The Notebook Review forums were hosted by TechTarget, who shut down them down on January 31, 2022. This static read-only archive was pulled by NBR forum users between January 20 and January 31, 2022, in an effort to make sure that the valuable technical information that had been posted on the forums is preserved. For current discussions, many NBR forum users moved over to NotebookTalk.net after the shutdown.

Precision 7550 & 7750 Owners' Thread

Discussion in 'Dell Latitude, Vostro, and Precision' started by SlurpJug, May 30, 2020.

1. acemanhiflier

acemanhiflier Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    My 2c on the subject. You can always set a 4K display to lower resolution itself (down to FHD or even lower), as the need be. This will let you see everything bigger as on a FHD screen without resorting to scaling, if that is a problem with apps you use. As required, you can be at 4K or switch to lower resolutions.

So, imho a 4K does offer somewhat more flexibility than a FHD. My current 7540 has a FHD, as I work mostly with a monitor hooked on. Though rarely, but I do sometimes feel the need for 4K, e.g. taking screen shot which I may have to zoom on in a PPT.

On a different note, can anyone throw some light on battery life hit of a 4K if it is run at FHD resolution?

2. Homer S

Homer S Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    My question is... is anyone working on the whole 80W limit for the 7550? Need some BIOS or vBIOS optimizer folks to dive in.

Homer

3. Ionising_Radiation

Ionising_Radiation ?v = ve*ln(m0/m1)

Reputations:
    Working on the 7530/40 side. I'm still looking for a VBIOS from the 7750 RTX 5000, haven't gotten a hand of that yet.

Homer S likes this.
  4. defaultname

defaultname Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    I'm running vanilla Ubuntu 20.04 on my 7750 and with 200% scaling everything looks fine if not slightly on the larger side, in fact I think on 7550 it would be perfect. Majority of apps (at least on Ubuntu) already support HiDPI screens and if there are still some that don't, that's developer's fault. This idea to sacrifice your hardware specs to pander to some minority holdout backwards devs is just plain wrong.

5. Ionising_Radiation

Ionising_Radiation ?v = ve*ln(m0/m1)

Reputations:
    I doubt it's a minority; furthermore, easier said than done, to abandon software that one uses on a daily basis, just because HiDPI doesn't work nicely.

See, I've already agreed that 4K is good in principle, but I find that scaling is still poorly implemented. 200% at 4K is too big, and 100% is too small. Plenty of software on both Linux and Windows don't play nice with non-integer scaling ratios, and plenty of software don't play nice with any sort of scaling whatsoever (read: even the built-in tools for Windows, such as anything that uses the Microsoft Management Console, needs to be manually adjusted).

MacOS does HiDPI best, and even then, more granularity would be welcome. Like I said: a display's DPI here on out ought to be considered non-rigid, and scaling ratios like 136% or 117% would be welcome, to suit individual users' preferences (instead of locking users to increments of 25%, or even 100%).

But I feel like I'm fighting a losing battle here, so I'll leave it at that.

6. Aaron44126

Aaron44126 Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    I'm not aware of any built-in Windows tools that have serious issues. MMC has worked out of the box since at least 2017 (one of the Windows 10 "creator's update"s added proper scaling in MMC). Even before that, it was just blurry bitmap scaling, not broken.

7. SvenC

SvenC Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Due to the blurry bitmap scaling of MMC (and a few other apps) which I find too hard to look at for longer times, I tried to avoid simple DPI scaling, or tried to exclude some apps from DPI scaling which was at least difficult for mmc.exe. What I came up with is Settings > Ease of access where you can choose to scale the text only. At least 125% text scaling on 17" 1920x1080 and 25" 2560x1440 works good for me. Not sure if images and toolbar buttons and the like could stay too small if you go past 150% percent for 4K displays.

Ionising_Radiation likes this.
  8. Homer S

Homer S Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    I'm not a fan of having to scale the UI to see properly, even in Windows. I went with a 1080p touch panel for laptop use. When I really want to see things, I will attach to 1-3 monitors at higher resolution. I'm a big fan of 27" @ 1440p. I feel like the RTX x000s will drive that nicely at 144+hz.

Homer

Ionising_Radiation likes this.
  9. Scott Jann

Scott Jann Newbie

Reputations:
    I run my 7550 at 150%, 200% is still too big for me. I operate mostly in a terminal and browser, so I haven't encountered any apps that don't cooperate with the scaling. Arch Linux doubled the console font when I booted the installer, so even there it was fine, it was only the boot loader that appeared tiny. In gnome+wayland, you can enable the fractional scaling with:

gsettings set org.gnome.mutter experimental-features "['scale-monitor-framebuffer']"

10. Aerospace

Aerospace Newbie

Reputations:
    Hi all,

I normally don’t post in forums, but decided to make an account to share my issues with my brand new 7550, and see if they’re unique or just the bed I made for myself. This is a work machine, and I am an aerospace software engineer who frequently works in a VM. I primarily use the CPU, put occasionally the GPU for graphically-intensive simulations. Here is my spec list:
    • Intel Xeon 8 Core
    • RTX4000
    • 96GB RAM
    • UHD screen
    Here are the issues I am experiencing:
    • Excess heat at nearly all times, or fan noise. I am using the “cool” thermal profile, but I still find the machine constantly either getting too hot, or kicking the fans on for no reason. Wake up from sleep? Hot or fan. McAfee file scan that any machine could do? Screaming like the computer is about to take off. Close the lid? Fan kicks on.
    • This is likely unique to my machine, but our drive encryption software does not play nice with the Dell keyboard drivers. Randomly capitalizes letters / inserts symbols, meaning it’s a gamble if I can log in or get locked out.
    • QC/design issues. The screen has awful uniformity, with huge gray imprints towards the edges of the screen. Holding the machine closed upside down (as you would naturally carrying the machine around, hand on the hinge) opens the screen slightly. The finger print reader / power button combo has no tactile feedback, so powering on sometimes takes a few tries. Random seams aren’t flush. All the thermals are below the machine (versus the side on previous Precision’s), which means you suffocate it if you’re using the machine on your lap, or not exactly at a desk. Occasionally the charging port will not work and I need to dock it back at my desk to charge.
    Is this unique to me, or do other owners share the same experience? For context, I have used numerous Precision models: 7710, 7510, 7740, and 5540; none of which suffer from these issues.

All that being said, I don’t know if these issues are specific to this generation of Intel/Nvidia hardware that Dell simply has to work around. I also normally prefer 17” models, and am wondering if this level of power in a 15” form factor is not feasible.

Curious to hear others’ thoughts.

Thanks!

Last edited: Aug 19, 2020