The Notebook Review forums were hosted by TechTarget, who shut down them down on January 31, 2022. This static read-only archive was pulled by NBR forum users between January 20 and January 31, 2022, in an effort to make sure that the valuable technical information that had been posted on the forums is preserved. For current discussions, many NBR forum users moved over to NotebookTalk.net after the shutdown.

Graphics Card upgrade for M6800 ?

Discussion in 'Dell Latitude, Vostro, and Precision' started by derei, Jun 27, 2017.

1. JEAMN

JEAMN Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    I will definitely try it at some point. TPU has a few newer vBIOSs for the card. But to be honest, I'm kinda leary of flashing bioses from other vendors.

I'm not convinced, actually, that the vBIOS is the problem. That ES vBIOS probably is working around some bugs in the system UEFI/BIOS. That would explain it _all_ the pascal cards have the same problem, regardless of vendor or model. It also would explain why the vBIOS works fine as-as when loaded via virtual motherboard and OVMF uefi bios.

I got a chance to run the VM setup through FireStrike/Timespy last night:

firestrike - 1070VM.PNG timespy - 1070VM.PNG

Performance is indistinquishable from bare metal and that's without any VM tuning. I use my laptop mostly as a development platform with Linux, so rebooting to Win10 vs starting a VM doesn't make that much of a difference to me.

Next thing I'm going to try is to masquerade the PCI device id to a known id and see if that eliminates the need to mod the drivers to install.

Attached Files:

2. Aaron44126

Aaron44126 Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    Alright, so, as expected Quadro P5000 and GeForce 1070 have very similar performance here. On the M6700 I landed 11246 in Fire Strike and 4631 in Time Spy; and it makes sense that your scores would be a bit higher with the slightly faster CPU.
    Can you see what clock speed the 1070 is capping off at? (Just curious, it might also be running a little bit higher than the P5000.)

And yeah, if you use Linux primarily then the vBIOS thing would certainly be less of a problem I can see. Though since the ES vBIOS is the key to fixing the problem with the Quadro P5000, it seems that older vBIOS images are what have the best chance of working. I'm under the impression that something changed with the vBIOS during the later part of development for this generation that happened to break compatibility with these older systems (not intentionally, possibly exposing a bug/flaw in the Precision BIOS that was never encountered during normal use), and luckily there are some vBIOS images in the wild from before this breaking change.

3. JEAMN

Reputations:
    Here is the sensor info while running FireStrike/TimeSpy. (12007/4853) Topped off at 1632Mhz/129W/73C. I think temps might be a little low because I currently have it barely assembled and strewn all over my desk optimized for airflow.

firestrike-sensors.png timespy-sensors.png

4. Aaron44126

Reputations:
    Alright, thanks maybe a teeny bit higher than the Quadro P5000 which I see topping around 1620 MHz (but spends most of its time in the 15XX range).

5. JEAMN

Reputations:
    I wonder if that's not the right number. hwinfo shows 1632 for GPU Video Clock and 1822 for the GPU clock. Its the latter that shows up in the benchmark overlays.

6. supermoth

supermoth Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
  7. Aaron44126

Reputations:
    I saw that and I was wondering if it is averaging the video clock and memory clock to get the "plain old clock" value.
    GPU-Z should give you a clear answer at the top of the sensors tab. In my experience, the overlay that shows in Unigine products is correct. If the 1070 is running at 1800+ MHz, then that is a decent boost over the P5000.

8. Aaron44126

Reputations:
    I did not replace the thermal pads, I'm using the stock pads in the stock arrangement. (I moved the one covering the VRMs at the top over just a little bit to make sure that the extra one is covered.) I used Arctic MX-4 thermal paste, cleaning the old paste off with isopropyl alcohol. (In the M6700, to swap out the GPU you have to remove the CPU heatsink, so the CPU always gets a repaste as well...)

9. supermoth

supermoth Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Trying to update my Nvidia drivers I found out that from 386.45 series on with the Tesla M6 I have no information on my nvidia control panel.Also during driver installation the WMI module will fail to install when It did work perfectly on 350.xx series.

Is there a way to install everything with no restrictions?.
    It is really nice to have Nvidia Control Panel available.

Thanks in advance for your help.
    P.s by the way I just modded my drivers in order to work and deselected signature check to be able to install.Running Win 8.1 pro x64

10. RMSMajestic

RMSMajestic Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Okay fine,there u go

Attached Files:

madskillz and supermoth like this.