The Notebook Review forums were hosted by TechTarget, who shut down them down on January 31, 2022. This static read-only archive was pulled by NBR forum users between January 20 and January 31, 2022, in an effort to make sure that the valuable technical information that had been posted on the forums is preserved. For current discussions, many NBR forum users moved over to NotebookTalk.net after the shutdown.

Graphics Card upgrade for M6800 ?

Discussion in 'Dell Latitude, Vostro, and Precision' started by derei, Jun 27, 2017.

1. Aaron44126

Aaron44126 Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    There's no "secret settings" in the BIOS, what you see is what there is.
    I have done all of my work on this in UEFI mode and not legacy.

2. Jlmilford

Jlmilford Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Is there anything that could be preventing post and booting relative to the frequency and clock?

Read something about possible gpu not booting due to some discrepancy between clocking frequency and bios or cpu? But now I can’t find the article..

Mentioned a thermal trip due to it as well.. I didn’t know if all that could be happening upon boot up?

Also I saw some stuff about the #M1004 “Hotter than expected” error upon boot every time I change the card out.. mentioned having to actually reset that particular error manually?

Then between the relation of the tripping of that error, and being caused by some sort of clock frequency being higher that it’s suppose to be..? Maybe

3. DynamiteZerg

DynamiteZerg Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Is it possible to post a picture of your current Nvidia heatsink and thermal pads used for the P5000?

4. Jlmilford

Reputations:
    It’s not set up at the moment but I have both versions of the heatsink, and was using the flat version . Also for pads I based pads on what was said on or around page 8. I did reuse a few of the blues.

However I did try just to boot up without a heatsink to see if it was some issue with it.. didn’t work either...it boots fine with no card at all into the intel onboard graphics.

I do have to switch the x-bracket as the original had some extended thread bosses on the back. The one on my k4100 worked nicely.

DynamiteZerg likes this.
  5. Aaron44126

Aaron44126 Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    Any chance the card was damaged while removing the old x-bracket? The smallest knick can cause major trouble. (Look at me damaging my M6700 motherboard last year, afterwards it would boot but with pretty big problems.)

6. Jlmilford

Reputations:
    Well, I don’t see anything that looks to have any clue of damage.. shiny. I warmed it up and it peeled off without a chisel, so I figured good to go..

But I guess I’m not sure how to definitively check outside of the fact it isn’t working... but then I keep thinking it did work for a bit? Then I go cry myself to sleep out of confusion...

7. DynamiteZerg

Reputations:
    The only things I can think of are:
    1. Did you remove the CMOS battery and reset the BIOS settings?
    2. Is your GPU fan working?
    3. Have a sniff of the card, both front and back, do you detect any smell of something that's been burnt?
    4. Are there any signs of a component or components of the board being burnt or damaged?

8. Jlmilford

Reputations:
    I did remove cmos bat and reset bios, but I think it was after the card had stopped working.

Fan is working fine with the old card, it pulses on one at startup attempt with the p5000.

Nothing smells burn , nor looks as if it has burned or contact damage.. I was going to have a look under my comparator.. magnify it 50x or so.

Seems like people I’ve mentioned it to here says it sounds like it’s some sort of lack of power to the board.. but they have only desktop knowledge.

9. DynamiteZerg

Reputations:
    That is really odd. I have the M6800 with the P5000 as well. It runs well on battery or on the 240W brick. I am really at a loss of what's going on in your case.

However, your troubleshooting seems to narrow it down to either the P5000 or some sort of cooling issue (since it generates the heat alarm message for your K4100M).

10. Jlmilford

Reputations:
    Yeah.. I really do appreciate you all thinking about it.

The weird thing about that thermal alarm is the fact It only occurs if I install the p5000, try to start up... which fails. Then reinstall k4100 and start up, which displays that #1004 error less than a second in. That makes me think it was an error carried over from the instant shutdown with the P5000..

When looking that error up it seems not to be so much related to the gpu but rather the “system board”, which I’m guessing Is more motherboard.

Is sounds like a short occurs and triggers a shutdown which is classified as a thermal error. But only when that p5000 is in.

Last edited: Feb 18, 2019