The Notebook Review forums were hosted by TechTarget, who shut down them down on January 31, 2022. This static read-only archive was pulled by NBR forum users between January 20 and January 31, 2022, in an effort to make sure that the valuable technical information that had been posted on the forums is preserved. For current discussions, many NBR forum users moved over to NotebookTalk.net after the shutdown.

Precision 7530 & Precision 7730 owner's thread

Discussion in 'Dell Latitude, Vostro, and Precision' started by Aaron44126, Jun 27, 2018.

1. Aaron44126

Aaron44126 Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    I believe that the TB18DC dock will not run with more than two monitors attached unless they are all 1080p or less.
    Have you tried connecting the new monitor directly to the system? (It looks like is also supports DisplayPort input.)
    Do you have a dGPU in your system? There also seems to be system limit of three monitors (including the built-in panel) if you only have the Intel GPU.

2. frostbytes

frostbytes Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    I have two monitors running through the dock at above-1080p now. From the little reading I did, the limit is the summation of the resolutions.

I don't have another mDP-to-DP cable handy, so I can't try using DP connected directly to my system. But I did just try HDMI. It worked at first when connected directly to the 7730 but not via the dock and as I tried different ports now I can't get it to work again. Odd.

This system has an Intel UHD Graphics 630 and Radeon Pro WX 4150.

3. Lumute

Lumute Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    This is from the TB18DC User's Guide:

upload_2019-7-15_12-34-24.png

frostbytes likes this.
  4. frostbytes

frostbytes Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Thanks for that. I don't have the manual anymore, so I don't remember seeing that.

5. XeonPlanner

XeonPlanner Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    Is Precision 7530 compatible with usb type-c charger? Most of my current workload includes reading papers and running python programs, and system power rarely goes over 65 watts. I am considering getting a 65w charger, as the current charger is quite heavy.
    I tried a 65w lenovo charger, but it didn't work. I wonder if there is a compatibility issue between brands.

6. Aaron44126

Reputations:
    It might work but the system will throttle heavily if used with less than a 180W power adapter. USB-C cannot delivery 180W. The Dell docks that do power over USB-C only go up to 130W, and that is already 30W over the spec.

7. XeonPlanner

XeonPlanner Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    I'm not doing any heavy 3D work here. The power draw RARELY GOES OVER 65W as is stated in my original post. I'm just asking about compatibility, as a Lenovo 65W charger won't work.

8. michaeljquinn

michaeljquinn Newbie

Reputations:
    Seekin help from gurus !!
    I have 7530 with factory win 10 that I am currently dual booting into Ubuntu (running flawlessly so far), but I want to single boot into ubuntu, but preserve a small win 10 as a VirtualBox VM under ubuntu. How to I use/extract my factory win 10 license to use with my VirtualBox VM ??

9. Ionising_Radiation

Ionising_Radiation ?v = ve*ln(m0/m1)

Reputations:
    Copy, paste and execute this command into PowerShell (in administrator mode):

Code:
    (Get-WmiObject -query 'select * from SoftwareLicensingService').OA3xOriginalProductKey

10. Aaron44126

Reputations:
    Doesn't matter. The system throttles much more aggressively than necessary.