The Notebook Review forums were hosted by TechTarget, who shut down them down on January 31, 2022. This static read-only archive was pulled by NBR forum users between January 20 and January 31, 2022, in an effort to make sure that the valuable technical information that had been posted on the forums is preserved. For current discussions, many NBR forum users moved over to NotebookTalk.net after the shutdown.

M6600 Owners Thread

Discussion in 'Dell Latitude, Vostro, and Precision' started by tomcom2k, May 23, 2011.

1. Intognito

Intognito Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    If the power adapter is in the right wattage, I dont see the problem, But becouse Im bit of a trouble findig out all the faults on my machine, I will keep you informed. You might just need to stick to exchanginch batteries betven your M4600 an M6600, becouse if it works, it works, right? Only thing I found is that I cant really do anything that needs a lot of power becouse my charger, but when its unpluget something like GPU goes only to half of its power, meaning its slowed down by power output of battery. I might just sell my M6600 becouse its too big and not powerfull enough to replace my desktop, but I might try to replace my GPU with something better then FirePro M6100 after I get dock and try out if dysplay will output work on it. Something like RX 480, even thougt is seem out of range, would be great. So i would keep you informed. For now, I dont have anithing more to say about your battery problem so I wish you good luck.

2. bartasb

bartasb Newbie

Reputations:
    Hi. I have Dell M6600 laptop - I like it a lot cause you can replace CPU/GPU/RAM/DISKS/WLAN etc. - very nice option, but the producer often use whitelist (hardware that will not be compatible even if it fit, cause of bios and producer policy - "NO cause of NO"). Anyway I have a 4K TV and I want to connect the laptop to this TV to show a presentation I made.

I have quadro 3000m GPU, and it is said that it only support ( https://cdn.cnetcontent.com/e9/f1/e9f136f6-9369-4e2e-b21f-76495146df40.pdf ) 2560x1600@60 resolution. But I have heard that you can modify bios, and do not use HDMI v1.4 port but Display Port v1.2 port with an adapter (DP>HDMI cause TV has only HDMI ports...), and the card will display 3840x2160@60 and it will work. Can somebody confirm this?

If this will not work, what card can be put to Dell M6600 to support UHD/4K (by DP cause on this port in this laptop can display UHD@60) ?

Thanks!

Last edited: Jan 30, 2021
  3. Aaron44126

Aaron44126 Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    I can tell you that on the NVIDIA side, DisplayPort 1.2 capability requires a Kepler GPU or newer (i.e. Quadro K5000M) ... but, the M6600 cannot work with NVIDIA cards newer than Fermi. This is not because of a whitelist issue, but because of a BIOS incompatibility issue. You will have to investigate which newer AMD cards have DisplayPort 1.2 support. If you drop in a card that supports DisplayPort 1.2, then you should be able to use 4K60 output with a DisplayPort to HDMI 2.0 adapter.
    (Precision M6700 and M6800 are much more forgiving with regards to which NVIDIA GPU cards will work.)

I have not heard of any sort of vBIOS mod that "upgrades" the DisplayPort capability of these systems.

bartasb likes this.
  4. bartasb

bartasb Newbie

Reputations:
    @Aaron44126 thanks! Are you sure that m6600 cannot work with cards never the Fermi? I remember that I have read somewhere that it can use KxxxxM quadro(s) after bios modification... or it is just my memory fails me :) I guess the slot, GPU size and even the cooling will fit.

5. Reciever

Reciever D! For Dragon!

Reputations:
    Yes, or at the very least it has never been proven positive.

6. Juhantti

Juhantti Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    This freezing problem get so much worse that I finally booked some time in order to change the mother board and update the Firepro 6100M. Today I changed those and I must say that the GPU is much more efficient than the old quadro M4000 was. Let's see if my freezing issues are now solved. This used to freeze once/day and I have now used this new morherboard only two hours so I can not say if the problem is really solved or not.

However I managed to get new problem now. My USB ports on circuit port are not working any more. I mean those USB ports which are next to audio out put port. Audio out put is working just fine though. I am just wondering have I missed to connect some cables. Does someone know is that possible even though the audio port is working? Or should I try to update some drivers?

If the circue port is connected to motherboard with only one cable I think there is no sense me to reopen the machine because the audio port is working?

I appreciate your help again.

7. Aaron44126

Aaron44126 Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    If it used to work, I would start by reseating the cable.

8. Juhantti

Reputations:
  9. Shin Falcon

Shin Falcon Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    Hi everyone,
    I'll receive a used M6600 this week in very good condition with I7 2720QM, 8GB ram, FirePro M8900 and 1600x900 screen according to the Service TAG.
    Have it at a good price since the owner don't have a working 240W power supply and provide me a 130W to test it (i know it'll work slower and will not game with it). Maybe i can use the brick from my XPS M1730, we'll see!

My question now, it's about the GPU. I don't want to go Nvidia since my cooler is for AMD card and everything i've seen is expensive for the gain it offer.
    I want to upgrade the M8900 to something that can match the CPU and found a lot on a well known chineese website :
    - FirePro M6100 2Gb for about 35€. Seems to be the most common upgrade.
    - Radeon 7970M 2Gb for about 75-80€. I've not found someone here saying this card will work OK, can have fan problem.
    - Radeon 8970M 4Gb for about 110€. Same as the 7970M with more VRAM.
    - Firepro W7170M 4Gb for about 100€. The most powerfull, compatible with dell Precision 7710 but i've not found someone saying it's working with M6600.

So, witch one will work? Did someone test one of these cards? Thanks all for your answer :)

10. Juhantti

Reputations:
    My understanding is that Firepro M6100 is the best you can put there and I know it works because I put it to my M6600 yesterday. It is twice as efficient than my previous Quadro 4000M was.
    Only down side is that M6600 can not switch to between integrated GPU to separate GPU when AMD GPU is used so it uses always this AMD GPU. Maybe it consumes a bit more electricity so it may run a bit shorter time with battery. Does not matter on my usage though.