The Notebook Review forums were hosted by TechTarget, who shut down them down on January 31, 2022. This static read-only archive was pulled by NBR forum users between January 20 and January 31, 2022, in an effort to make sure that the valuable technical information that had been posted on the forums is preserved. For current discussions, many NBR forum users moved over to NotebookTalk.net after the shutdown.

Graphics Card upgrade for M6800 ?

Discussion in 'Dell Latitude, Vostro, and Precision' started by derei, Jun 27, 2017.

1. JEAMN

JEAMN Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    What do you have for a power adapter? Any funky power settings in the bios?

2. Jlmilford

Jlmilford Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    240w. Power supply. As for settings, I don’t think so..

The color screen test with th “d” key , does that run through the gpu?

Shouldn’t it boot with th intel hd onboard gpu even with the card in?

:confused:.... gulp*

3. Aaron44126

Aaron44126 Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    Yes, however, it's possible that an installed card can prevent the system boot. I was experiencing this with the P5000 in the M6700 before I flashed it.
    In your case, I guess I'd reset the BIOS to default settings just to be safe, but I don't know why the card would not be working unless it is actually faulty... Unfortunately you'd need another system to try it in to test that :-\

4. Jlmilford

Reputations:
    Ok.. since it did this 2-3 times prior I was hoping it was something in the setting or BIOS..

Seems crazy that any of that would brick it.. the vbios flash seemed the riskiest part about that process. And that was “successful”. Got a pic of my gpu-z window next to the one posted and the only thing different was the pixel fill ratio numbers and system ID.

5. Jlmilford

Reputations:
    I think the system id had the code of LVDS WITH Optimus. Could it be it’s checking for Optimus? I haven’t seen anything with that name anywhere on this computer?

6. Aaron44126

Aaron44126 Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    All M6800's with NVIDIA GPUs have Optimus. You can see it as a on/off toggle in the BIOS video settings. (Actually it might just say "graphics switching" instead of "Optimus" on this system since it also works with AMD. Optimus is the name of NVIDIA's graphics switching implementation.) If you see both the Intel HD graphics and the NVIDIA GPU in Device Manager then you have Optimus turned on.

Err, actually, any chance that you have gone and disabled "graphics switching" in the BIOS while working on this for whatever reason? If you have an LVDS system then that would totally cause a blank-screen no-boot with the P5000 installed. Optimus/graphics switching is required with Pascal cards in this system if you have LVDS.

I don't think that anything that you did bricked your card... If it is actually bad then I suspect that it came bad :-\

[Edit]
    Also with regards to cleaning off thermal paste. Use isopropyl alcohol and a q-tip. You can get it at the local pharmacy / drug store. (Get the highest % you can find)

7. Jlmilford

Reputations:
    i am going to root around in the bios.. Is there a secret VIP section in bios? seems like i read that somewhere.

also should it be set on legacy, i cant remember if that was mentioned?

8. JEAMN

JEAMN Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Sorry, that was a reference to myself, not you! If you got your card to boot at all, you didn't brick it.

9. Jlmilford

Reputations:
    here is a pic when i did have it going.. the window on the left is mine the one on the right is a pic of the one you posted Image-2.jpeg

10. Jlmilford

Reputations:
    Image-5.jpeg when I remove the P5000 after failed booting, and re-installing the K4100 here is the screen upon boot up..

then a couple logs in the diagnostic