The Notebook Review forums were hosted by TechTarget, who shut down them down on January 31, 2022. This static read-only archive was pulled by NBR forum users between January 20 and January 31, 2022, in an effort to make sure that the valuable technical information that had been posted on the forums is preserved. For current discussions, many NBR forum users moved over to NotebookTalk.net after the shutdown.

Graphics Card upgrade for M6800 ?

Discussion in 'Dell Latitude, Vostro, and Precision' started by derei, Jun 27, 2017.

1. supermoth

supermoth Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    So I am confused,just because I did not open yet my M6800.
    The spring-loaded screws in the HS are the only screws needed to get the card and xbracket attached to the main board?.
    Where can I get a set of different screw sizes compatible to perform this task?
    Excuse my ignorance,I am just trying to properly educate myself into this upgrade madness

2. DynamiteZerg

DynamiteZerg Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    The Corsair Vengeance 2133MHz works only at 1600MHz but the Kingston ones do work at 2133MHz. It's DDR ram so 1066x2=2133MHz!

Part number is HX321LS11IB2K2/16.

3. ijozic

ijozic Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Yeah, it was posted already. :)

Since I have the M6700 with an IPS screen, it gives me some hope among these failed attempts on the M6700 w Optimus and M6800 with eDP..

4. iieeann

iieeann Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    The X bracket is glued at the back of graphic card, can be removed by hair drier heating. For M6x00 the X-bracket looks like this:-
    [​IMG]

Graphic card sold with or without pre-attached X-Bracket. Common screw size is M1.5 and M2. M1.5 commonly used by Clevo, M6x00 use M2. If the card comes without X-bracket, install your own. With existing bracket, if it fits for M6x00 heatsink then fine. If no, either remove the bracket with hair drier and replace with the correct type; or accommodate it by removing the spring loaded screws at the heatsink and use the common M1.5 screws.

be EXTRA CAREFUL when you are using common M1.5 screw to secure the card because common screw has no stopper so you will feel like still has plenty of room to tighten. Never tighten to maximum otherwise the graphic card will break into two or bend/crack. You can't really notice if the card is bent, unless you try tighten the heatsink and card without installing the card on the mainboard first, so you have free view of whether it is properly secure and how much "strength" you should apply on each screw when later properly install on the mainboard.

When the graphic card is bent, the main chipset and RAM may still in tact with the heatsink, but the ICs & capacitor at the end of the card will not get in touch with the thermal pad, which will at the end damaged after some times.

M1.5 x-bracket is very easy to find. M2 is difficult. Please note that it is not necessary to glue the X-bracket to the graphic card using the black sticker. a simple double sided tape will do at spot corners, you just need to make sure it is attached to the card, and with this the X-bracket can be removed easily and reuse back later.

Last edited: Jul 14, 2017
    supermoth likes this.
  5. iieeann

Reputations:
    This is the outlook for graphic card heatsink of M6800.
    [​IMG]

This is the side get in touch with the graphic card.

[​IMG]
    The position of main chip and RAM will normally remain the same, but not the ICs/Capasitor where those blue colour thermal pad is. You may need to adjust them according to the new graphic card. It is better to buy and keep several thickness of thermal pad to make sure all the ICs are intact with the heatsink.

M6800 Nvidia Heatsink hasTWO types!!
    Both having exactly same K6D33 codes, and i have both types. The one shown above is common type, but note the place i put in read square. That part is actually higher then left and right side. This heatsink will NOT fit Nvidia card with 3 big capacitors.

[​IMG]
    This is a better type this photo i found in the web, I am currently using this in my laptop. no extrusion that will block the capacitor. Same model number, you have to make sure what kind of heatsink you are having or you will be trapped if the new graphic card does not fit with your heatsink. No need to dismantle the heatsink to check, from the top you can differentiate.

supermoth likes this.
  6. supermoth

Reputations:
    Thanks a lot for your help.I hope everything will work ok.I will keep you posted.

7. supermoth

Reputations:
    I will follow your advise.Thanks for your help.

8. supermoth

Reputations:
    I just forgot what pads do you recomend as well as its thickness.
    Cheers

9. iieeann

Reputations:
    1.5mm, 2mm, 2.5mm, 3mm for blue type. For light yellow type you will need 1mm and 1.5mm. I do not know the name of different type of thermal pad, only thing is the light yellow type is more sticky, easily broken and won't return to original state so difficult to relocate. Blue type is more spongy and can be relocated. The one at main chip is phase change type, considered best alternative after common thermal paste, can be used only once, but no need to buy this type just use thermal paste instead.

10. iieeann

Reputations:
    Latest update for the P5000 card (Retail). The seller managed to replicate the problem i encountered by installing the card on Alienware, BSOD on windows loading. That means Alienware is not able to run Pascal as well.

However this is overcome after flushing the vbios from Engineering version. This ES vbios is given by the user who managed to install P5000 (ES) on M6700, it seems this bios will become the life saver, thank god....

If this is the case, the same requirement will apply to P4000 and P3000, need to find the ES vbios for these cards.

Last edited: Jul 18, 2017