The Notebook Review forums were hosted by TechTarget, who shut down them down on January 31, 2022. This static read-only archive was pulled by NBR forum users between January 20 and January 31, 2022, in an effort to make sure that the valuable technical information that had been posted on the forums is preserved. For current discussions, many NBR forum users moved over to NotebookTalk.net after the shutdown.

Precision 7550 & 7750 Owners' Thread

Discussion in 'Dell Latitude, Vostro, and Precision' started by SlurpJug, May 30, 2020.

1. Aaron44126

Aaron44126 Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    Not really. It doesn't have the same feature set as a server Xeon. It's basically the i9 with ECC memory support.

aw113sgte likes this.
  2. ov_Darkness

ov_Darkness Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Is the situation the same with RTX3000 and RTX4000 in 15" model? The TDP is 80W. Is there any sense paying 300EUR extra? I work with 3D graphics a lot, mostly 3D scanning.

3. JustAnApprentice

JustAnApprentice Newbie

Reputations:
    If I remember correctly, RTX3000 reaches 13500 - 14000 Firestrike score, while, RTX4000 reaches 16000 - 17000.

4. aw113sgte

aw113sgte Newbie

Reputations:
    I have been under the impression 4k doesn't make a noticeable difference to the eyes at this screen size? Also, I've heard issues with scaling.
    I'll look into the Xeon, I haven't done much research on it.

5. aw113sgte

aw113sgte Newbie

Reputations:
    I used this site quite a bit. https://www.userbenchmark.com/System/Dell-Precision-7550/177250#Benchmarks
    There does seem to be a measurable and not insignificant difference in the GPU performance.

6. Ionising_Radiation

Ionising_Radiation ?v = ve*ln(m0/m1)

Reputations:
    Yikes, UserBenchmark. Their Ryzen shenanigans have put me off ever using their site.

alaskajoel likes this.
  7. oscarf

oscarf Newbie

Reputations:
    I added the RST drivers from Dell for the 7550. With the driver was possible to see the device.

But acronis true image is unusable with 4k display, (my case: 7550 with 4k display). Some windows can be resized, but other cannot. Then you cannot select anything in a 2 cm windows without to risk doing something wrong by restoring partitions.

I am afraid, that some other application will have this problems with the 4k display.

8. defaultname

defaultname Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    4K absolutely makes a noticeable difference - everything is a lot smoother, you pretty much don't need anti-aliasing. As a programmer, I can set the font to smaller size without sacrificing readability while fitting more content in the screen.

zhongze12345 and acemanhiflier like this.
  9. Ionising_Radiation

Ionising_Radiation ?v = ve*ln(m0/m1)

Reputations:
    I disagree with this. 4K in a 15.6" display at a normal 96 DPI text resolution is completely unusable with a viewing distance of 50 cm, and it absolutely sacrifices readability, without appropriate scaling (which a lot of programs still haven't implemented properly).

Try installing Arch Linux on your notebook, and see how difficult it is to see the tty.

The idea is great: a display with a higher PPI makes things all around sharper, easier to see. The issue is that OSes (with the exception of MacOS) have absolutely terrible HiDPI implementations. I dream of the day when I can just move a slider arbitrarily, with a number underneath, and all elements of the OS scale in real time, with no problems at all.

Last edited: Aug 16, 2020
    acemanhiflier likes this.
  10. Aaron44126

Aaron44126 Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    You don't have to run it at "native" tiny-font 4K resolution to get more working space. Just instead of running it at 200% scaling (where you would have equivalent to 1080p working space), running it at 175% or 150% instead can allow for more working space — more text on the screen — but without having it as small as native resolution with no scaling (i.e. your TTY example). I have a coworker who runs 175% on a 4K panel for coding and loves it.

Honestly I do not have any issues with scaling on Windows 10. Just about all apps that are updated regularly have been fixed for high-DPI support by now. I will never get another laptop that does not have a 4K display. Takes a little bit of technical know-how (basically you need to know how to go set a specific app to use "System" scaling method if it is not behaving right) but otherwise it has been no hassle at all, even with mixed scaling ratios between multiple monitors.

Acronis True Image WinPE is a potential oddball case that I have never tried on my 7530. If this is the current version and it is messed up, (they should really fix it and) I would either just make due or run the laptop closed with a 1080p display attached to use this software.

Last edited: Aug 17, 2020
    acemanhiflier and dejazz like this.