The Notebook Review forums were hosted by TechTarget, who shut down them down on January 31, 2022. This static read-only archive was pulled by NBR forum users between January 20 and January 31, 2022, in an effort to make sure that the valuable technical information that had been posted on the forums is preserved. For current discussions, many NBR forum users moved over to NotebookTalk.net after the shutdown.

New M6500 Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Dell Latitude, Vostro, and Precision' started by Quido, Dec 1, 2009.

1. sgogeta4

sgogeta4 Notebook Nobel Laureate

Reputations:
    I was PMed, the Dell M6500 has an I/O controller that is connected to the miniPCIe slot, so you can install any miniPCIe SSD! Great news if true!

2. pete77

pete77 Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    I ordered the old stinking M6400 less than two weeks ago. I specifically ask the rep. if the new M6500 is coming out. They had no idea.

Well, I'm going to see if they will change my order.

3. theZoid

theZoid Notebook Savant

Reputations:
  4. afhstingray

afhstingray Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    if i was going for the 17" precision i'd rather get the 17" alienware. Had a chance to check out the current alienwares in singapore a few weeks ago, they seem as solid as any business class notebook

5. Johnny T

Johnny T Notebook Nobel Laureate

Reputations:
    I am leaving this as the "official M6500 thread" for the Dell business forum. Yes I know currently there is another in the news section. But this one is for Dell. :) if anyone see more M6500 thread popping up anywhere in the Dell forum, please refer them here and report their thread for closure. (Using the small red triangle on the left)

Thanks,
    Johnny T - NBR Moderation Team

6. knight427

knight427 theenemysgateisdown

Reputations:
    I don't think the build quality has much bearing on someone choosing the M6400/M6500 over the M17x. Just say'n :p

7. afhstingray

Reputations:
    well the funky colour effects and design are very much toned down in the new alienwares. if you just set the LED's to blue/white it wouldnt look too out of place in an office.

the older xps-es adn alienware notebooks were just embarassing.

unless of course you need openGL acceleration, then the FX3700/3800 would come in handy

8. knight427

knight427 theenemysgateisdown

Reputations:
    I saw one in a store with the lights either off or set to white. Even so, it was still plainly a gaming machine and would not look appropriate in most office environments...not even my home office ;)

9. afhstingray

Reputations:
    so have you found something in your search for an upgrade?

10. Gordyboyuk

Gordyboyuk Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    i dont think any of the alienwares look as nice as the covet

my main reason for prefering business machines is the extra security option like track n trace fingerprint readers modular drive bays etc etc

the only thing that the m6500 doesnt have that was on my wishlist is a dx 11 gpu as i have moaned about in various threads but i dont think any notebook has these yet so i will hold of for a while to see what the news is but otherwise the machine looks perfect :)