The Notebook Review forums were hosted by TechTarget, who shut down them down on January 31, 2022. This static read-only archive was pulled by NBR forum users between January 20 and January 31, 2022, in an effort to make sure that the valuable technical information that had been posted on the forums is preserved. For current discussions, many NBR forum users moved over to NotebookTalk.net after the shutdown.

Graphics Card upgrade for M6800 ?

Discussion in 'Dell Latitude, Vostro, and Precision' started by derei, Jun 27, 2017.

1. AntiNSA

AntiNSA Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    why not try linux?

2. Aaron44126

Aaron44126 Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    There's no way to know except to try, and to my knowledge no one has tried it here. (I keep a close eye on GPU upgrade stories for the Precision line.) At well over $1000 for the card, it is an expensive upgrade to gamble on at this point. If you have that kind of money sitting around it probably makes more sense to just get a 7720 where you can be sure that it will work.

If you do end up trying it, let us know how it goes. :)

alexhawker likes this.
  3. AntiNSA

AntiNSA Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    I just perhaps found a p3000 I'll try to switch for my m3000m... One step at a time.. I'll keep you posted...

4. EvilDigit

EvilDigit Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Are you using 2GB or 4GB model of 680m and any specific model? I'm ready to upgrade my dead m8900 but cannot get my hands on a good non-expensive 7970m or a 680m. Plus I've read in the forums that an R9 m290x is also working with M6600. I currently have an MSI 8970m 2GB (aka R9 m290x) in my hands but it has no display. I'm really pooped up right now and can really use some help.

Also, sorry for posting it here in M6800 thread. But since your message was in this thread so...

5. Sandy Gibbs

Sandy Gibbs Newbie

Reputations:
    I successfully upgraded my M6800 to a gtx 965m. The only issue was modding the Nvidia inf file...which I found plenty of guides for after a google search. This doubled my fps in games whilst at the very least keeping up in 3d cad. The highest temp I've seen under heavy use is tad under 60c.................... very happy.

sicily428 likes this.
  6. sicily428

sicily428 Donuts!! :)

Reputations:
    could you test your system with 3dmark fire strike v1.1?

7. Sandisxxx

Sandisxxx Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Can you please also specify what MXM card you have used?

8. supermoth

supermoth Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Congrats!!!!
    Could you please tell us which drivers are you using?
    Thanks.

9. iieeann

iieeann Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    After so many months, I tried a vbios for P5000 86.04.2E.00.0D and this time it works with M6800 perfectly in Optimus and Descrete mode. Heard that it works with M6700 too. It is too late, but at least good to know Pascal still works with previous generation Precision.

[​IMG]

sicily428 and DynamiteZerg like this.
  10. DynamiteZerg

DynamiteZerg Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    @iieeann can share the vbios with us? Now I have an upgrade path for my M6800! :)

Which NVIDIA flashing tool did you used?

Anyone wants a 980M? :p

Last edited: May 2, 2018