The Notebook Review forums were hosted by TechTarget, who shut down them down on January 31, 2022. This static read-only archive was pulled by NBR forum users between January 20 and January 31, 2022, in an effort to make sure that the valuable technical information that had been posted on the forums is preserved. For current discussions, many NBR forum users moved over to NotebookTalk.net after the shutdown.

Possible GPU upgrade for Precision M4600

Discussion in 'Dell Latitude, Vostro, and Precision' started by garmac, Mar 6, 2015.

1. Reciever

Reciever D! For Dragon!

Reputations:
    @valuxin

the problem I have with Desktops these days is there arent any exciting features anymore. If some standard comes out, they all have them. Only exciting thing from that is figuring out which OEM implemented it in the least anti consumer method. New GPU, they all get them. Hell we dont even have dual GPU on a single stick these days anymore

Hmm so if I can figure out if the manufacturer also made my RAM in conjunction to faster RAM on the same line, it might be possible to change the settings to match that of the greater performing counterpart

So I guess 2133mhz is the sweet spot then, as the i7 2500k/2600k benefit quite a bit from it this late in there relevancy. I wonder how much of an improvement I would be able to see. Going from 1333Mhz to 2133Mhz

2. valuxin

valuxin Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    @TheReciever
    Going up from 1333Mhz to 1600Mhz I gained 1 point in Valley Extreme HD (701 before, 702 after), 0.4% in 3DMark. You can search all over the internet how RAM speed affects performance in real world. Even going up to 2133Mhz don't bring that much to Sandy Bridge. The visual difference is almost invisible :) High RAM speeds help three things: integrated GPU (noticeable gain), min fps drops in games and CPU calculations (several % improvment).

3. Reciever

Reciever D! For Dragon!

Reputations:
    Yes exactly, its meant for high CPU overhead scenarios so it will differ depending the type of load.

http://www.overclock.net/t/1487162/...t-fps-during-high-cpu-overhead-scenarios/0_50

Just means that in Valley Extreme HD, the CPU wasnt your weakest link, but likely the GPU. Maybe the results will differ in CPU heavy titles like Player Unknown's battlegrounds or R6: Siege, The Division, GTA 5.

Its one aspect that impresses me about Siege, its properly saturates my CPU, 85%-99% daily.

PUB my GPU tends to hover around 50% for most of the game but that game needs a lot of work.

Your 3dmark shows 2 differing RAM configurations? o_O

4. valuxin

Reputations:
    Try out Universe Sandbox 2 - it definitely the most CPU power hungry game in the history. Even i7-6820HQ is not enough to handle it at 100% :D

2 RAM configurations means I have a funny swapping RAM week, but anyway, I wanted to show difference between 1600 and 1333.

Argh, this M4600 BIOS is pissing me off >_< I've edited NVRAM values in the BIOS, it stores them, but don't want to apply them... On M6800 I have no such a problem. It's not even about RAM settings, but almost any settings (like CPU TDP, Internal GPU and etc.) I want to meet those engineers who developed this ****ty BIOS:)

BTW, I've flashed my Hynix 1600Mhz sticks to 1866Mhz without any problem:) Long live unlocked SPD and RWEverything :D

5. Reciever

Reciever D! For Dragon!

Reputations:
    I dont have that title lol, but I'll take your word for it.

Ah I understand, Ive actually got 8+4 1600Mhz but the m4600 still registers it as 1333Mhz, since this was the case I just scrounged up my spare RAM and threw it into the laptop resulting in 8+4 1600Mhz and 4+4 1333Mhz = 20GB 1333Mhz. Helps with Waterfox as I forcibly make the browser allocate RAM per tab. I do a lot of work online at my University.

Yeah I wish it was a bit more cooperative lol I will probably get the m4800/m6800 with a 4900mq. For my y510p w/ pcie adapter. If that ends up being the case im very likely to get the 965m for it, then we can test and see if it cant work on the m4600. This wont be for a few months though.

Guess I need to get me that RWEverything and see if I cant relieve some overhead on my 2670qm

I pushed my m5100 to 90w but like an idiot I didnt even think about the power supply. I only have a 150w unit. At 75w I seem to be able to game just fine, for now...(50% Power limit @ 50w TDP)

I didnt anticipate landing on this m4600 as my daily driver, but its been serving me quite well, ill probably keep even after retirement.

6. valuxin

Reputations:
    Good news. Seems like XMP profile register works, so it's possible to use XMP on our Precisions. I wish I had XMP memory or Thaiphoon Burner license :D

7. Reciever

Reciever D! For Dragon!

Reputations:
    I may purchase Thaiphoon burner but not right now, not until I retire the GE40 where the 2133Mhz RAM is currently in use.

8. valuxin

Reputations:
    XMP memory could be used without Thaiphoon. The trick to enable this is to set 0xc2 register to 0x1 or 0x2 values (depending on what XMP profile you want to use) via GRUB NVRAM editor. The reason I need Thaiphoon is to create XMP profile that will be compatible with my sticks:) But still, 1600Mhz works well.

9. Reciever

Reciever D! For Dragon!

Reputations:
    So GRUB NVRAM is what you were using to make these alterations on RAM?

10. valuxin

Reputations:
    NVRAM it a place in the sBIOS where all settings are stored. Even those settings, that doesn't shown in "user" BIOS menu. I'm using grub NVRAM editor to change all the settings I want to change. In M6700 and newer it works perfectly, but M4600 have a frankenstein BIOS so that only half of them could be change to have effect. For RAM module SPD editing I'm using RWEverything.

P.S. In my signature you will find the tutorial with this nvram editor for M6800. Also, there is a related thread on techinferno based on Latitude 6230 experience.

Reciever likes this.