The Notebook Review forums were hosted by TechTarget, who shut down them down on January 31, 2022. This static read-only archive was pulled by NBR forum users between January 20 and January 31, 2022, in an effort to make sure that the valuable technical information that had been posted on the forums is preserved. For current discussions, many NBR forum users moved over to NotebookTalk.net after the shutdown.

Precision 7530 & Precision 7730 owner's thread

Discussion in 'Dell Latitude, Vostro, and Precision' started by Aaron44126, Jun 27, 2018.

1. nublar

nublar Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Hovering around 39-41 when idle.

2. Aaron44126

Aaron44126 Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    I bet that's it. The system can cool fine with one fan but probably will be trying to crank the speed up because the second fan is not returning an RPM reading.
    Anyway... All of these shipped with 3-year warranty so hopefully you are still covered, just have Dell replace the heatsink assembly.

3. nublar

nublar Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    I sent in my 7530 to the Advanced Resolution Centre and they shipped it back to me with a 4 business day turnaround. They replaced the 6 cell battery (mine was at 20% wear), fan, heatsink, and "main logic board" (motherboard?) and also cleaned and detailed the laptop. It's completely quiet now (to me) on battery and while plugged in.

I am extremely pleased with Pro Support and how painless it was.

Martin Ro likes this.
  4. Scotsguard

Scotsguard Newbie

Reputations:
    Hello again folks. I've been having quite a few issues with BSOD restarts recently on my 7530 which have become quite tiresome and show a DRIVER_POWER_STATE_FAILURE error. In an effort to problem-solve the issue, I updated the Nvidia Quadro driver to the latest update (as I normally would) through Geforce Experience and I instantly started to notice some problems with textures in Solidworks. Upon further checking, I found out that the Solidworks recommended Nvidia driver shown on their website is all the way back at release 440, with the newest being 471.11, so the driver wasn't recognised in the Solidworks diagnostics section. I went to the Nvidia site and downloaded an older driver version (452.57), which I had installed around the time when my battery life was pretty good for some reason, and the texture problems are now gone, BSOD events are much more infrequent, and as a bonus my battery life has increased again.

Long story short, try rolling back the quadro drivers to see if it helps with battery life and BSOD events.

SoftDev likes this.
  5. Ionising_Radiation

Ionising_Radiation ?v = ve*ln(m0/m1)

Reputations:
    So I got my motherboard replaced today in a bid to fix my iffy USB-C ports, and that turned out to be a really bad decision. I now have more things not working now than before:
    • One NVMe port is busted: any drive inserted is missing from the firmware setup and not recognised in the OSes either;
    • the 'Switchable Graphics' option is gone from the firmware menu;
    • the fingerprint sensor isn't working.
    Bummer.

6. Aaron44126

Aaron44126 Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    NVMe port not working by itself basically qualifies you immediately for another board replacement. (Even if your warranty is nearly up, there is another warranty on replaced parts; I don't remember if it is 30 days or 90 days.)
    If they can't figure it out promptly, you may be eligible for a system replacement to a 7550 or 7560.

I had a coworker with a M4800 and after a board replacement, the fingerprint reader didn't work. (Showed a USB error of some sort in Device Manager.) They could never figure it out. We even shipped it down to them and they replaced a bunch of stuff, and when they sent it back it still didn't work. They ended up replacing it with a 7510.

Ionising_Radiation likes this.
  7. Ionising_Radiation

Reputations:
    I've requested that they escalate this to a device replacement, because as it is, I really cannot afford any more downtime for a housecall and a board replacement, or worse, to send the device in for analysis—I've got several projects and reports that are due over the next couple of weeks.

At least it kinda-sorta works now, and that's good enough for now. I can do without Linux for a while (that's the slot that's not working).

The technician that replaced the board was rather hasty because he had so many appointments this morning, and I had to perform the pre-boot diagnostics test myself. Plus, it's clear that not many technicians have serviced the Precision notebooks here, and I got one the last time that had no idea what went where and messed up the re-assembly.

Let's see how things go. There still is another month left on the warranty, they should honour that.

8. Martin Ro

Martin Ro Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    I don't know about the laws where you life but in germany, as far as I can tell, the day you initially report the issue is what counts. Even if the warranty expires now, it shouldn't matter.
    Additionally, at least in germany, there is a additional warranty on repairs by a technican. So there shouldn't be an issue for you.

Best part, again for germany at least (and I think that counts for the hole EU). If they replace the complete computer, you have a new full warranty starting with the delivery of the new notebook, so a replacement of the complete computer wouldn't be a bad thing.

Ionising_Radiation likes this.
  9. Ionising_Radiation

Reputations:
  10. R0XxOrBOt

R0XxOrBOt Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    I'm looking to undervolt my 7730 (i7-8850H, nVidia P3200M, 32GB RAM, Windows 11)
    I have the Throttlestop program, but some options are greyed out...
    Any tips for me? I don't really want to down grade the BIOS, but if I have to, I will.
    Reason for wanting to undervolt -- my 6 cores run at a CONSTANT 4GHz and I just have 10 tabs in Firefox open and I'm currently video chatting over discord with my gf. Temps are at 80 degrees Celsius