The Notebook Review forums were hosted by TechTarget, who shut down them down on January 31, 2022. This static read-only archive was pulled by NBR forum users between January 20 and January 31, 2022, in an effort to make sure that the valuable technical information that had been posted on the forums is preserved. For current discussions, many NBR forum users moved over to NotebookTalk.net after the shutdown.

Precision 7550 & 7750 Owners' Thread

Discussion in 'Dell Latitude, Vostro, and Precision' started by SlurpJug, May 30, 2020.

1. dejazz

dejazz Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    Exactly! The backlit cable was a pain to detach on the very first time

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2. acemanhiflier

acemanhiflier Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    Can someone confirm if the 7550 can be charged using a generic Type-C charger? Like the BaseUS 150W GAN?

I understand that this will have a power limit of ~100W, but can be handy during travelling even if it can charge the battery with reduced performance. Having a single charger for laptop, phone and other accessories in the travel bag can be very convenient...

Thanks in advance!

3. ov_Darkness

ov_Darkness Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    I can't find this charger on their website.
    I've found something similar on Wish, but it's not good shop, I'd avoid it.
    I'm also really curious about having GaN charger for my Precision. It'd be great!.
    I can confirm that my 65W Baseus GaN charger works with my Precision 3520 if this is of any use.

acemanhiflier likes this.
  4. Aaron44126

Aaron44126 Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    I've been able to charge the 7530 with a MacBook charger... It complains and will not charge if you plug it in while the system is powered on, but if it is powered off or sleeping then it should be OK to charge.

acemanhiflier likes this.
  5. sirtalis

sirtalis Newbie

Reputations:
    The 7750 is listed as having a ssd storage capacity of 2tb per drive. Is this accurate? If so, why is this the case? Thoughts?

6. Aaron44126

Aaron44126 Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    Dell only sells NVMe drives up to 2TB. It is pretty normal for Dell to "limit" the spec sheet to what they are actually selling. Higher-capacity drives were pretty rare at the time of the 7750's release in May... I think only Sabrent was offering higher-capacity drives at the time. Since then, a number of manufacturers have launched 4TB drives. There is no reason to expect that 4TB and 8TB drives will not work. (We already have confirmation that 4TB Sabrent drives work in the Precision 7720, a much older system.)

7. akira9ab

akira9ab Newbie

Reputations:
    HEllo
    After 4 years of heavy work, I awarded my Dell precision 7510 a good earned retirement and bought a Precision 7550.
    I chose to have it installed with Linux Ubuntu which came in the 18.04 flavor.
    Since two weeks, I am trying hard to get the touchpad middle button to behave like my regular copy/paste button without success.

Even xev does not log anything when I push it. When I press the left button, it says "button 1", when I press the right button, it says "button 3".
    But I cannot get that middle button to work !!

Any hint ?

8. acemanhiflier

Reputations:
    In continuation of my last post, will be grateful if some member can confirm that a 7550 or 7750 will charge off a 90W Type-C PD adapter? i.e., not full performance of course, but just power the machine for browsing and charge the battery say whilst waiting in an airport lounge...

Last edited: Sep 29, 2020
  9. acemanhiflier

Reputations:
    another quick question. if you had to fit one OS SSD (performance) without RAID and two Data SSDs (bulk storage) configured in RAID-1 (in Windows), what would be the most optimal distribution of slots on 7550 where the SSDs are fitted?

since all SSDs are M.2 and so are all slots, the question boils down specifically as to which slot will run the coolest to house the OS SSD? e.g., maybe the first slot, being closest to the fans...

10. Blazertrek50

Blazertrek50 Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    This week I received my new desktop/mobile work station the Dell 7750. I am loving it! One question I have is how can I enable the back lighting stay on at all times? Is this possible? Is the option to enable in the BIOS?
    In my next post I will explain why I decided to have my organization purchase this beast for my main work machine, versus using a dell desktop and Microsoft surface tablet. Stay Tuned .

Thanks for your assistance in advance.