The Notebook Review forums were hosted by TechTarget, who shut down them down on January 31, 2022. This static read-only archive was pulled by NBR forum users between January 20 and January 31, 2022, in an effort to make sure that the valuable technical information that had been posted on the forums is preserved. For current discussions, many NBR forum users moved over to NotebookTalk.net after the shutdown.

Precision 7560 & 7760 Owners' Thread

Discussion in 'Dell Latitude, Vostro, and Precision' started by hoxuantu, Jul 8, 2021.

?

Which Precision do you own?

1. 7560

50.0%
  2. 7760

50.0%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. Aaron44126

Aaron44126 Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
  2. snout_hound

snout_hound Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Thanks for sharing your experience. I generally like to install all software that is not part of the OS in a separate directory like C:\Software and I guess I could easily change that to D:\Software. At the moment, not sure about what all I might be doing on the Windows side. I have used Visual Studio in the past - so that might be a possibility. I expect to be installing various types of software for financial, investing and trading tasks. I have used GParted many times in the past - so, whatever I do now is something I should be able to tweak in the future if needed. I think my inclination right now is to just use the C: drive for the OS and install software and personal files on my D: drive/partition.

3. rwzeitgeist

rwzeitgeist Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    My desktop boots from a C: drive that is a 256GB SSD with a 237GB partition for the C: drive. As I've mentioned, I moved the default location of most of my user files to D:, an 8TB rotating drive. That C: drive currently shows 52.3GB of free space. The Control Panel Storage page shows "Apps and Features" consumes 113GB to support 255 apps. The largest app I've installed is Adobe Photoshop at 3.4GB, followed by Lightroom Classic at 2.4GB. I've been running this desktop for a bit over 2 years and in that time I think I've gotten a warning about low disk space on C: once or twice.

My 7560 boots from a C: partition that is 235GB, unchanged since Dell delivered the system with a 256GB drive, and currently shows 130GB of free space. The 7560 shows 159 installed programs. This is essentially the same partition layout I set up on my previous Precision 7530 and used without incident from 2018 to 2021.

For my use cases those ~230GB C: drive sizes work fine. YMMV, especially if you expect to install lots of programs, or a collection of large programs!

4. jack574

jack574 Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Ahhh, I wondered how to find the Nvidia version from the Dell version! Thanks a lot.

5. drNoob13

drNoob13 Newbie

Reputations:
    Hi guys,

It's me once again. About a month ago, I posted here regarding the timeline of production for my 7560 order. Exactly a month has passed since Dell confirmed my order; however, it has not transitioned into production. From what I learned from other folks here (thank you all for sharing btw), it's 2-3 weeks from confirmed to production. I emailed customer service, but they had no idea about the exact status of the order, apart from what was shown on the status tracker. (they even asked me to find another laptop that can be shipped faster).

Do we have any way to expedite the process? My work has been delayed a little bit due to the laptop's unreadiness. Can't really blame anyone but me since I signed up for this.

Last edited: Oct 20, 2021
  6. Aaron44126

Aaron44126 Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    The supply chain situation seems to be getting worse, not better, so past users' experience may not be indicative of what to expect currently.

I'm not aware of any way to expedite. The systems are built to order and you're in line with everyone else. And you're not quite yet in a situation where you at risk of them missing the original ETA (though that would be the case if it hasn't hit production within the next two weeks or so).

They do have a ready-to-ship configuration which you could get in a few days, but there is no chance to change any of the specs on it.
    https://www.dell.com/en-us/work/sho...spd/precision-15-7560-laptop/s010p756015us_vp

It's not just Dell. HP's comparable system (ZBook Fury) has estimated ship date of December 29 if you order one today. At the office, we have some IT gear requests (to other companies, not Dell) that are getting quotes with estimated delivery dates up to 250 days out.

7. Razibus

Razibus Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    I have some Dell rewards to redeem. Anything to suggest? I was thinking of a backpack.

8. alittleteapot

alittleteapot Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    I requested the backpack, a better WiFi router, and a 512GB Samsung NVME drive to fill in some empty slots. Alternatively, you could probably swing a good chunk of a docking station depending on the amount of your rewards.

9. Razibus

Razibus Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Which backpack did you choose?

10. alittleteapot

alittleteapot Notebook Consultant

Reputations: