The Notebook Review forums were hosted by TechTarget, who shut down them down on January 31, 2022. This static read-only archive was pulled by NBR forum users between January 20 and January 31, 2022, in an effort to make sure that the valuable technical information that had been posted on the forums is preserved. For current discussions, many NBR forum users moved over to NotebookTalk.net after the shutdown.

M6600 Owners Thread

Discussion in 'Dell Latitude, Vostro, and Precision' started by tomcom2k, May 23, 2011.

1. Shin Falcon

Shin Falcon Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    Thank for your answer, yes it may use a bit more power but for now i can't say if the battery is good or not and i'll not use it much on battery so not really a problem. I'll wait a bit more answer, if nothing more, i'll order a M6100 then.

EDIT : Found on ebay a refurbished M6600 with a 8970M 2Gb so it may work with 4Gb! Seller say it need to use HWinfo for fan control, not really a problem.

Last edited: Mar 1, 2021
  2. Juhantti

Juhantti Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Problem solved. There was not any cables which connects the circuit board to mother board but 2cm long white sockets. I guess it was deeper from the side where audio wires go so I think that was the reason my sound card worked but not the USB ports. Just a hint to everybody; if you remove the circuit board, remember to press circuit board so that these sockets will attach. I spend 1 and half hour extra beacause I did not check the connection when assembled the laptop.

3. Juhantti

Reputations:
    It seems I still have a problem. I tested the system with Performance test 9.0 and everything was ok. GPU temperatures was 83C max during 3D tests and results were twice as good I had with quadro 4000M.

However I now tried to play Dirt 3 rally game which runned very well with my previous Quadro 4000M also but with this Firepro M6100 I can not play this game more than half minute because gpu temperature reaches 96C and GPU shuts off. I replaced the thermal paste to GPU with "rice" method but not sure now how it has spread to GPU then. I also mounted 1mm thick thermal pads to GPU chips marked blue
    line on picture below.

upload_2021-3-11_20-29-57.png

I have few possible mistakes I might have done.

1. Maybe put too less thermal paste and it has not spread evenly. I put only size of one rice seed in the middle of processor.

2. I thightened the heat sink screws somehow wrongly. I think one screw was a bit weird and might not went to threads of X-bracket. Is there some kind of certain order/method how that should be done?

3. My thermal pads are too thick or I should put them more to other locations also. Any idea how thick pads I should use on each locations?

Does anyone have proposal what I have done wrong there? It would be also nice to know what max temperatures I should reach while playing this Dirt 3 rally game?

It seems that I have to open this laptop now third time. Luckily fixing computers is not my daily job. I would be in bankruptcy in one week.

Last edited: Mar 11, 2021
  4. Juhantti

Reputations:
    The problem was that there was about 20% of GPU processor surface without any thermal paste. I spread new paste evenly and now during this Dirt 3 rally game i have max temps:

GPU 84c
    CPU 65c
    FPS 90-100

I think those are now in decent level?

5. Intognito

Intognito Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    I cant really show you how I have my FirePro covered couse I dont want to dissasembly my laptop again but thouse tempratures are okay. You have actualy better CPU temp. than I while gaming. I max out at 70c but the GPU is max only at 77c. I would get the fan out of the heatsink and checked if there isnt any dust. I forgot to doo that when I replaced my heatsing (old was damaged) and I was thermal throttling.

6. Juhantti

Reputations:
    Thanks about info. Now I played a bit more time and max temp for GPU reached 87c for a while. It is quite close to max temp because I think 96c is absolutely max temp for Firepro m6100. However I am not going to do anything yet. There is not much I can do more at least before I have info about right thermal pad thicknesses and their locations. Changing the better paste may degrease temperatures about 2c what I have heard.

I did not disassemble the fan from heatsink either just brushed and blowed some air so that at least I did not see any big dust balls there anymore.

7. Intognito

Intognito Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    I dont know about the max temp of the GPU. When I was trying to game on it when the heatsing was full of dust I got to 100c and then it just slowed down. And for the inner part of heatsink, here is photo. There is a little place where dust can be stored easily, but you cant really clean it witchout taking the fan out. You dont need to get the heatsink out of the laptop. Just keyboard and palmrest.

Attached Files:

8. Juhantti

Reputations:
    I see what you mean and agree. That can be quite impossible to clean without removing the fan. I have disassembled and assembled this M6600 now so many times that I do not have enough motivation to do this again. When I know more about thermal pads I may clean the GPU fan as well. As you can see from my Firepro m6100 picture above those VRMs seems to be much higher than VRAMs. Maybe I should just put drop of thermal paste to each VRMs if those are very close to heat sink. Just wondering....

9. Juhantti

Reputations:
    Now I put 1,5mm pads to VRMs and there is 1mm pads in VRAMs. I also put Thermal Grizzly Kryonaut paste to GPU and CPU. Unfortunately I read lot of experiences about that Kryonaut paste that it will dry on laptops in three weeks and looses thermal conductivity. I wish that is not true. I really do not want to open this M6600 again. I also disassembled the GPU fan but there was not dust nearly at all.

GPU temp is now at full load in Dirt 3 rally game 78c and CPU is 65c.

Laptop is more silent now because on web browsing fans are not running at all before temps reach about 65c and that will take several minutes. Now I am happy for results I wish this paste will not dry immediately.

CLASSIF1ED likes this.
  10. PetrosGR

PetrosGR Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Quick question.
    Today i got a M6600 ,with a AMD FirePro M8900 (2GB - 06W46K), i see that a "better" version of it, is the M6100 ,correct if i am wrong ?