The Notebook Review forums were hosted by TechTarget, who shut down them down on January 31, 2022. This static read-only archive was pulled by NBR forum users between January 20 and January 31, 2022, in an effort to make sure that the valuable technical information that had been posted on the forums is preserved. For current discussions, many NBR forum users moved over to NotebookTalk.net after the shutdown.

Precision 7530 & Precision 7730 owner's thread

Discussion in 'Dell Latitude, Vostro, and Precision' started by Aaron44126, Jun 27, 2018.

1. Aaron44126

Aaron44126 Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    The current method is to downgrade the BIOS to a version earlier than the "Plundervolt" fix, reset settings to default, and then upgrade the BIOS again. Somehow, this will allow undervolt to keep working even though it's "supposed" to be disabled.
    I've recently been investigating an alternative, quicker method to enable undervolting... Should know in a week or so if it's even going to work. (Currently, this work is on hold behind getting my Precision 7560 fully up and running.)

2. dafunk60

dafunk60 Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Anyone have any issues with the 1.16.1 bios with a 7730? As soon as I flashed it & rebooted the Intel display driver crashes immeadatly. WIN+SHIFT+CTRL+B restarts the display driver but it crashes again right away. At 1st glance it looks like the PC is locked up but it's actually running fine other than the display issue. Reverting back to BIOS 1.53.1 gets the display working again but I would like to be able to update the bios. I've uninstalled & reinstalled the latest Intel UHD driver from Dell. If I disable the iGPU in the BIOS & run the Quadro GPU that also works fine.

3. Christie_D52

Christie_D52 Newbie

Reputations:
    Hello! Is anyone using Thunderbolt with Windows 21H1 on a Precision 7530?

The latest Thunderbolt driver from Dell is from March 2019 and it explicitly mentions that it is not compatible with Windows 20H1 and later. I tried looking for an updated driver directly from Intel and have had no success. I cannot be the only one that wants to use Thunderbolt on a system that has a more recent Windows branch installed.
    I did call Dell and their suggestion was to downgrade the system to Windows 19H2 and then attempt to upgrade to 20H1; I don't necessarily expect this will work out. And even if it did, eventually I'll probably have to upgrade and likely break thunderbolt.

The ports do work properly as USB 3 ports, but the thunderbolt software doesn't even show port 1 or 2 as available devices in the chain. I do have Thunderbolt enabled in the BIOS and tried both an older Dell driver as well as the (latest) March 2019 version; also also ran the more recent Thunderbolt firmware update utility. Also, to confirm the ports do have the thunderbolt icon next to them.
    Any thoughts or feedback on getting Thunderbolt working would be appreciated!

For some background, I want to use Thunderbolt with an audio interface for its lower latency and additional features.

- Thank you!

4. Aaron44126

Aaron44126 Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    I have a Precision 7530 on 21H1 but I do not have any Thunderbolt devices to test with.
    You could look at trying the driver from a newer system (i.e. Precision 7540) and see if that works, sometimes they are similar enough that it is fine.

5. Christie_D52

Christie_D52 Newbie

Reputations:
    I just tried the driver from the 7540, as suggested, and I'm afraid Thunderbolt is still not working. It's pretty much exactly the same.
    Thank you for the suggestion thought; it's appreciated!

6. dafunk60

dafunk60 Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    I have a 7730 & I see the same warning in the latest thunderbolt driver (March 2019 Version 17.4.79.510, A12), which appears to be the same driver published for the 7530. I am running Win 10 21H1 & am not experiencing any issues with my TB18DC thunderbolt dock. I realize this info doesn't solve your problem, but perhaps it's helpful to know there's a similar system where that driver works fine with 21H1. This was not a fresh install for me, I've been upgrading as new Win 10 versions have been released, from 1809 on if I recall correctly.

7. mtsb

mtsb Newbie

Reputations:
    Yep, exactly the same. DO NOT UPDATE to 1.16.1 bios
    Going back works ok.

8. heikkuri

heikkuri Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Rule number one. Do not update Dell Precision BIOS until two weeks after release date. Let other folks find the problems.
    Rule number two. Check Dell Precision Mobile Workstations community pages before update:
    https://www.dell.com/community/Precision-Mobile-Workstations/bd-p/Precision-Mobile-Workstations
    All latest Precision models had a bad BIOS release during this summer like 7X20, 7X30, 7X40 and 7X50.
    Even the BIOS is know to be bad, it's not removed from download pages.

9. brazzmonkey

brazzmonkey Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    New BIOS released: 1.17.
    Apparently it is supposed to fix 1.16.1 display issues (I was not affected).
    Upgraded without loosing undervolting.

10. frostbytes

frostbytes Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Anyone installed Windows 11 on a 7530/7730?