The Notebook Review forums were hosted by TechTarget, who shut down them down on January 31, 2022. This static read-only archive was pulled by NBR forum users between January 20 and January 31, 2022, in an effort to make sure that the valuable technical information that had been posted on the forums is preserved. For current discussions, many NBR forum users moved over to NotebookTalk.net after the shutdown.

Graphics Card upgrade for M6800 ?

Discussion in 'Dell Latitude, Vostro, and Precision' started by derei, Jun 27, 2017.

1. Troika

Troika Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    Well, I wasn't able to really do a whole lot while I was at work other than bork my windows install and oofing my mouse and keyboard by uninstalling a partly broken usb driver. I'll try again when I get another chance.

For now, I am just running the Firepro M6100, which is still way more powerful than the excuse of a gpu that is the HD 7570M that my HP Probook has. I tried installing up to date drivers from AMD and original drivers from Dell but both fail to run or complete on the my M6800 but when I let windows 7's updater download and install the driver, a fairly old one at that, it does work. Is there a particular way I'm supposed to install newer drivers for the M6100?

2. Troika

Troika Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    Hah! I did it! I cut and ground the Nvidia heatsink for the M6800 until it fit on the 970M from work. :D And boy howdy! Its quite the upgrade from my old Probook. xD A more fair comparison is between the M6100 that originally came with my M6800 and the 970M. Doing the INF mod itself really isn't difficult at all. I followed the link that @Aaron44126 provided and the directions that I found there. It was quite easy to be honest, just a tad confusing and overwhelming at first cause its a lot of lines of characters n' such.

3. Dylan Priest

Dylan Priest Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Are there vbios working for Quadro P2000? I know most people want the 3000-5000 but I'd like to save some heat/power and it's still an upgrade for me

4. Zero 1

Zero 1 Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    the card will work provided you are edp im fairly certain its edp for the m6800 getting optimus to run is an absolute bear but is possible but yes the quadro p5000 works in these machines just like in its brother the alienware 17 r1

5. Dylan Priest

Reputations:
    Is there a way to know if it's eDP?

6. Zero 1

Reputations:
    i think an app like hardware info can identify if its edp or lvds . what gpu did yours ship with ?

7. Dylan Priest

Reputations:
    That's a problem; I don't have one yet. I'm waiting to buy; the one I'm looking at doesn't actually have a GPU, just hd 4600.

8. Zero 1

Reputations:
    okay if you have the intel graphics drivers installed hit ctrl+alt+f12 then click options and support then click information center then look where it says select options and click the drop down arrow to built in display it will say embedded display port if its edp :)

9. Zero 1

Reputations:
    yeah its going to be a thing youw ill need to ask the seller to follow the steps i provided here and have them provide pics :)

10. Aaron44126

Aaron44126 Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    No. Quadro P5000 works with a special engineering sample vBIOS to work in Precision M6700 or M6800. If you do not have it, Windows will BSOD at boot with an ACPI error. This is true with all Pascal-based GPUs. We do not have any such vBIOS for the P2000.

You can use one of these GPUs (P3000/P4000/P5000) without eDP if you keep graphics switching / Optimus enabled.

Last edited: Sep 6, 2021
    Zero 1 likes this.