The Notebook Review forums were hosted by TechTarget, who shut down them down on January 31, 2022. This static read-only archive was pulled by NBR forum users between January 20 and January 31, 2022, in an effort to make sure that the valuable technical information that had been posted on the forums is preserved. For current discussions, many NBR forum users moved over to NotebookTalk.net after the shutdown.

M6800 Precision - Tesla M6 & Firepro 6100M - Working/updated/switchable graphics

Discussion in 'Dell Latitude, Vostro, and Precision' started by Keep Guessing, Jan 3, 2021.

1. Defeatz

Defeatz Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    Dang. Guess I’ll be sticking to the 980m haha. Curious , does the “brand” of the 980m matter? I noticed on eBay it seems the two common ones are one that is a blue board looking one and then another one that has more of a traditional green color.

2. Aaron44126

Aaron44126 Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    I haven't heard any stories of upgrade failures for 980M related to a particular brand. I think users have tried some less common ones like Clevo and they worked fine. You can always flash a different vBIOS on it if you need to (effectively "changing the brand") but I don't think that will be needed.

Defeatz likes this.
  3. Defeatz

Defeatz Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    And to flash a different vbios if it came down to it , am I able to do that with the card in the machine but then just using the intel graphics to boot into windows ? I think I read somewhere on here a user was having an issue on a 8770w with using a 980m and it needed a different vbios but I believe hp doesn’t use the optimus tech or whatever , it just always uses the gpu to output so the guy was kinda screwed unless he was able to find someone with a laptop he could put it into and flash. Am I right in that thinking or am I wrong ? I’m kinda a noob to the mobile circuit of tech and whatnot lol

4. Aaron44126

Reputations:
    Yes... Having graphics switching enabled would help for a vBIOS flash in a "bad situation" as long as the GPU isn't preventing the system from POSTing at all. I would recommend having Optimus / graphics switching turned on when you install the GPU card and verifying that it seems to work right before switching it off. (Though you can always force Optimus on by pulling the coin-cell battery, resetting BIOS settings to default.)

5. Defeatz

Defeatz Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    Awesome thanks for the info. This is a random q but I’ve noticed in my search some people on eBay selling some laptops cheaper cause they mention the bios is locked. All you gotta do is just remove the cmos battery for like ten min to reset the bios right ?

6. Aaron44126

Reputations:
    If the BIOS is locked with a password, this can be worked around...
    IIRC, the BIOS has a password reset function. It will present a support code of some sort that you are supposed to take to Dell support, and they will return a code that can be used to remove the password after verifying system ownership. However, there are online sites that will take the support code and return the unlock code (free) without having to go through Dell support.

Defeatz and Reciever like this.
  7. Defeatz

Defeatz Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    And then I also remember reading something about a bracket needed for the 980m and people saying you could just take from the quadro and attach it. However, If I buy a dell from ebay that just comes with intel hd4600 graphics, I am assuming I will need to buy "said" bracket? or is it not needed?

and lastly(at least for now LOL) I just wanted to get your opinion(if you had one) on the m6800, m6700 and the hp 8770w. If there is a best or all about the same etc. these 3 seem to be the most solid options I can find. I did notice you yourself are an owner of the m6700.

8. Reciever

Reciever D! For Dragon!

Reputations:
    I preferred the heatsink on the M6600, I have an m6800 right next to me, seems well built but I dont use it. Planning on selling it since its been sitting here forever now.

Defeatz likes this.
  9. Defeatz

Defeatz Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    wanna sell it to me for a good price? :D haha. I am currently in the market for one or a hp 8770w. Those are the two ive pretty much narrowed down to. Maybe a m6700.

10. Reciever

Reciever D! For Dragon!

Reputations:
    I'll PM you tomorrow after my morning rush as its late right now and we'll see if we can figure something out.

Defeatz likes this.