijozic Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Besides Nvidia's edge in supported professional aplications, I think a lot of it is based on prejudice. For instance, you're repeating the same prejudice that Nvidia has good drivers while AMD (ATI) ones suck and a lot of people heard it (e.g. a lot of my friends) from somewhere and are still repeating it over the years, although in fact it was only true a long time ago and was resolved in due time after ATI started introducing Catalyst drivers..

In fact, I had much frustration with the Nvidia drivers as there were so many parallel driver lines and repeated bugs that you really had to dig deep through the forums to see user experience with them and if e.g. Powermizer is broken or something (e.g. some graphics cards are still plagued by the black screen bug, e.g. a friends Quadro FX3600M only works stable with some 3 years old drivers; apparently, some FX3800M users have similar problems on the Dell M6500, etc.).

My desktop ATI card experience was relatively trouble free (as is my recent Nvidia experience), although there were a few instances where I noticed some problems with some driver versions. At least they follow a simpler numbering scheme and are single line only.

7. Aikimox

Aikimox Weihenstephaner!

Reputations:
    Totally agree with you.

8. EyeOfTheBeholder

EyeOfTheBeholder Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    I have a couple of question regarding multi-monitor support:

How much external monitors does the M6700 support when equipped with the K5000 and the IPS panel?
    Do I need a dock for if I want to hook up more than one 30" monitor? (I have read the M6700 supports DP daisy chaining, but I have not found a 30" monitor that has that feature. Any news on the U3012 maybe?)
    When will the dock be available in germany? I've only seen it in the US store so far.

What about Windows 8 and UEFI support?

9. Aaron44126

Aaron44126 Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    UEFI is supported but UEFI's "secure boot" does not appear to be.

I plan on asking about the details of multil-monitor support, but I think Bokeh posted that the NVIDIA card can now drive 4 displays (including internal), with Optimus disabled.

10. Bokeh

Bokeh Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    The K5000M supports 4 DisplayPort devices. The internal IPS monitor is attached via eDP. So 4 external or 3 external + the internal.

Also remember that the DP version in the M6700 supports daisy chaining monitors. Most current monitors do not support this yet, but future ones should.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.