The Notebook Review forums were hosted by TechTarget, who shut down them down on January 31, 2022. This static read-only archive was pulled by NBR forum users between January 20 and January 31, 2022, in an effort to make sure that the valuable technical information that had been posted on the forums is preserved. For current discussions, many NBR forum users moved over to NotebookTalk.net after the shutdown.

Possible GPU upgrade for Precision M4600

Discussion in 'Dell Latitude, Vostro, and Precision' started by garmac, Mar 6, 2015.

1. Reciever

Reciever D! For Dragon!

Reputations:
    Looks like a struck out with the m4600 in terms of flexibility lol Well at least 1866Mhz is possible

It may not be the best laptop for games but this laptop still impresses me with its capabilities.

Its a bit off topic but what are your thoughts on this?
    https://www.techinferno.com/index.p...version-intel-haswell-cpu-microcode-bug-hack/

Im thinking about trying it out on the 4900mq I plan to get from an m4800. Transplanting into the y510p. Gerald was able to make an adapter for the ultrabay pcie slot into a full standard pcie slot. Ill be back stateside in July so at that time I will be testing to see if the adapter will work with dual GPU's like the R9 295x2. Ill be buying a 4870x2 since they are quite cheap these days. Its going to be a hell of a Frankenstein project and I cant wait to start it lol

In any case I plan on getting an m4800 in the future, the models with the 4900mq are getting close to the 600 USD range and works with the 965m 4GB

think that microcode trick will work on the m4800? My understanding from reading older threads in various places was basically couldnt mess with the BIOS so couldnt do much tweaking in terms of CPU. Would be pretty sweet to push close to 4.0Ghz...

2. alexhawker

alexhawker Spent Gladiator

Reputations:
    I haven't tried that on the M4800 w/ i7-4800, but ThrottleStop's PowerCut works, if that's helpful.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reciever likes this.
  3. Reciever

Reciever D! For Dragon!

Reputations:
    What were you able to achieve with your 4800mq? I am unfamiliar with Powercut, tried it with my 4700mq on the y510p but I didnt see any change, admittedly I didnt spend more time playing with it, trying to wrap up school semester.

But its good to know that there is a method of pushing the performance :D thanks for sharing

Last edited: Jun 2, 2017
  4. alexhawker

alexhawker Spent Gladiator

Reputations:
    IIRC, powercut takes advantage of a bug in the power usage reporting from the CPU, allowing you to bypass certain types of throttling. So it may help with OCing, depending what kind of limits/throttling you're running up against.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

5. valuxin

valuxin Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    To do this microcode "hack" you need to edit sBIOS. I've tried that when I had 4700MQ and thinking about buying 4930XM, but the result was negative because of BIOS signature check persist in the sBIOS and don't allow to mod it in an easy way. Yeah, it's possible to overplay this signature check, but need some days of reverse engineering. I'm sure 4900MQ would be quite fine for M4800, coz Precisions don't like overclocking that much (just trust me).

6. Reciever

Reciever D! For Dragon!

Reputations:
    Ah, ok I understand.

Then the bins available to the CPU remain the same correct?

Oh ill be transplanting the 4900mq into the y510p, since it will have a desktop GPU, my main concern is CPU bottleneck in gaming.

Did you use liquid metal on your laptop? From what I understand conventional paste just doesnt cut it when you start pushing the limits.

When I put conductonaut on my y510p, even with 1.2v on the 755m temps never past like 65C and even with the heatpipes joined by thermal adhesive the CPU never breached 75C. Before that I had to underclock everything to keep from throttling.

Ill probably give it a shot with liquid metal, ever since trying it on my y510p Ill never go back to conventional paste lol. The problem is the y510p is power limited, to about 86A or thereabouts. I like to emulate my console games, like Dolphin for example. It uses AVX2 which will probably blow the board, so thats where the m4800 will come in.

7. valuxin

Reputations:
    As I said earlier, the temp was not the problem - power throttling was. Precisions are not designed to run power hungry CPUs - even officially supported 4930MX throttled in stock settings to the level of 4800MQ. If you want overclocking - it's better to buy another machine (probably gaming one). Precisions are too limited with their BIOS and hardware.
    I'm using MX-4 instead of Liquid Metal for 2 reasons:
    1. Serviceability. I'm disassembling my laptops too often, so that's why thermal grease is the best choice. Also, it's much cheaper than Liquid.
    2. MX-4 works at nearly the same level as Liquid Metal do and satisfy all my needs. Liquid metal is useful when CPU with TDP over 90W is used. Otherwise the temp difference will be nearly 1C. With MX-4 I haven't seen temps go higher than 82C CPU and 69C GPU under simultaneous heavy load on my Zbook Studio (18mm thick) laptop with overclocked CPU and GPU.

8. Reciever

Reciever D! For Dragon!

Reputations:
    I understand, wouldnt powercut as mentioned above be able to alleviate this potentially? I only know what Ive dabbled with in the past so forgive me if Im out of line. If this was to be attempted, it would be to see if I could sustain anything above 3.4Ghz lol

Oh yeah thats definitely a good reason to use conventional paste over liquid metal, even though I love the temps I get out of it, it would be too expensive and a PITA to reapply all the time.

On my y510p I was throttling like mad until I tried out the conductonaut. The y510p is notorious for hitting 97c. Though the 755m and the 4700mq are on the same heatsink, together it would make about 97w so your statement seems to line up with my laptop. Putting liquid metal on the m4600 for example might be a waste since I never throttle on it to begin with. m5100 at 1.1v and I peak at 70C usually with stock fan curve, max fans usually brings it about 5-7c lower pending the game Im playing.

So the m4800 is power throttled like the y510p then eh? Its one of the reasons why I want to get the 4900mq/4910mq vs the 4930mx

Hardly any other laptops show up with the 4900mq / 4930mx other than the m4800 on ebay. Occasionally there might be something else but its typically only the m4800. Im buying it more for the CPU anyways. I wouldnt mind a 4910mq either but the price tends to jump 200-300 which is hard to justify, its just a 100Mhz bump if I am not mistaken.

Plus I like the keyboard on the Precision way too much

alexhawker likes this.
  9. valuxin

Reputations:
    Yes, M4800 is a pretty nice machine. And yes, M4800 power throttling is due to hardware limitations. The best CPU you could get is 4910MQ - MX series overclocks nice, but power throttling make it even worse than 4910MQ on stock. 100mhz is not that big difference on Haswell and who knows, mb you can grub it with 4910MQ on board. 1.5 years ago I've bought 4930MX for just $150, so... anything is possible:)

10. Reciever

Reciever D! For Dragon!

Reputations:
    Well when ever I do buy the m4800, might happen in July-August half the justification is to help balance the y510p system. Even if the 4700mq I put it in is only capable of 3.4Ghz, with a 965m it should still serve as a healthy pair. But in the mean time I could put the m5100 in the m4800. I think the m5100 is stronger than the k2100m especially with the overclock we were able to push so far. Pushing 1.225 might be more cooperative on the m4800 since everything else seems to be :D

Might get lucky with craigslist who knows lol

It'll be my last hoorah of rPGA I guess.