The Notebook Review forums were hosted by TechTarget, who shut down them down on January 31, 2022. This static read-only archive was pulled by NBR forum users between January 20 and January 31, 2022, in an effort to make sure that the valuable technical information that had been posted on the forums is preserved. For current discussions, many NBR forum users moved over to NotebookTalk.net after the shutdown.

Precision 7530 & Precision 7730 owner's thread

Discussion in 'Dell Latitude, Vostro, and Precision' started by Aaron44126, Jun 27, 2018.

1. Ionising_Radiation

Ionising_Radiation ?v = ve*ln(m0/m1)

Reputations:
    Fairly straightforward to use: once you install it, click on the FIVR button which opens a new window:
    [​IMG]
    You see four radio buttons at the top, these control which CPU element (cores, cache, iGPU, uncore) your voltage changes are applicable to.

Check the 'Unlock adjustable voltage' checkbox which allows the sliders beneath to be moved. You want to focus on the Offset voltage slider.

The 7X30 notebooks contain Coffee Lake CPUs which undervolt really well (as do most of Intel's 14 nm products), so you might want to start off with a -100 mV offset (both core and cache), test for stability (games, CPU benchmarks, etc), and slowly drop it more negative. I recall my Xeon E-2176M was able to hold a –140 mV undervolt which boosted CineBench scores by nearly 1200.

You will need an older firmware version (I think 1.12 was the last that allowed undervolting directly), or follow the instructions in this post of mine to use EFI variables to enable the undervolt capability with newer versions. For myself and others, upgrading to the latest, downgrading back to 1.12, resetting to factory defaults, and upgrading again enabled undervolting again.

2. frostbytes

frostbytes Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Perfect. Thanks very much for this! Much appreciated.

3. pspfreak

pspfreak Newbie

Reputations:
    Apparently you and I are the only two people to ever have this problem. I had the drivers from the dell website installed for the longest time and it was working fine, i updated my nvidia driver due to an unrelated issue and the problem is back again. I've never seen the BSOD before but my latencymon looks similar to yours.
    upload_2021-12-21_2-36-32.png

Attached Files:

4. Ende4711

Ende4711 Newbie

Reputations:
    @pspfreak freak,

[​IMG]
    You may install windows completely new/ fresh, this might help, before you spend more time on it without any success...

5. frostbytes

Reputations:
    I think I've narrowed down the problem to cooling. After trying everything that I could think of (running CHKDSK, uninstalling all software that I don't use regularly), I cleaned out the fans again, elevated the back of the laptop and pointed a small desk fan at it, and... the maddening slow downs are gone. For good measure, I also bought this: https://www.amazon.ca/gp/product/B005C31HC0/.

I noticed when the system was running slowly, generic "system interrupts" were chewing up 25-35% of CPU usage in task manager. I haven't seen that happen since addressing cooling.

6. frostbytes

Reputations:
    I updated my BIOS and latest Dell drivers. It's been a few days now and have not run into any issues.

7. Ionising_Radiation

Ionising_Radiation ?v = ve*ln(m0/m1)

Reputations:
    Any comment on this?

8. heikkuri

heikkuri Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Does it start with battery disconnected? What if you use charger and cables from other Dell Precision laptop?

9. frostbytes

Reputations: