The Notebook Review forums were hosted by TechTarget, who shut down them down on January 31, 2022. This static read-only archive was pulled by NBR forum users between January 20 and January 31, 2022, in an effort to make sure that the valuable technical information that had been posted on the forums is preserved. For current discussions, many NBR forum users moved over to NotebookTalk.net after the shutdown.

Precision 7560 & 7760 Owners' Thread

Discussion in 'Dell Latitude, Vostro, and Precision' started by hoxuantu, Jul 8, 2021.

?

Which Precision do you own?

1. 7560

50.0%
  2. 7760

50.0%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. Ionising_Radiation

Ionising_Radiation ?v = ve*ln(m0/m1)

Reputations:
    I run Arch Linux, which allowed me to customise my exact setup (honestly, fairly vanilla: KDE Plasma, but with BTRFS-formatted and LUKS-encrypted drives). The NVIDIA drivers on Linux are very advanced, and with Ampere, power management is completely and automatically taken care of. To launch applications with the NVIDIA GPU, I install the nvidia-prime package, and I simply have to use prime-run <program name>.

I haven't tried a complete discharge in Linux alone, but from what I observe, I see around 6 W of power draw, and it took around 6 hours or so to go from 80% to 25% or so. Quite impressive, honestly.

alittleteapot likes this.
  2. alittleteapot

alittleteapot Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Thanks for the mention, Aaron! I actually recently filled all the bays: Slot 1 got the 2 TB 980 Pro, with the other three slots with 2 TB 970 EVO's (Using Windows Storage Spaces Striped + Mirror for 3 TB total space). I haven't had a drive drop since then, and a mechanical switch issue sounds like exactly the culprit here, since it only dropped when I was installing/uninstalling some drives.

3. SergioLeone

SergioLeone Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Hi,

I'm looking to get 7560 (i9, 32 GB ram, 1 TB ssd, FHD screen) as an upgrade from a couple-year-old thinner precision model.
    I like Dell generally, but they do have issues some times.
    Does this model have any significant shortcomings or issues that I should consider waiting until the next model (7570?) comes out or look at some other manufacturer (like Lenovo P15 G2) right now?
    I plan to run dual boot with Windows/Ubuntu on it, similar to the setup I have on my current precision laptop.

4. alittleteapot

alittleteapot Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    I have the 7760, not the 7560, but besides for size/thermal dissipation and one less NVME slot, I think they are very close to each other, so far I've seen the issues have been fairly minor. The "disappearing PCI 4.0 drive syndrome" seems to be a small mechanical issue with the hot-swap drive bay switch not engaging; this may well have been addressed by now, but Aaron here recently shared advice he received in case you ever encounter this issue. I've only encountered it once, and it's likely fixed if you re-seat the hot-swap bay.

I recently tried to order a Lenovo P1 (AMD) ... and then a replacement ... but I experienced trackpad freeze issues both times, so I returned it. Perhaps I had bad luck, but my experience with Dell laptops has always been smoother.

Some ordering advice:
    - If you are not signed up for Dell Rewards before you order, you miss out on that, so make sure you take care of that first.
    - I generally get better deals calling up an agent then going through the website, but make sure they have your Email address correct when ordering.

SergioLeone likes this.
  5. kbedrich

kbedrich Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    I have the exact same issue, and I actually tried this with PopOS, since it has an easy way to switch between different graphics options. It didn't work that well though.. still got only 3 hours with the iGPU only option selected...
    I'm currently in the process of getting my 7560 replaced because of this issue, along with the PCIE 4.0 drive slot not detecting drives and the laptop BSODing everytime I shut the lid..... and it ships mid-January.....

6. thewind21

thewind21 Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    I solved the battery drain by running optimised profile in Dell Power Manager and installing Dell Optimiser.

I can get 5 hours on iGPU now compared to 2 hours.

7. Aaron44126

Aaron44126 Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    A little birdie told me that there is a hidden NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3080 DGFF option now available for the Precision 7560 and 7760. It is not available through Dell.com. You have to contact a sales rep and ask them to look for it, and they should be able to get you a quote. I don't know what the price is compared to RTX A5000.

After hearing about this, I checked the current NVIDIA driver INF files, and I found:
    Enterprise driver 472.12, nvdmwi.inf
    Code:
    NVIDIA_DEV.24B6.0A69.1028 = "NVIDIA RTX A5000 Laptop GPU"
    NVIDIA_DEV.24B6.0A6A.1028 = "NVIDIA RTX A5000 Laptop GPU"
    NVIDIA_DEV.24B7.0A69.1028 = "NVIDIA RTX A4000 Laptop GPU"
    NVIDIA_DEV.24B7.0A6A.1028 = "NVIDIA RTX A4000 Laptop GPU"
    Note: "0A69" is the identifier for Precision 7560, and "0A6A" is the identifier for Precision 7760, showing that these GPUs are supported in these systems.

GeForce driver 496.13, nvdmi.inf
    It actually has the same lines for the RTX A-series cards, plus...
    Code:
    NVIDIA_DEV.249C.0A69.1028 = "NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3080 Laptop GPU"
    NVIDIA_DEV.249C.0A6A.1028 = "NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3080 Laptop GPU"
    Hello, there they are!

Last edited: Oct 13, 2021
  8. RockoDesvan

RockoDesvan Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Hello guys! I finally received my Precision 7760, and I've had issues with the PCIe4 bay with the Samsung PM9A! 2TB disappearing from time to time. And since the laptop came with Windows installed on that SSD, you can imagine de frustration.
    I'll look into the switch thing on the bay to see if that fixes my issue.

Apart from that, I've been experiencing stutter/freezes and complete malfunction of the audio on my equipment. During videocalls, it had just simply collapsed on me.
    I have tried uninstalling and reinstalling the audios, installing and uninstalling Dell Optimizer and Waves MaxxAudio Pro to no avail.
    I uninstalled Dell Support Assist and Digital Delivery just in case, but the problem with the audio finds a way to come back.
    The only thing I haven't done is reinstalling Windows.

LatencyMon has shown nothing conclusive on the possible culprit. Sometimes shows ACPI, sometimes storport.sys

Have any of you experienced something like this?

9. rinconmike

rinconmike Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Is this the drive that came installed in the system? If so, did you take the drive out at all for any reason? If not, I think this is the first report of the drive disappearing with a drive that came with the system.

10. Aaron44126

Aaron44126 Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    If you see spikes from storport.sys greater than I'd say 1.5ms, I'd suggest switching over from RAID mode to AHCI/NVMe mode to see if that takes care of it (steps to do this posted pretty early in this thread).

Another thing I'll just throw out there. I was fighting unexplained latency issues on my Precision M6700 recently. Turned out to be caused by the USB mouse that I am using. Something to look into if you have a moderately high-end mouse. Windows does not handle mice with a high refresh rate well in some cases. I use the mouse software to turn mine from 1000 Hz down to 125 Hz and the problem vanished.

Asleep likes this.