The Notebook Review forums were hosted by TechTarget, who shut down them down on January 31, 2022. This static read-only archive was pulled by NBR forum users between January 20 and January 31, 2022, in an effort to make sure that the valuable technical information that had been posted on the forums is preserved. For current discussions, many NBR forum users moved over to NotebookTalk.net after the shutdown.

Precision 7560 & 7760 Owners' Thread

Discussion in 'Dell Latitude, Vostro, and Precision' started by hoxuantu, Jul 8, 2021.

?

Which Precision do you own?

1. 7560

50.0%
  2. 7760

50.0%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. rinconmike

rinconmike Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    My son just tried a game called Dyson Sphere Program on the 7560. He said it is not a demanding game compared to others (he has not tried yet).

The 7560 specs are:

Xeon W-11955M | 64GB, 2x32GB, 3200MHz, ECC | RTX A5000 | 17.3" IPS UHD IR Cam | Primary Drive: Samsung 2TB PM91A | AHCI in Bios

He said it was lagging. I am not a gamer so did not get into details. He said the Lenovo Legion 5i he was using (got while waiting for the 7560) had no lag. The Lenovo specs are i7-1180H, 16GB Ram, RTX 3050 4GB.

On the 7560 I had him change the power setting from optimized to Ultra Performance. I have not checked to see if that improved things. All the drivers are up to dat and using the dell Nvidia driver. Hybrid graphics is on and per the Nvidia icon the game was using the nvidia card.

Any ideas? Is this because it is a Quadro card? Or an issue specific to the game with the Quadro Card?

2. RockoDesvan

RockoDesvan Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Hi rinconmike! Yeah, it's the drive that came with the system the one disappearing.
    I opened the laptop to install the other drives and the RAM, because I ordered just with the 2TB SSD and 8 GB of RAM.
    Perhaps that caused the problem with the disappearing SSD.
    I contacted Dell support and they offered me to send a new SSD to see if the problem gets solved, but it hasn't arrived yet.
    I'll keep you posted!

3. RockoDesvan

RockoDesvan Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Thanks Aaron! I'll try to switch from RAID to AHCI to see if that fixes the issue.
    About the mouse, I have the Kensington Expert Mouse -the wired one-. I'll look up into the Hz settings, if the are available to see if that also works.

4. ceasar2k6

ceasar2k6 Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    Has anyone had any issues with keyboard keys being fubar arter 2 month of use? Picture attached number 2 and letter A.

No actual spills, etc... just noticed today

Attached Files:

5. zhongze12345

zhongze12345 Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Turns out that a recent Windows update fixed the battery drain for me. I tried the iGPU on yesterday and I was getting ~7 hours of battery life. I'm assuming a Windows update fixed the problem since I haven't uninstalled any programs since I installed Windows.

thock likes this.
  6. Aaron44126

Aaron44126 Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    I've been gaming on Precision+Quadro for years without issues. I would say the first thing to try is to turn hybrid graphics off and see if that helps. (Even if you would prefer to use hybrid graphics for power savings, it's a good first performance troubleshooting step to get it out of the picture.) I'd also recommend that you reinstall the NVIDIA driver after turning hybrid graphics off (might not be "necessary" but just to make sure that everything is picked up properly).

If there is still trouble, here is another thing you can try.
    * Open NVIDIA control panel.
    * Go to "Manage 3D Settings" and the "Program Settings" tab.
    * Find or create a profile for the game in question.
    * Under "Power management mode" set it to "prefer maximum performance" for this game.

7. EyeOfTheBeholder

EyeOfTheBeholder Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    Disable Optimus/Intel GPU and install the GameReady drivers if you don't use any Quadro features. Quadro drivers will produce disappointing results for many games. I have been using GameReady drivers on my M6700 and 7720 almost exclusively. The only issue I had was Photoshop where I had to turn Hardware Acceleration a notch.

8. alittleteapot

alittleteapot Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    One more thing to try is to reseat the boot NVME drive in the special "hotswap" cradle that's in the PCIe 4.0 bay and see if that helps to solve the issue, and (I believe) Aaron wrote a post about putting something against that button to add more tension to prevent it from disengaging. Dell sending a new drive sounds like a reflexive move that I doubt would address what's likely the root cause.

9. jim ricardo 78

jim ricardo 78 Newbie

Reputations:
    Although I have followed and read every comment on this super forum, this is my first-time writing…you guys are great and I have learned a lot from all of you. I purchased the 7760.
    Questions:
    1. I ordered a sleeve for 17 inch from Amazon…it was much too big for the 7760…I tried using the sleeve from my older 6600 Precision…also way too big. Any suggestions for a sleeve that will be a secure and good fit for the 7760?
    2. The Device Manager shows my 512GB C drive as a “Micron 2300 512GB NVME” I was looking to purchase the same hard drive to copy over my data for backup purposes. Can anyone confirm if this is the hard drive that Dell is using? https://www.amazon.com/Micron-2300-512GB-22X80-PYRIT/dp/B08P27T11Y
    Thanks in advance for your assistance.

10. zhongze12345

zhongze12345 Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    I wouldn't buy the drive in the link at that price. A 1TB Samsung 980 is only 130 dollars (twice the storage and roughly the same speed). And the exact model of the drive shouldn't matter when backing up data. A cheaper, older, and marginally slower drive would probably be enough for backup purposes.