The Notebook Review forums were hosted by TechTarget, who shut down them down on January 31, 2022. This static read-only archive was pulled by NBR forum users between January 20 and January 31, 2022, in an effort to make sure that the valuable technical information that had been posted on the forums is preserved. For current discussions, many NBR forum users moved over to NotebookTalk.net after the shutdown.

Precision 7550 & 7750 Owners' Thread

Discussion in 'Dell Latitude, Vostro, and Precision' started by SlurpJug, May 30, 2020.

1. Homer S

Homer S Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Thanks,

Good news, bad news. The colored icon shows up. The dGPU is currently running the two high performance apps: nxtray.exe and outlook.exe. I am plugged in though and connected to an external 2K monitor. Let me disconnect and see what changes.

Hmm... Outlook was already set in NVidia control panel to use Integrated, but stays on the dGPU. I can't find nxtray.exe. Do you think it started on the 2K screen and that forces it to the dGPU?

Confirmed: if Outlook starts on the laptop's display it is not on the dGPU. If I drag it over to the 2K monitor, it switches to dGPU and then stays there even if you drag it back or disconnect the 2K monitor.

Homer

etern4l likes this.
  2. etern4l

etern4l Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    Yeah, that's Optimus as I know it alright. I guess it's worth rebooting after switching from an external monitor to mobile/battery use. Sadly, Dell doesn't dp Mux switches AFAIK, unlike many other OEMs..

3. Aaron44126

Aaron44126 Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    Here, I would suggest that you connect your external display via USB-C, Thunderbolt, or dock so that it can be connected to the iGPU, which should avoid this type of issue. (You can use a USB-C to DisplayPort or HDMI adapter. And a right-angle USB-C connector can help "point" the cable backwards for cable management.) If you already have your displays connected this way then make sure that the "Enable discrete display output" option is disabled in the BIOS.

You also could disable hardware graphics acceleration in Outlook and it should then never try to grab the dGPU. However, this setting actually applies globally to all Office products that you may use and it can cause animations to be a bit more jittery.

Last edited: Nov 3, 2020
    Homer S likes this.
  4. Homer S

Reputations:
    Thanks,

I miss my Alienware with the FN key that toggles the dGPU off, seems like a step back. I guess I'll have to plan ahead for working without a power leash.

Homer

5. rarespa

rarespa Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Hello

I have made an upgrade and now I am working on
    7750 CTO, i7-10850H Win10Pro 64bit,RTX 4000,2X16GB 2933Mhz Non-ECC, M.2 512GB NVMe 40, 17.3" FHD, 1920x1080, 60Hz, Anti-Glare, Non-Touch, 100% DCIP3, 500 Nits,WVA,IRCamMic/WLAN,Bottom Cover with Smart Card and SSD Door Opening, Intel® Wi-Fi 6 2x2 (Gig+) and Bluetooth, Intel AX201 2x2 + Bluetooth 5.1 Driver, Palmrest with Smart Card, Fingerprint reader, & NFC, 240W E5 Power Adapter (EPEAT), 6 Cell 95Whr ExpressCharge
    Mostly architectural BIM specific software, some GIS and gamming.

Problem 1: i did some tests with prime95 and also in gaming. The CPU goes quicly to 93-94C and in stress tests it goes to 100C. Testing with some desktop stand with 3 usb mounted fans underneath and prime95 still gets it to 100C. In Division 2 there is an 3 degree C drop (93C to 90C). In the same conditions the GPU seems to run cool (60-70C) but i did not run some stress testing just gaming.
    Q: is there in improvement if I embark in a thermal paste change op? Is it doable? How about that new "pressure" fan system, is it easily serviceable?

Problem 2: I have jumped from M6700 so there is a big change in the platform and also keyboard. For me this is a big mystery in the decision to ditch those unique volume keys.. But what did the trackpad switch do?
    Q: Is there a way to map trackpad on/off switch to the unused F9 key?

Q 3: Did u all encounter some issues with 3 year old Bluetooth mouse? My MS Sculpt drops the signal from time to time... The same issue repeats with second and new from box MS Sculpt... On old M6700 both mice work just fine...

Last edited: Nov 4, 2020
  6. Aaron44126

Aaron44126 Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    Unlike the M6700, these newer systems cannot maintain the maximum turbo speed. They will always throttle up until they hit the thermal limit (≈100C) or power limit when under load and then cap the CPU speed to stay within the limit. It is normal to see these CPUs running at 100C under load. It is also normal for the GPU temperature to be much lower than the CPU temperature, with NVIDIA GPUs in particular. The GPU heat load is spread across the whole chip, whereas the CPU heat load is at very focused small points in the chip. Also, the GPU is capped at 110W whereas the same chip running in a desktop could use 160W or more. It's basically impossible to get them to the point of thermal throttling because of the power limit.

Thermal paste swap will probably be a minimal improvement. Dell uses decent stuff in their new systems.

I am not aware of a setting to disable the touchpad with a keystroke. However, there is a setting to disable the touchpad if another mouse is attached.

7. rarespa

rarespa Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Thanks for your answers

So the heat increase is the turbo...

That is what i was thinking.. "Is it possible for Dell not to use normal thermal paste.."...
    Also, from what I heard at a pc service point (actually Dell's), the benefits of thermal paste are somewhat a marketing scam. Specifically those wonder ( -10C drop guarantee written on package) ones

That is shameful ... I cannot reason why they had to remove this option! Next thing... Remove some letters from keyboard!

Cheers.

8. Homer S

Reputations:
    A little bit of an uncork on the Quadro RTX4000/5000 Max-Qs. Gives people a roadmap on further tweaks when compared to the existing one. Just sayin'...

Homer

OK... set to pull the trigger on this, but not sure I want to go first. Has anyone done this and is it reversible?

Last edited: Nov 16, 2020
  9. Ionising_Radiation

Ionising_Radiation ?v = ve*ln(m0/m1)

Reputations:
    Done it on the previous-generation 7540's Quadro RTX 5000 (which itself resides in a 7530), performance boost is detailed in this thread.
    Not sure why you'd want to reverse it (it's a free performance bump at no perceptible cost). However, doing so is a straightforward matter of dumping your current VBIOS with NVflash into a bin/rom file (BEFORE you upgrade), upgrading, and using NVflash again to apply the backup VBIOS image.

10. Homer S

Reputations:
    I'm just paranoid having come from Alienware where "simple" updates were later found to be permanent and locked down going backwards if there are unintended consequences.

Homer

Ionising_Radiation likes this.