The Notebook Review forums were hosted by TechTarget, who shut down them down on January 31, 2022. This static read-only archive was pulled by NBR forum users between January 20 and January 31, 2022, in an effort to make sure that the valuable technical information that had been posted on the forums is preserved. For current discussions, many NBR forum users moved over to NotebookTalk.net after the shutdown.

M6600 Owners Thread

Discussion in 'Dell Latitude, Vostro, and Precision' started by tomcom2k, May 23, 2011.

1. Juhantti

Juhantti Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    OK. Then I just have to try if I can survive with only Firepro m6100.

I monitored the CPU and GPU with current Quadro 4000m and i7-2760QM. I did not have any else programs running than Speccy and task manager. I kept it 5 minutes that way. All the time fan was running (it stil is).

1. Is that 48 celsius bit high with 2% CPU load?
    2. Why my GPU temp can be higher than my CPU temp? As far as I know the dedicated GPU is not used at all with low loads because optimus is enabled.
    3. It would be nice to know what temeratures I can expecting with that Firepro M6100.
    4. Can i expect to get these temperatures decreasing a bit by changing the CPU paste and putting new paste also to Firepro?

upload_2020-11-14_11-39-56.png

2. Juhantti

Reputations:
    Seems that now I know why the GPU temperature is quite high as well. My HD3000 graphics were not working at all anymore. I do not know if that was because new windows 10 update or have I just done something stupid here. However I managed to install that HD 3000 but there is warning sign that it is not working properly.

I tried to update driver here as well:

https://www.dell.com/support/home/fi-fi/product-support/product/precision-m6600/drivers

But installation failed and message was: "System does not match minimum requirements".

Actually I noticed the problem when trying to play Dirt 3 rally game which run very well earlier but was now impossible to play. I do not understand that problem either because I think that should be running with my Quadro 4000M anyway which still is working properly according to device manager.

Äh, sorry about spamming stupid questions but it would be nice to get some help to this.

3. Juhantti

Reputations:
    I was disabled the quadro 4000m so that explains why the rally game did not work.

The HD 3000 still do not work. Now I tried with service tag to find correct driver from Dell. Still the message is that system does not match minimum requirements and I can not install the drivers:

upload_2020-11-14_19-56-22.png

upload_2020-11-14_19-56-57.png

My driver version on this M6600 is:9.17.10.4459 which seems to be exactly the same version on my M4600 where this HD 3000 is working just fine according to device manager.

upload_2020-11-14_20-4-30.png

upload_2020-11-14_20-5-8.png

4. Juhantti

Reputations:
    Before anyone uses any time to my stupid spam messages I have to say that problem is solved. I saw from BIOS that Optimus was disabled.

Maybe some windows update disabled my HD 3000 graphics which then automatically disabled optimus as well. When I now enabled optimus the HD 3000 was installed automatically and it works just fine.

5. Juhantti

Reputations:
    Some interesting info about my battery problem.

As I mentioned earlier when I bought this m6600 laptop it shutted off immediately after less than 1 minute on battery even though battery was still 99% full. It shutted like from light switch without any normal Windows shutting down operations.

I bought new battery from ebay which made no difference for that at all.

Then I bought new motherboard and M6100 GPU. (GPU was just update nothing wrong with current quadro 4000M).

As I mentioned I bought also M4600 one month ago.

Today I decided (I do not know why) to try this M6600 with M4600 battery. I can not understand why but with this battery this M6600 runs perfectly. It has been now 3 hours with that and I am now writing this message also without charger plugged in.

I also tried the original M6600 battery and ebay battery to M4600 and those works perfecty there. This is unbelievable! How this can be so that this M6600 works with M4600 battery but not with two other batteries?

I have no idea which are genuine batteries. My ebay battery is not because I bought that from China but the "original" battery on M6600 I do not know even thouh it has DELL brands which my ebay battery do not have. Also the "M4600" battery has Dell brand on it. This seems to work in my M6600 but I do not know is this really genuine or not.

Does anyone have any reasonable theory what is the roo cause for my mystery problem? I have now brand new motherboard and brand new m6100 gpu. I guess I start haunting m6600 which has motherboard failure and buid up new laptop. This whole mess costed me more than 100€ because I bougt that GPU as well only because I thought I had to change motherboard anyway.

6. Intognito

Intognito Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Well I used battery from 5737 for a while to flash bios. Now I changet motherboard too, becouse old one got friend and fan control wasn't working. And becouse I have GPU that doesnt work on the board I got bit into territory where you just need to reset the settings to get something working. Unpluging onboard battery than holding powerbutton for some time and then pluging everithing back all togehter and you get fully working system. Exept it wasnt working for my old problem with cooling fans system and everithing else got back to working order. So maybe you just got something in memory of motherboard that just told it to not trust bateries or something.

7. Juhantti

Reputations:
    Thanks about repy. If you mean this kind of method I tried this also without any help:

https://www.ncconsumer.org/news-articles-eg/resetting-a-dell-laptop-battery-in-five-quick-steps.html

But my problem is not that BIOS/Win 10 does not recognize the batteries. The probplem just is that system can use those batteries only 40 seconds or so.

8. Intognito

Intognito Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    So I just got my laptop fully working. Instaled M6100 and now I´m finaly runing Windows. And I got the problem with battery too but maybe a bit diferent one. So first of all charger. Does the laptop work on battery with no charger, or does it power off in same way? And I would try to download and istall Dell Battery Information which will also let you choose way of charging, and inform you about the power adapter. Note that recomended adapter for M6600 is 210 W. I found out that if you have less than that, you might get to cpu throtling and your computer will just go to sleep after it overshoots your momental power limit from adapter. Additionaly my laptop will go to sleep after comleting charging of the battery, with message that battery is out of power and has to be changet, even thoug after powering the laptop back up it will work just fine.

9. Aaron44126

Aaron44126 Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    You are right about the power adapter, this system needs 210W or 240W for proper operation. The system should not be going to sleep or powering off at all, that is not normal behavior. It should be able to run on battery without sleeping or powering off, until the battery gets to a low enough level that the Windows power manager shuts it off (depending on the thresholds that you have set in Windows power options). Note that performance on battery will be reduced; the system can only draw 100W from the battery so it cannot reach a high CPU and GPU load.

10. Juhantti

Reputations:
    Yes it powers off when charger is unplugged and it runs just with battery. If I take battery out and put charger in it worked just fine. My charger is 210W. As mentioned now one battery seems to have electricity which my M6600 is not allergic for so I can run with this one battery though. Very strange problem indeed.

Another annoying issue is that computer freezes totally sometimes. This happends only once/month though and I have not found it would hapen more often in certain tasks. I have gave that up. This is just the feature of my M6600 and I can live with that if that happens so rarely. If someone has had same problem with M6600 and has managed to solve this issue I am happy to hear the solution but at the moment I can live with this feature.