The Notebook Review forums were hosted by TechTarget, who shut down them down on January 31, 2022. This static read-only archive was pulled by NBR forum users between January 20 and January 31, 2022, in an effort to make sure that the valuable technical information that had been posted on the forums is preserved. For current discussions, many NBR forum users moved over to NotebookTalk.net after the shutdown.

Precision 7550 & 7750 Owners' Thread

Discussion in 'Dell Latitude, Vostro, and Precision' started by SlurpJug, May 30, 2020.

1. Dell-Mano_G

Dell-Mano_G Company Representative

Reputations:
    Please contact Dell support and get a new tab or a replacement for the whole part. A tech breaking off the tab and not ordering a replacement is not acceptable.

2. sirtalis

sirtalis Newbie

Reputations:
    Will do. I'm not even entirely sure that he saw that he had broken it. I'll contact them today.

3. sirtalis

sirtalis Newbie

Reputations:
    This brings up a question that I often asked myself during the process of ordering my 7750. Please don't take interpret this as a sarcasm, or me being offensive, I really want to know.

What benefit (if any) is there to ordering a pre-configured system with maxed out storage and memory?

Without using exact prices, it seems that Dell charges far, far more for 128Gb of installed RAM and 2Tb SSDs compared to buying them from a third party. Aside form the obvious downside of having to install and configure it myself (which can be time consuming, especially if something goes wrong). Considering that pre-configured memory and storage can be a significant fraction of the total system cost, does the convenience outweigh the cost? or am I missing something else here?

4. dejazz

dejazz Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    It depends whether you want to get your hands dirty by changing the memory and adding the storage. One thing for sure, this 7759 is far more time consuming to take apart (and installing the memory as well as the storage) than the other precision machines that I had before. If you’re always on a busy schedule and can’t really afford the down time to have any troubles with the machine, then it’s always the safest bet to have a pre-configured maxed out machine so you don’t have to worry about anything at all

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

5. Judicator

Judicator Judged and found wanting.

Reputations:
    For the savvy, individual user with time to tinker, none. Pre-configured systems are more for businesses that buy or lease several machines at a time (which means they can also probably negotiate a bulk discount). This way they can get all their needs at once, without having to worry about sourcing additional components from elsewhere, spending the time to reconfigure dozens of machines, make sure they all match corporate standards, etc. Also, warranties. A pre-configured machine will have everything covered under warranty, one that you put your own components into won't have the extra components covered under warranty. In fact, Dell can ask you to remove your own components before they'll service your machine (they usually won't, but it is a thing that can happen).

Sent from my LG-H872 using Tapatalk

6. sirtalis

sirtalis Newbie

Reputations:
    This makes sense. I guess I can imagine buying a large number of units for a business, you really need to have every part covered. Thanks!
    I am glad I have time to tinker! Also, tinkering is fun :)

7. Homer S

Homer S Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Maybe fully load the memory slots under the keyboard via Dell. The rest should be easy to get to just under the "hood" so to speak.

Homer

8. Aaron44126

Aaron44126 Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    Basically as mentioned, "convenience" of not having to tinker and having everything supported under a single warranty umbrella.

Most of the people who post here in these threads are one-off users who just want a nice laptop, and not corporate customers purchasing systems in bulk, so we are a small part of Dell's market for these systems. I'd say the "several minutes" (at worst) that it takes to manually install the RAM and SSDs is worth the "several hundred dollars" that you can save by not getting them through Dell in most cases. (Not to mention the benefit of choosing your own SSD model vs. whatever Dell happens to give you.) You just have to keep in mind that Dell can always ask you to swap them back before performing warranty service if there is a suspicion that your "upgrades" are the cause of your problems.

Things might be a bit different on the RAM side if you are going for ECC memory. Last I checked, there still isn't a good selection of 32GB ECC laptop memory modules available online so you might be better off just getting them from Dell if you want 128GB ECC memory.

9. defaultname

defaultname Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    For this very reason I've ordered mine with 64 GB RAM which for me will be more than enough for a long time. I've calculated that I won't save much by buying the RAM separately anyway and installing it would be a pain in the ass. The only thing of course I bought separately was the M.2 SSD, because the ones Dell uses are just overpriced trash. I've installed it in 5 minutes thanks to very convenient SSD door (the only door available in 7750) and that slot being left empty.

10. kta

kta Newbie

Reputations:
    Yes but I amortise them over three years and then their resale value is around 25% of the purchase price. Dell have always given me a keen price.