The Notebook Review forums were hosted by TechTarget, who shut down them down on January 31, 2022. This static read-only archive was pulled by NBR forum users between January 20 and January 31, 2022, in an effort to make sure that the valuable technical information that had been posted on the forums is preserved. For current discussions, many NBR forum users moved over to NotebookTalk.net after the shutdown.

Precision 7560 & 7760 Owners' Thread

Discussion in 'Dell Latitude, Vostro, and Precision' started by hoxuantu, Jul 8, 2021.

?

Which Precision do you own?

1. 7560

50.0%
  2. 7760

50.0%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. Ionising_Radiation

Ionising_Radiation ?v = ve*ln(m0/m1)

Reputations:
    Ah, crap. I don't think we'll be able to get any more information about the panel without actually disassembling the lid. It's a 60 Hz 4K with Adobe RGB coverage, and HDR 600... Only a few results on Panelook.

2. Ionising_Radiation

Reputations:
    I notice unacceptable throttling when stress-testing with Cinebench R23: the Xeon CPU ramps back to base clock and draws 35 W. The fans at full tilt can perfectly cool the CPU—I don't see a problem here. I think I need to see what's happening using ThrottleStop.

Vasudev likes this.
  3. Ionising_Radiation

Reputations:
    And ThrottleStop 9.4 fixes the problem! This deep throttling is caused by the MMIO power limits, and these can be disabled by going to FIVR -> Disable and lock Turbo power limits (checkbox on the right). Now the CPU hangs around 75 W effortlessly, and trounces my old Xeon.

4. kbedrich

kbedrich Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Well great... c'mon Dell...
    I did some research on it and found this guy explaining my issue, but with their 7530: https://www.dell.com/community/Prec...Precision-7530-multiple-problems/td-p/7194380
    And also this screenshot, which shows the power draw discrepancy very well: https://i.imgur.com/jfZjALy.png

5. Ionising_Radiation

Reputations:
    zhongze12345 and alittleteapot like this.
  6. kbedrich

Reputations:
    Haha no way! It was the first hit on google when I looked up 7530 battery drain.

7. Ionising_Radiation

Reputations:
    Yeah, I've been quite vocal about it. I even got my 7530 replaced in 2019, a year after I first got my original 7530 to attempt to fix the problem, but no dice. I wanted to try to escalate this to the engineers themselves to see if I could have a direct line of contact with them, but to no avail.

Incidentally, I don't see this issue on my 7560. Idle power is around 6 W, and I haven't charged the notebook since I unplugged it around 5 hours ago (at 80%), and it's sitting at around 45%. I'm pretty pleased with it, but unfortunately my Windows profiles aren't syncing, so I need to fix that.

zhongze12345 likes this.
  8. kbedrich

Reputations:
    That's interesting. What Nvidia driver is installed?
    I'm also wondering if only the earlier batches of the 7560/7760 have this problem, and not the newer batches. I ordered mine two days after it became available on Dell's website, and I got it delivered late June (two weeks ahead of schedule, too)

9. Ionising_Radiation

Reputations:
    463.02, the one from Dell. My notebook also came with BIOS 1.2.2 installed as default.

10. kbedrich

Reputations:
    Mine came with I believe the same Nvidia driver (it's the first one that supports the T1200-A5000 series I think), but it came with 1.1.2 installed default. I am on 1.2.2 right now, and I've experienced the odd power behavior on both BIOS versions.
    I slightly remember having very good battery life when I first got the laptop, but one day the battery life just tanked, I'm not sure though, my memory of it is bad.
    I have a feeling it happened when I installed MSI afterburner and messed around with it some. I wish I could factory reset this laptop, but I don't want to go through that long process right now.

zhongze12345 likes this.