The Notebook Review forums were hosted by TechTarget, who shut down them down on January 31, 2022. This static read-only archive was pulled by NBR forum users between January 20 and January 31, 2022, in an effort to make sure that the valuable technical information that had been posted on the forums is preserved. For current discussions, many NBR forum users moved over to NotebookTalk.net after the shutdown.

Precision 7550 & 7750 Owners' Thread

Discussion in 'Dell Latitude, Vostro, and Precision' started by SlurpJug, May 30, 2020.

1. SlurpJug

SlurpJug Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Also got my hands on one of the long-life OEM thermal compounds and some cleaning wipes they use for depot / ship-in repairs.

[​IMG]

2. Ionising_Radiation

Ionising_Radiation ?v = ve*ln(m0/m1)

Reputations:
    @SlurpJug, I have only one question: how the heck do you have so much thermal compound? Where I live, these minute syringes go for something like $15-20 apiece, even the cheaper ones. 5 syringes would set me back an easy $50 or more.

SlurpJug likes this.
  3. song_1118

song_1118 Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    @NeIBro78

@SlurpJug

@Aaron44126

I just set my 7750 to Discrete graphics mode, The system is set to "Best Performance",and then ran the "Witcher 3" (UHD window mode, other settings are the default);
    After running for about 45 minutes, the data monitored by HWiNFO64 is shown below;
    CPU TDP does not exceed 45W, the average value is 26W;
    GPU Power is up to 113.8W, with an average value of 104W;
    The average temperature of Temp 2 in DELL EC is 60 shots, and everything looks normal.
    380-巫师45分账.PNG

Last edited: Jun 30, 2020
  4. Evahum

Evahum Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Hope your suspension problem has been resolved. I am thinking you may use mouse or other keys instead of power button to awake the Ubuntu to avoid the reboot issue.

5. SlurpJug

Reputations:
    I bought a bunch of the thermal compounds off AliExpress for $4 a syringe. I got kryonaut and gelid (not that I would ever recommend them for what they did to my CPU and GPU) for $6 for a tube, though it did take 60 days to arrive.

I got 3.5g of MX-4 for $8 off Amazon (back when it was cheap, now it's $10-12)

Conductonaut was pretty expensive, not gonna lie. Not that I would ever use it now! I have an unopened 5g tube that I paid $40 for.

KPx was $7 for a 1g tube and $11 for a 3.5g one.

Oh jeez. I've come to realize how much I've spent on pastes!

I would only recommend KPx for sticky applications (like applying a little chipset cooler on the PCH). It's very sticky, and no adhesive will be required. MX-4 for everything else requiring a thin layer.

Here's my little collection...

[​IMG]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

6. Evahum

Reputations:
    That's very impressive. I am just curious where you got the heatsink.

Ionising_Radiation likes this.
  7. SRom

SRom Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    I have been planing to replace my T1000 with RTX4000 I got from @Ionising_Radiation and also repaste at the same time with some better compound. I haven't done that yet because I would like to finish my current project first without risking anything. I have been thinking using kryonaut but after reading this thread I am kind of lost what I should use. I would like to improve thermals but I also would prefer not to have to open laptop constantly to repaste every week. I stress my laptop quite a lot I think. Current average power consumption for today is 95,2W and the peak was 170,5W. Does anyone have any recommendation which compound to use?

@Ionising_Radiation What compound do you use?

8. SlurpJug

Reputations:
    Got it from Dell. After the support agent saw temp2 he wanted to send out a heatsink ASAP with a tech despite my insistence that temp2 was not going to be fixed with a new heatsink (the PCH is not covered). I of course declined to have a tech come onsite and declined to ship in the machine so it was parts-only.

After it was sent I reached out again to another agent who decided it was best to just exchange the machine. I'll send the replacement heatsink back since there's no need to replace it. Only reason I agreed to an exchange was because they offered me an upgrade. The PCH temps are just what they are. Not terribly concerned as long as ASPM is enabled.

Evahum likes this.
  9. Evahum

Reputations:
    Thanks for sharing. It looks like two agents from Dell both agree the high PCH temp is a severe issue.

10. Ionising_Radiation

Ionising_Radiation ?v = ve*ln(m0/m1)

Reputations:
    Have you considered adding a heatsink to the PCH directly, something like the below: