The Notebook Review forums were hosted by TechTarget, who shut down them down on January 31, 2022. This static read-only archive was pulled by NBR forum users between January 20 and January 31, 2022, in an effort to make sure that the valuable technical information that had been posted on the forums is preserved. For current discussions, many NBR forum users moved over to NotebookTalk.net after the shutdown.

Precision 7550 & 7750 Owners' Thread

Discussion in 'Dell Latitude, Vostro, and Precision' started by SlurpJug, May 30, 2020.

1. Ionising_Radiation

Ionising_Radiation ?v = ve*ln(m0/m1)

Reputations:
    Fair enough. On the bright side, GPU VBIOS issues can be remedied relatively easily on the Precisions (given the Intel integrated graphics as a backup). If worst comes to the worst, a hardware programmer may be used to reprogram the EEPROM chip directly.

2. Andrea Moglia

Andrea Moglia Newbie

Reputations:
    I need a mobile workstation. I was looking at Precision 7550 specs.
    What about noise and heat? I ask you it since I work on heady loads of data.
    Thanks

3. Ionising_Radiation

Reputations:
    For anyone who wants a GPU upgrade for (relatively) cheap (i.e. more than half off: quite a decent deal, actually), eBay has listings of the RTX 5000 card for both the 7550 and 7750:

7550: https://www.ebay.com/itm/154144733081?ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT&fromMakeTrack=true
    7750: https://www.ebay.com/itm/NEW-Dell-P...094197&hash=item23e3bdf64a:g:ii0AAOSwbbNe5eOE

Both are US$1100.

The caveat is that if you purchase your notebook with only the integrated graphics, you will need to spend at least an additional $150 for the DGFF connectors, a DGFF power cable and a new heatsink. Still less expensive than directly buying from Dell, however.

4. supermoth

supermoth Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Hi.
    Does anyone know the part number for the webcam module on the 7750,as well as the part number for the lcd bezel with the webcam insert?
    Thanks

5. supermoth

supermoth Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Does it fit the 7550 version into the 7750?

6. Homer S

Homer S Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    To join the Cyberpunk 2077 craze:

I'm playing on the 7550 w/RTX 5000 and the game auto selected "Ray Tracing: Ultra". I'm not sure what it is using for resolution or textures as DLSS is on as well. I'm playing on a 1440p external monitor. I'll update when I get some framerate info but it looks pretty good in the first 20 minutes.

Homer

7. Ionising_Radiation

Reputations:
    It did the same thing for me, but it runs really bad with any ray-tracing on, and even with DLSS Auto. I switched ray-tracing off, and I can push nearly all other settings to near-maximum and achieve a playable 50-60 FPS on average.

I think my notebook needs a repaste, though; even the GPU temps are climbing towards 90 °C now.

8. Homer S

Homer S Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Are you using the Quadro Optimal for Enterprise or New Feature driver? I'm using the New Feature one.

Homer

9. Ionising_Radiation

Reputations:
    Same, but that's still only v457.09; the GeForce counterpart is v460 something.

10. Aaron44126

Aaron44126 Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    R460 branch for Quadro should be available "soon", and until that is out, you won't be caught up to where they are on the GeForce drivers regarding support/optimizations for the very latest games.

(They'll probably launch a new branch to support the RTX A6000 card, which is supposed to launch this month — and they're also not "officially" supporting Windows 10 version 20H2 on the Quadro/pro driver side yet, that will also come with the next branch.)

The branching status/strategy is a little bit more clear if you this page to search for drivers rather than the "default" one and check the "Version" column in the results. (Select "All" under recommended/beta to get QNF and ODE results on the same page. ODE is usually ahead but right now they have an active QNF branch.)
    https://www.nvidia.com/Download/Find.aspx?lang=en-us

Last edited: Dec 11, 2020
    Homer S likes this.