The Notebook Review forums were hosted by TechTarget, who shut down them down on January 31, 2022. This static read-only archive was pulled by NBR forum users between January 20 and January 31, 2022, in an effort to make sure that the valuable technical information that had been posted on the forums is preserved. For current discussions, many NBR forum users moved over to NotebookTalk.net after the shutdown.

Graphics Card upgrade for M6800 ?

Discussion in 'Dell Latitude, Vostro, and Precision' started by derei, Jun 27, 2017.

1. supermoth

supermoth Notebook Consultant

Reputations:

Will it work I guess with a GTX 1070?
    Also after reading again the whole thread from post 1,Is still mandatory to install both the P5000 and the GTX 1070 on a M6800 with EdP screen? .Is possible on LVDS?
    Thanks a lot for your help

2. 360freq

360freq Newbie

Reputations:
    why do some GPU's with x-brackets come with screws, if all the Dell heatsinks already have spring-loaded screws?

3. Aaron44126

Aaron44126 Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    LVDS will work but with Optimus enabled only.

You can install these cards in systems other than Dell...

4. 360freq

360freq Newbie

Reputations:
    of course.. i just figure all laps have heatsinks with screws, so whatever card one gets.. they'd always choose the screws (with springs) from their sink. the reason to use screws from GPU is if the bracket is a different hole size from our respective heatsink? .. like the Clevo which takes M1.5 or 1.6.

from what i've read here - to be safe, we should always use the spring screws from the sink, otherwise the thermal pads may not be solid and flush around the entire GPU when latched down.

if we don't have a bracket from a previous card, do we try to get lucky with the 980M's and continue to ask sellers if the X-bracket accepts M2 screws? the feedback is that many cards available are of "unknown origin", even if the listing states "Dell, Alienware, HP, MSI" etc.

5. Aaron44126

Reputations:
    Yes, for best results you really want a Dell X-bracket (or one that accepts the same size screws) so that you can use the Dell heatsink spring-loaded screws. I've been lucky, I suppose, both GPU upgrades that I have done have involved cards pulled from Dell systems so they came with the appropriate bracket pre-installed. If you're not getting a Quadro card (it is relatively easy to source Dell Quadro cards) and you don't have an existing card with a bracket to transfer, you might be in a tricky situation.

[Edit]
    Actually I just searched eBay and it looks like Dell MXM x-brackets are easy enough to find for around $18. So you could just pick up one of those if you are not sure.

6. 360freq

360freq Newbie

Reputations:
    yes, i have that saved in my watch list, as well as a few 980M cards. would prefer to use the $20 towards the GPU. a 980m sold this morning for $230, with x-bracket.. but seller didn't reply back regarding screw size. i'd like to obtain a GPU and 500gb mSATA (for Win10 ISO) before taking it apart to mod the heatsink, blow-out dust and reseat the gpu/cpu.

i have a small space, so i'll get one of those Cisco mounting magnets to keep screws in one place and keep notes in chronological order of disassembly. i know you do this frequently (like 2nd nature -so it seems) but i can't find a local tech that's expert in laptops. so, if there's any hints of efficient regarding the steps of disassembly, feel free to point me in that direction.

i can post at the M6800 thread once i go beyond the GPU. though i hope other noobs can benefit from my concerns.

7. RMSMajestic

RMSMajestic Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    For LVDS M6800 you will have to enable Optimus

8. Aaron44126

Reputations:
    Adding/replacing the mSATA drive is a lot less effort than tearing it down to the GPU, you just have to remove the bottom panel (two screws) for that.

Dell publishes manuals with pictures and all disassembly steps at support.dell.com. Note, since I took apart a M6800 for the first time last week, I found that at the removing the palm rest step, when removing screws from the bottom of the system, there were two or three that I had to remove that were not indicated in Dell's pictures. All of them have a "P" next to the screw so you'll just have to keep a lookout.

When I first started taking apart these systems I would have a piece of paper with labeled "boxes" on it where I would put all of the screws from each step. I've done it too many times now. I can take the M6700 apart, replace the GPU, clean and repaste everything, and put it back together all in less than half an hour, without looking at the manual or specially organizing the screws that come out... I hope I don't have to do it anymore though :p

9. supermoth

Reputations:
    Thanks for the info.I may take the P5000/GTX 1070 route sooner or later.
    At the moment I am enjoying the Tesla M6.

By the way how many watts draw both cards?.Do they need a special power brick,or is it ok with the standard 240w one that comes with the M6800?

My last question...I did install a 4910MQ,could be a bottleneck in case of upgrading to the P5000 or GTX 1070?

Last edited: Feb 12, 2019
  10. supermoth

Reputations: