The Notebook Review forums were hosted by TechTarget, who shut down them down on January 31, 2022. This static read-only archive was pulled by NBR forum users between January 20 and January 31, 2022, in an effort to make sure that the valuable technical information that had been posted on the forums is preserved. For current discussions, many NBR forum users moved over to NotebookTalk.net after the shutdown.

Graphics Card upgrade for M6800 ?

Discussion in 'Dell Latitude, Vostro, and Precision' started by derei, Jun 27, 2017.

1. TheQuentincc

TheQuentincc Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    iirc no P5200 were tested in M6700 and M6800 ?

2. Aaron44126

Aaron44126 Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    ...Pretty sure @RMSMajestic tried this out without success?

3. Xythol

Xythol Newbie

Reputations:
    That's a shame. Guess I'll get a P4000 then. Thanks.

4. atlan

atlan Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Hi there! Finaly i lauched nVidia Tesla M6 on my M6800 with LVDS interface.
    cache & cpu.png total.PNG tesla.PNG FM.jpg
    If needed more information about installation, thermal pads and working interfaces detailed there in theme.

Troika and supermoth like this.
  5. Troika

Troika Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    This is really good to see because I found someone selling a Tesla M6 for $95, which is a whole heck of a lot cheaper than a 980m or a M5000M. I can't wait to put this power house of a gpu into my own M6800. It'll definitely be price competitive with any modern laptop with a GTX 1650 :3 It'll also have the added benefit that the parts for these Dell Precisions are easy to come by and fairly easy to replace if they stop working, unlike new laptops where just about everything is soldered onto the motherboard so it costs just as much as buying a whole new laptop to fix one.

6. supermoth

supermoth Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Congrats on your bargain. The M6 has been running rock solid on my M6800 for almost 3 years. Just for your info, the best approach to have a seamless install is to get the right heatsink for it and the exact pads to get a stable experience.
    Enjoy it.

Troika likes this.
  7. Aaron44126

Aaron44126 Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    Do note that the Tesla M6 requires Optimus enabled at all times, and HDMI and DisplayPort outputs will not work with it. (Tesla cards do not have any direct output capability.)

Troika likes this.
  8. Troika

Troika Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    Well, I'm not sure the deal will go through. I haven't heard from the person in a while. I may have to go with the normal 980m/M5000M route.

To that note, I found some 980m cards for $199.99 out of china on ebay. Has anyone had any issues with these? If not, I may try checking around Aliexpress and see if I can find a better deal.

9. TheQuentincc

TheQuentincc Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    I believe 200$ for a Maxwell MXM card is a bit much, you can usually find them at 150$

10. Troika

Troika Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    Well, that's what they're selling for on ebay. I don't really know where else to check other than Eurocom, which will be even more expensive.