The Notebook Review forums were hosted by TechTarget, who shut down them down on January 31, 2022. This static read-only archive was pulled by NBR forum users between January 20 and January 31, 2022, in an effort to make sure that the valuable technical information that had been posted on the forums is preserved. For current discussions, many NBR forum users moved over to NotebookTalk.net after the shutdown.

Graphics Card upgrade for M6800 ?

Discussion in 'Dell Latitude, Vostro, and Precision' started by derei, Jun 27, 2017.

1. supermoth

supermoth Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    No.I did not.The Edp to Hdmi route did not work.
    I will try it thanks for the input.

2. anrysvat

anrysvat Newbie

Reputations:
    Hi All. I am new in M6800. I have been installing GTX970M 6GB Blue version.
    The problem I have got that card it not detected properly. Then I modded NVIDIA driver and Install within Windows 10. Passmark does not seeing the card. And Heaven benchmark showing 11 fps average.
    Dell bios is updated to the latest A18. Card temperature is 42 degree.Power Supply is 240W
    What might prevent card to run in full power?

Last edited: Oct 25, 2018
  3. Aaron44126

Aaron44126 Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    Is graphics switching turned on in the BIOS? If it is, that might explain your issues.

It is easy making a mistake modding the INF that will prevent Optimus from working properly. So, everything will be stuck rendering using the Intel GPU. The options are, fix the INF mod and reinstall the driver, or go to the BIOS and turn graphics switching off.
    I have some details of the Optimus INF issue in my M6700/M5000M thread (link in signature). Basically the NVIDIA card shows up with a different device ID depending on whether Optimus is enabled or not. A 1 and 0 are flipped. Also, they made a change between Kepler and Maxwell about what the 1 and 0 mean. If you change the wrong device ID in the INF file you will get for example the "Optimus off" driver configuration installed when you really have "Optimus on" and Optimus will be broken.

4. anrysvat

anrysvat Newbie

Reputations:
    Many thanks for help. Now I have Optimus working.

5. dougyj01

dougyj01 Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
  6. Aaron44126

Reputations:
    Pascal GPUs are very hit and miss in this system. We have reports of the Quadro P5000 working but only with a very early engineering sample vBIOS. Retail vBIOS doesn't work, and other Pascal GPUs that have been tried don't work... I don't think that 1050Ti is a sure bet. Any GeForce 900 series GPU should work fine though.

7. Reciever

Reciever D! For Dragon!

Reputations:
    I know my question may not be entirely appropriate for this thread but wanted to pick your brain a bit just to confirm some things.

Essentially for 9XX series the compatibility seems to be the same regardless of m6700 or m6800 systems?

I have an ageing m4600 that I would like to retire and a spare 4700mq CPU. So I was thinking at the very least I could buy an m6800(w/i5)/m6700 that has no battery / RAM / OS / HDD / SSD since I already have plenty of spare parts and would be installing Linux KDE. So provided I wait long enough and a barebones system shows up I can have a fairly competent laptop for around 550-600 after everything is said and done?

8. Aaron44126

Reputations:
    Yes, you should have pretty good luck with a GeForce 900-series or Quadro M-series GPU in either of those systems.

Reciever likes this.
  9. Reciever

Reciever D! For Dragon!

Reputations:
    Its off topic but I wonder if the p5000 will work in the Ranger. Might be interesting.

Anyways thanks for the info on the m6700/m6800. I was hoping to find a reason to re-use my precision parts instead of abandoning the platform altogether.

10. FlowCpu

FlowCpu Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Upgraded my m6800 with a Clevo 980m but for the life of me after messing around with the inf file I still can't get the 417.35 driver to work, is this driver compatible with windows 10 enterprise LTSC or am I beating a dead horse with a incompatible driver?