The Notebook Review forums were hosted by TechTarget, who shut down them down on January 31, 2022. This static read-only archive was pulled by NBR forum users between January 20 and January 31, 2022, in an effort to make sure that the valuable technical information that had been posted on the forums is preserved. For current discussions, many NBR forum users moved over to NotebookTalk.net after the shutdown.

Precision 7530 & Precision 7730 owner's thread

Discussion in 'Dell Latitude, Vostro, and Precision' started by Aaron44126, Jun 27, 2018.

1. anuraj1

anuraj1 Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Bit of a rough start for me. My 7530 arrived with BIOS 1.0.5. It booted fine with my 64GB of 3200MHz RAM, but the RAM ran at 2666MHz.

Alright, no big deal, I figured I'd fiddle with that later. I went about updating drivers, etc and then updated the BIOS to the latest release (1.1.7). BIOS reported that my 64GB was now running at 3200! Unfortunately, booting into Windows caused BSODs (kernel issue, memory management issue, invalid thread). Even a clean install wouldn't work because the Windows installer would BSOD. Dell's OS recovery tool for reinstalling Windows hung at the black Dell splashscreen.

I removed the 2 dimms from the bottom of the computer and the machine boots fine. All the memory is good, all combinations of 32GB work fine but when all 4 are installed, I get a variety of BSODs.

I thought maybe I could downgrade the BIOS, but the only other version available on the website is 1.0.0 and unfortunately version 1.1.7 does not allow downgrades below 1.0.5.

2. tokatoka

tokatoka Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    I also installed 64 GB 3200Mhz RAm, and updated BIOS - everything runs fine, at 2667 Mhz only

sorry just checked it's 3200 MHZ now :)

[​IMG]

3. sench

sench Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Which one did you get? Hyperx?

4. tokatoka

tokatoka Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    yes hyperx impact, kingston

5. Phred42

Phred42 Newbie

Reputations:
    I'm interested in the real time audio performance. Can one of you run a latencymon on the 7530? Much appreciated.

cixelsyd and Ionising_Radiation like this.
  6. jctierney

jctierney Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Just got my Precision 7730 today! Overall - very impressed! Was supposed to arrive July 10, so quite excited it got here a bit sooner. Only downside is I wasn't prepared with the extra RAM & SSD I wanted to add ... should be here tomorrow though.

Here are the specs:
    • Intel Core i9 8950HK
    • 8GB Memory - upgrading to 32GB tomorrow
    • 512GB SSD (Toshiba KXG50ZNV512G) - adding a Samsung 1TB 970 EVO tomorrow, probably more in the future
    • NVIDIA Quadro P4200
    • 17" 4K display - I'll get the manufacturer & model and update later
    Initial impressions:
    • Excellent build quality - as expected from Dell's Precision line
    • Slimmer than my 15" Precision 7510! Form factor is actually quite nice for a 17"
    • 4K display is nice, no glare at all with the matte finish. Good quality.
    • Keyboard is crisp, snappy, though the keys actually seem slightly smaller than my 7510
    • As stated previously, the touchpad is a Windows Precision touchpad and it is actually quite nice!
    I'll post some photos shortly so Aaron44126 can post them in the original post. Let me know if you guys want any other info as well. I can add on to this post.

ThatOldGuy, Arondel, ygohome and 4 others like this.
  7. cong.fly.wang@gmail.

cong.fly.wang@gmail. Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    Hi. I am also looking for the 17 inch version since I am planning using it to do lots of Houdini works. Just want to know how the contrast and brightness and view angul of the screen is. Is there serious backlight leaking . How is the speakers on the 17 inch version. Maybe should be same as 15 or better. About to order my haha . Thanks for the answers

8. robotx21

robotx21 Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Awesome! Close to something I’m looking at ordering but going with the P5200 GFX and 64GB ram. Would you be able to do a Davinci Resolve test with R3D material? Looking at this Dell to get a beastly mobile 4K editing machine...

9. Aaron44126

Aaron44126 Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    I ran it and here are the results after several minutes. It looks like ACPI.sys is the main culprit. I don't usually deal with this but I understand that there are things that you can do to get ACPI.sys to calm down (disable power management features and so forth). None of the actual device drivers seem to be causing any issues.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

10. Phred42

Phred42 Newbie

Reputations:
    Very useful, thanks for running this Aaron44126. Latency is always a crapshoot with new machines. Given that ACPI.sys controls mboard power and stuff its sometimes hard to optimize.

If anyone is producing music in the forum with this machine, give a shout out and let us know your experience post-optimization.

cixelsyd likes this.