The Notebook Review forums were hosted by TechTarget, who shut down them down on January 31, 2022. This static read-only archive was pulled by NBR forum users between January 20 and January 31, 2022, in an effort to make sure that the valuable technical information that had been posted on the forums is preserved. For current discussions, many NBR forum users moved over to NotebookTalk.net after the shutdown.

Precision 7550 & 7750 Owners' Thread

Discussion in 'Dell Latitude, Vostro, and Precision' started by SlurpJug, May 30, 2020.

1. SlurpJug

SlurpJug Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    This was incredibly interesting to listen to!

@Ionising_Radiation Around 19:35 they discuss the usage of graphite to spread heat over a larger area. Apparently some of it is used in the palmrest of the XPS. They also discussed the Dual Opposite Outlet fans in the XPS 17.

Wondering if and when these DOO fans will come to the 7000 series Precisions. Like the thermal engineer has said, a larger impeller will more more air with higher static pressure.

2. Aaron44126

Aaron44126 Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    Watched two of six segments so far. (Note to everyone, it keeps going after the first 20 minute video, look out for the other parts.) This is awesome, thanks for posting. I will watch the rest.

SlurpJug likes this.
  3. ALSW123

ALSW123 Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Thanks @Dell-Mano_G the engineering always impresses me, my first workstation was a precision m90 so things have come along way since in terms of performance, size and noise!

Speaking of that can you settle something on the Precision 5750. The thickness is listed as 19.54mm on dell.co.uk
    https://www.dell.com/en-uk/work/sho...bile-workstation/spd/precision-17-5750-laptop

Everywhere else it is 13.15mm e.g dell us
    https://www.dell.com/en-us/work/sho...aptop/xctop575017us_vivp?ref=hpg_module7_cta1
    Spec sheet is the same. Is the UK site wrong or are the measuring differently does one not include the screen etc?

4. Aaron44126

Aaron44126 Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    This was a great series and hit on all sorts of interesting things. All sorts of considerations that go into the design process. Repasting and undervolting. (I actually am reconsidering whether or not I should repaste any future Dell laptop that I get now.) Heat pipes vs. vapor chambers. Graphite/graphene in a laptop.

I'll be hanging onto the links for these and I'll probably drop them in other threads in the future when thermal stuff comes up.

Anyway, many times he mentioned the thermal setting that you can adjust (optimized/cool/quiet/performance). You can switch it out in Dell Power Manager, or directly in the BIOS with these newer systems. I always wanted the ability to switch it out programmatically or from the command line, so that it could be adjusted more dynamically — for example, I'd like to keep the system in quiet mode most of the time but switch to performance mode when certain apps are launched. I haven't been able to find any information from Dell on how to achieve this. All of this got me motivated to create tools for this. Today, I released both a .NET library and a command line app that can be used to change the thermal setting. Details over in the DellFanManagement thread.

Last edited: Jul 2, 2020
  5. Dell-Mano_G

Dell-Mano_G Company Representative

Reputations:
    All those numbers are correct. The 5750 is measured for Z height in 3 locations. (front, peak, rear) The Zf 8.67mm, Zp 19.54mm, Zr 13.15mm They should have listed all 3 but y'all know how website marketing folks are... :)

6. ALSW123

ALSW123 Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Brill thanks I'll update our description for custkmers just didn't want to put up incorrect info. Hoping to get my hands on one soon to test and compare. We still have every generation of dell workstation laptop going back as far as the m6500 (no longer in use) quite a contrast I bet! Oldest ones we still use are 7710 and even compared to that it will be a huge contrast :)

7. ssnova703

ssnova703 Notebook Consultant

Reputations:

I agree, and furthermore on reliability, one of the biggest reasons why I spend more on a business workstation is to expect longer life cycles;serviceable(upgrades, parts available, etc.) for years to come, and well engineered to last the required longer lifecycles in order to continue workflow without the disruption of changing machines(yes I understand that hardware updates are continual, but we've reached a plateau in the past several years, I could always use a faster GPU, but in general my 7+ year old M4700 is more than adequate and relevant for most of the work I do).

When I choose my next laptop, I expect for it to last the distance too... heck I even have my old T500(11+ years old) running strong. It's why I exclusively look for business grade machines that are well built, it's a good investment... rather than consumer grade plastic shelled laptops that are not quite servicelable(discontinued parts, and the new trend of soldering everything on there). I'm willing to sacrifice a little bit of volume(slightly larger chassis) and weight if the machine can be serviced/worked on more easily(we lost MXM GPU's for example... as well as CPU's being soldered on... thankfully we got the RAM and SSD's still).

8. marckus

marckus Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Hello, I believe you could fit a piece of thin aluminium or copper between the PCH and the plastic casing (with some thermal paste on it). Just make sure that piece of metal extends to the hole that I can see near the PCH. Then just slap some thermal pads on that metal to make thermal contact with the casing, like you originally did. I have done this in my Precision 7510 to cool down the cpu vrm and it seems to be ok for dissipating enough heat to keep the temperature down.

Attached Files:

Evahum likes this.
  9. NelBro78

NelBro78 Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:

@Dell-Mano_G : Thanks a lot for your information

Would it be please also possible for you to give a feedback to the below questions?

Is there any plan from Dell to:

1.Increase the RTX 5000 power limit to 90W for the Precision 7550 (as the new Lenovo ThinkPad P15)?

2.Increase the PSU of the Precision 7550 to 230W (as the Lenovo ThinkPad P15, P53, etc.)?

3.Add a 4K touchscreen option to both 7X50 models (as the Lenovo ThinkPad P15, P53, etc.)?

4.Add a touchscreen option to the Precision 7750 or to the following 77X0 model?

5.Add a type of “Alienware Graphics Amplifier” to the Precision 7000 line? I believe this feature could be very well welcome from several engineering companies running GPU accelerated calculations with high performance “FP64” GPUs. These GPUs are only currently available for desktop workstations/servers and RTX 5000 is for instance quite poor on this point

Thank you very much in advance for your answer

Ionising_Radiation likes this.
  10. Dell-Mano_G

Dell-Mano_G Company Representative

Reputations:
    This forum really asks some great question. I would love to answer all the questions posted here but unfortunately I can't comment on anything that might, or might not, be in development. So that means for questions 1, 2, 3, & 4 I have to say no comment.
    For question 5 I can state that we already offer external eGPU enclosures on our website. For example we have the Sonnet Breakaway Box listed and they can be used with all our mobile workstations. The great thing about these enclosures versus the Alienware solution is that they use a generic Thunderbolt 3 solution and not a priority connector, allowing for more options to you the customer.

Ionising_Radiation likes this.