The Notebook Review forums were hosted by TechTarget, who shut down them down on January 31, 2022. This static read-only archive was pulled by NBR forum users between January 20 and January 31, 2022, in an effort to make sure that the valuable technical information that had been posted on the forums is preserved. For current discussions, many NBR forum users moved over to NotebookTalk.net after the shutdown.

M6800 Precision - Tesla M6 & Firepro 6100M - Working/updated/switchable graphics

Discussion in 'Dell Latitude, Vostro, and Precision' started by Keep Guessing, Jan 3, 2021.

1. Echoa

Echoa Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Comparing this on Nvidia vs AMD is a bit tricky as GCN vs Kepler are very different beasts. GCN for just about its entire life span was starved for ROPs, L2, and a decent VRAM amount. If you look at GCN giving it a massive bus width with HBM didnt do much for performance as long as you have enough VRAM. What it needed more than anything was L2 and ROPs. Kepler on the other hand was somewhat starved for bandwidth on the low end (high end cards had fast VRAM) and you could see this by enabling even 2x AA and watching framerate tank which wasnt much of a problem for the GCN cards.

2. toastofman

toastofman Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    Card received. Was 150 bucks, not bad for some tinkering! But now evidently I'll have to shim some copper in on the vrms because there is a huge difference in die-height between the w7170m and the m6100. If I were to guess, like 1.5 to 2 mm! I'm not 100% certain how to go about shimming, but I'll get it done in the name of science. I'll google it and see what I can come up with! Maybe I'll start a new thread.

3. Reciever

Reciever D! For Dragon!

Reputations:
    If it's vrm just get different height of thermal pad

4. toastofman

toastofman Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    I would, but it seems too severe. The vram is still even 1-2mm away from the 1mm thermal pad that I installed, a 3mm pad seems a little excessive!

5. Reciever

Reciever D! For Dragon!

Reputations:
    To each their own

6. TruenoG7

TruenoG7 Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:

I have made a video tutorial, in this post, I will leave a link here:

I also noticed that the nvidia Geforce Experience options don't work, those like recording etc, I wonder if I did something wrong? : /.

Attached Files:

7. Defeatz

Defeatz Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    I am considering putting in a tesla m6 into a m6800 just wanted to double check. I saw something said about hdmi out not working or rather just not working with the gpu. So if I am just sitting in windows and I wanna stream a movie from my laptop and hook it via hdmi to my tv, I can do that as long as it's using the intel hd graphics right?

8. Aaron44126

Aaron44126 Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    No. On this system, the HDMI and DisplayPort are hooked directly to the dGPU. They cannot run off of the Intel GPU. They won't work with a Tesla card.

9. Defeatz

Defeatz Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    Ah okay. So you’d only wanna use this card if you had no plans to ever hook up external monitors to the laptop ?

10. Aaron44126

Aaron44126 Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    Right... you'd have to run it with Optimus on all of the time (Intel GPU driving the laptop display). You could get an external display via the VGA port, and with a PR02X dock, one of the DVI/DisplayPorts on the dock. The Tesla card isn't intended for laptop use but it does "work" with these caveats.