The Notebook Review forums were hosted by TechTarget, who shut down them down on January 31, 2022. This static read-only archive was pulled by NBR forum users between January 20 and January 31, 2022, in an effort to make sure that the valuable technical information that had been posted on the forums is preserved. For current discussions, many NBR forum users moved over to NotebookTalk.net after the shutdown.

Possible GPU upgrade for Precision M4600

Discussion in 'Dell Latitude, Vostro, and Precision' started by garmac, Mar 6, 2015.

1. valuxin

valuxin Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Do you mean, that you've flashed the mod v2, reboot normally and have image on the screen, but when windows booted you got a black screen, right? If so, Trixx and old table settings should cause the problem I guess. Try to do the same steps you've done for Afterburner or try to uninstall the driver and see will you have windows booted normally.

2. Reciever

Reciever D! For Dragon!

Reputations:
    I just reflashed the GPU with v1, I will grab ccleaner again and uninstall/fix registry and attempt the v2 once more :)

Ill report back with my findings

3. Reciever

Reciever D! For Dragon!

Reputations:
    Uninstalled Trixx, ran ccleaner to fix registry, flashed v2, make it to user login, then a black screen.

I will try ATIflash as opposed to winflash and see if that makes any difference.

EDIT: Not sure if any notable difference but between v1 and v2 VBE7 cant detect a fan profile. Was v2 based on v1 or was tweaked from another vBIOS?

My m5100 is odd that I couldnt use the vBIOS from the BIOS mod thread for this card here on the forum (that was lent from your m6100 thread iirc)

Last edit I swear lol

I also just noticed that the VDDC is not adjustable under state 1 - Performance #4
    In v2 it is @ 850mv vs v1 which is 1.1v in v1

Last edited: Jun 1, 2017
  4. valuxin

Reputations:
    @TheReciever

I've rebuild PowerPlay table, that's why it looks different, but provide more stability and small gain in performance (improved min fps drops). Performance entry is united between all modes and always placed in the bottom of the freqs list. In this vBIOS it has #0 number.
    P.S. This number differs from BIOS to BIOS, but Performance entry always stays at the bottom of freqs list.

Concerning Fan profile removing - it have no effect at all (sometime even negative) in our Precision. So it was obvious to cut it off.

Try to remove the driver with DDU and reinstall it again. Might be it don't want to accept this voltages. Also, in VBE7, set the memory clock to 1000 - this voltage table might be related to memory also, so I want to check if there is something I've messed up :)

5. Reciever

Reciever D! For Dragon!

Reputations:
    @valuxin

Oh you meant the Graphics drivers as well? Ill uninstall them and flash mod_v2 now.

Yeah maybe the memory might also be a cause, AMD likes to tie them together on their desktop GPU's.

Ok off to more testing. Ill be back soon!

EDIT: Still no dice, will try a different driver (gaming vs Firepro) and will also try DDU, I thought I remember AMD included an uninstaller in the process but I might have missed that.

Im also thinking on trying to put the VDDC at 1100 just to see what happens, as they would suggest its being limited from accessing that additional voltage.

EDIT2: Set voltage 1100 and still no dice. Reinstalled drivers to Radeon variant with VDDC 1100 and still no dice. There must be something else in v2 thats not allowing for a successful transition.

Back on v1 for now

6. valuxin

Reputations:
    @TheReciever

Ok then, I'll take some more attempts on this. At least, it didn't soft brick the GPU - which is nice:)

7. Reciever

Reciever D! For Dragon!

Reputations:
    Yeah its always nice to not have to unbrick a card lol its odd that it just doesnt work after user login but Im not too experienced with vBIOS mods outside of the y510p.

Ill keep the thread up in case you find something :)

Thanks for all the support!

8. valuxin

Reputations:
    Lol, just found that my 1333Mhz sticks have no SPD write protection, so I've managed to rewrite them into 1600Mhz counterparts :D

Currently I have two 1GB 1333Mhz Samsung sticks and one 8Gb 1600Mhz Hynix stick. Today I'm going to put in one more 8Gb Hynix stick and I thought I'd probably need to get rid of those two 1333Mhz sticks, but... Magic happened xD

9. Reciever

Reciever D! For Dragon!

Reputations:
    So if they have no SPD write protection you can force a faster frequency (provided it stable) and get some gains for the CPU?

I wonder if 1866Mhz is possible from 1600 ram?

EDIT: Man I wish I could pick up on your skillset, I love pushing the limits on laptops its more interesting to me these days vs Desktops.

10. valuxin

Reputations:
    @TheReciever

Yeah, desktops are boring with their wide choice of everything - you simply can't feel the edge on it :D Today I've tried overclocking with 1.2v and 1.225v, but hit the limit of my board - VRMs can't handle overclock higher than 1050Mhz with those voltages and under heavy loads GPU could black out. But once I was lucky and managed to pass Valley Extreme HD at 1100Mhz with the score of 717. I wish I had Hynix memory, coz Samsung memory have problems going over 1350Mhz.

As you might know, RAM manufactures produce one lineup on the same module with various freqs - but the hardware stays the same. What I did: found SPD dump of the same board but with 1600Mhz support and flash it to the SPD via RWEverything (Thaiphoon Burner is superb app, but it's bit high for me paying $16 for the tool with license hardware sticking). Yeah, it's possible to force RAM using higher freqs, but I don't have the mood for this risky tricks. I'm happy to have 1600Mhz at least - performance gain between 1600 and 1866 is too small (about 0.5% in most cases). Maybe some day in near future I'll try to go beyond 1600Mhz :)