The Notebook Review forums were hosted by TechTarget, who shut down them down on January 31, 2022. This static read-only archive was pulled by NBR forum users between January 20 and January 31, 2022, in an effort to make sure that the valuable technical information that had been posted on the forums is preserved. For current discussions, many NBR forum users moved over to NotebookTalk.net after the shutdown.

M4700 Owners Thread

Discussion in 'Dell Latitude, Vostro, and Precision' started by ejl1980, Aug 11, 2012.

1. ejl1980

ejl1980 Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    It was A selling point. It makes it easier to set up with dual monitors and replace a desktop. Plus the dock also works with the Latitude so its win win. I already have the sheet battery that works on both computers as well.

2. g1981c

g1981c Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    nice. i didn't care for the dock. i wanted quadro, good cooling and good build quality, plus the ability to run both an SSD and a rotational drive in the same machine.

i used to have a thinkpad way back and a unibody macbook pro more recently and both of those were very well built. i also had some poorly built cheaper laptops, so i understood that quality build comes at a premium price.

in my estimate, when both the build quality and performance are considered the M4700 is worth it. but the best part is having both performance and build quality in the same machine, rather than having a macbook pro for build quality and an alienware or Origin for performance.

3. ejl1980

Reputations:
    And if something goes wrong, the NBD service is great. I had a vostro have USB issues, they overnighted the parts to the tech, and he was able to come out next day. Three years of that with no added cost is nice. I don't like that I couldn't order complete care without upgrading to pro support though. I have no interest in pro support, but I would have paid for the accidental damage warranty.

4. g1981c

g1981c Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    internals pics ...

Attached Files:

5. g1981c

g1981c Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    more internal pics ...

Attached Files:

6. ejl1980

Reputations:
    Where's the mSATA slot?

Also, all the pics in the manual show MXM type A slot.

7. Athar

Athar Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    If they didn't change, from M4600, it the same slot as WWAN Module (It's WWAN or mSATA).

8. g1981c

g1981c Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    * minimum 10 characters message *

Attached Files:

9. g1981c

g1981c Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    that's right. it is labeled as both. jpeg compression made the text unreadable, but i can take a close up if there is any doubt lol.

also i have no idea what MXM type A slot is, or for that matter where did you find the manual ? the only manual i have seen is for the M6700.

link ?

anyway the bottom cover is off while i'm waiting for my msata ( hopefully tomorrow ) so let me know if you want a close up shot of anything on the bottom side.

i don't plan to get under the keyboard again as i already installed the ram there ... did not take any pics. whoever gets under the keyboard next should probably take some.

10. ejl1980

Reputations:
    The manual is linked to in the first post of this thread.
    MXM type A is the video card slot. Theres a type B and a type A.

Whats that other half height slot for?