The Notebook Review forums were hosted by TechTarget, who shut down them down on January 31, 2022. This static read-only archive was pulled by NBR forum users between January 20 and January 31, 2022, in an effort to make sure that the valuable technical information that had been posted on the forums is preserved. For current discussions, many NBR forum users moved over to NotebookTalk.net after the shutdown.

Precision 7560 & 7760 Owners' Thread

Discussion in 'Dell Latitude, Vostro, and Precision' started by hoxuantu, Jul 8, 2021.

?

Which Precision do you own?

1. 7560

50.0%
  2. 7760

50.0%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. rinconmike

rinconmike Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    In win 10 disk manager do both drives show the same exact portions? If not maybe you did it clone the boot informations.

2. Aaron44126

Aaron44126 Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    It sounds like the clone somehow did not complete. Maybe it just copied just the C: drive and not the (hidden) boot partition? Is there a chance that you told it just to copy the C: drive and not "everything" on the drive?

I can't say anything about Clonezilla, I've never used it. I've had no issues with Macrium Reflect.

3. rwzeitgeist

rwzeitgeist Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    I'm not the person having problems. We're trying to help snout_hound.

Clonezilla supports creating an image of a drive by copying every sector, completely ignoring whatever structures an operating system created. Clonezilla can also copy only an individual partitions allocated sectors and supporting data structures.

Back in July I was setting up my 7560's new 2TB drive to replace the 256GB drive Dell shipped. I selected the sector-by-sector option when I used Clonezilla to create an image of the 256GB drive in a file on a USB drive. After removing the 256GB drive and installing the 2TB drive I used Clonezilla to write the content of that image file to the 2TB drive. This resulted in a bootable copy of the original drive, including the partition table, the EFI system partition, the Microsoft reserved partition, the Windows C: partition, and the recovery partition. The machine booted the 2TB drive with absolutely no issues. Obviously the drive also showed lots of unallocated space, and Windows was more than happy to create a large partition in that space.

In an earlier message I mentioned to snout_hound that the sector-by-sector option was what he should use.

My suggestion that snout_hound try booting from his 2TB drive with his 256GB drive removed from the system is an attempt to verify that the original drive is correctly imaged to the new drive.

4. snout_hound

snout_hound Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    So, I think I was successful in resolving my problem in the following way.

1. Went back and repeated the clone of my 250 GB W10 drive with Clonezilla in the same way as before.

2. After finishing the clone I did a reboot but immediately hit F2 to go into the BIOS where I then turned off my 250 GB drive. After saving I continued the reboot but hit F12 to get a boot menu. At this point, my 2 TB drive with the clone of my original W10 drive was the only bootable drive option. I selected that and successfully booted into W10.

3. Then I ran the Disk Management utility and it only showed 3 drives, as expected, and my W10 drive was now labeled as the C drive and it was showing to be on my 2 TB drive.

4. Then I did another reboot but this time without using F12 and it booted fine into W10. Then, I ran Disk Management again and allocated the unallocated space on the 2 TB drive to a D Data drive.

One thing I am now wondering is if I should go back and first delete the D drive, then expand my C drive some and then recreate the D drive. Basically, I am wondering if 250 GB is going to be enough space on my C drive or if I am going to wind up wishing I had more space. Right now, W10 seems to be taking up 145 GB of space. Maybe I should have 500 GB for C and 1500 GB for D. Not sure because I do not have much recent experience with Windows.

rwzeitgeist likes this.
  5. Aaron44126

Reputations:
    Apologies, I guess I was going through posts quickly last night.

I generally feel cramped if I have less than 512GB for the Windows / system drive. I prefer to also have all of my programs installed on C: and I have some heavy stuff like MS Visual Studio installed... And I do not use the built-in profile "Documents"/"Photos"/etc. folders at all (that sort of stuff goes on a different drive). However, Windows will fit fine on a 256GB volume. It will come down to, I think, how many other programs you want to have installed on C: and if you are willing to shuffle some of them over to D: if you find that you need space. (Or you could just use a tool like GParted on Linux to adjust the partition size/split later on without having to recreate any partitions.)

6. jack574

jack574 Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Had my 7760 for a couple of months now and this is the first time this has happened...
    upload_2021-10-19_16-30-18.png

upload_2021-10-19_16-35-2.png

Was this really caused by dodgy RAM, or is that just a standard catch-all message used by Dell?

This is all I can see in the Event Log:
    upload_2021-10-19_16-32-22.png
    Weirdly though the shutdown was at 16:20, not 16:06...

I had a similar issue with my 7740 and it turned out to be a problem with the Nvidia driver. Maybe I should update this one from the Nvidia website (I'm using the latest one from Dell Command).

Thanks!

7. Aaron44126

Reputations:
    This message from the BIOS seems to come up after any BSOD ...
    It is able to detect that the OS crashed and "helpfully" offer up the diagnostics function.
    You can disable it in the BIOS setup. I don't remember what the setting is called but it should be clear if you read the descriptions. (There is a separate one for firing up diagnostics if the OS fails to boot like three times in a row.)

dxgmms2.sys has to do with graphics output, so NVIDIA driver may well be the culprit. We've had issues with NVIDIA-caused BSODs on one of our 7560's, which seems to have been solved by using a newer driver (from NVIDIA directly). I guess it could also be the Intel graphics driver if you have hybrid graphics turned on.

jack574 likes this.
  8. jack574

Reputations:
    Thanks a lot. Yeah, I do now vaguely remember something about the memory being a standard response...

I have updated the BIOS to 1.4.0 - maybe that will help.

Strange that the Dell Command tells me I'm up to date with drivers, Support Assist on their website tells me I'm up to date (after identifying my service tag and analysing my system - i guess it's probably the same engine as Dell Command) yet if I search manually on the same web page I find "Urgent" updates that I haven't yet installed (one of which was the BIOS update).

If I get another BSOD after the BIOS update I'll try a newer Nvidia driver.

9. Aaron44126

Reputations:
    I generally use the web site instead of Dell Command | Update. I know that sometimes it isn't quite up to date with what Dell has made available online. If you're using the Dell-provided NVIDIA driver, check and make sure that you're on version 463.02. (It's not exactly new, but it was published after we had the BSOD issue on our 7560.)
    https://www.dell.com/support/home/e...de=wt64a&productcode=precision-15-7560-laptop

10. jack574

Reputations:
    Thanks again. I am on 463.02.

Is that the same as this one?
    https://www.dell.com/support/home/e...de=wt64a&productcode=precision-17-7760-laptop