The Notebook Review forums were hosted by TechTarget, who shut down them down on January 31, 2022. This static read-only archive was pulled by NBR forum users between January 20 and January 31, 2022, in an effort to make sure that the valuable technical information that had been posted on the forums is preserved. For current discussions, many NBR forum users moved over to NotebookTalk.net after the shutdown.

Precision 7560 & 7760 Owners' Thread

Discussion in 'Dell Latitude, Vostro, and Precision' started by hoxuantu, Jul 8, 2021.

?

Which Precision do you own?

1. 7560

50.0%
  2. 7760

50.0%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. l4k

l4k Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    have you done new tests after installing the memory? is there a difference? can you do port poyal and fire strike?

zhongze12345 likes this.
  2. zhongze12345

zhongze12345 Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Ahhh never knew that.... kind of a bummer

3. zhongze12345

Reputations:
    I had a significant increase in TimeSpy performance. My TimeSpy score went from 8900 to 9792. Most of the improvement was in the CPU, though the GPU also had an improvement.
    I will do port royal and fire strike right now.

4. rinconmike

rinconmike Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    So what’s the consensus on which battery is better to get? I am still not clear on why to get the express except if I plan on traveling with it or if you are in school constantly jumping through classes and need to charge is less than two hours.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

5. Ionising_Radiation

Ionising_Radiation ?v = ve*ln(m0/m1)

Reputations:
    The price is the same, so it depends on what you value more: being able to swap the battery to a new one every time it dies guaranteed, or being able to customise your battery charge profile?

Personally, I have—with some persuasion—managed to get my batteries swapped, even outside the 1-year warranty period. Just need to be very nice to the ProSupport representatives on the phone.

alaskajoel and zhongze12345 like this.
  6. zhongze12345

Reputations:
    How often is battery failure? I have a Latitude E6410 which had multiple faulty batteries, but none of my laptops since have had battery issues.
    As for replacing the battery if it doesn't hold a certain capacity, would that be 75% capacity with the long life cycle battery (Dell says that the battery should be able to hold 75% capacity after 3 yrs? I might be able to persuade them to replace my battery when it goes below 80% since the battery life on these Precisions aren't exceptional even with 100% health.

7. EyeOfTheBeholder

EyeOfTheBeholder Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    I have found some X17 benchmarks for reference in a German Alienware forum. Benchmarks start around page 18.
    Apparently there is a big difference between running benchmarks on the laptop screen and running them on a external monitor (probably because of missing mux). Timespy scores (external monitor) seem to be around 11500 - 13000 with 11980HK and RTX 3080 (GPU 12000 - 13200, CPU 9000 - 11500) depending on RAM, undervolting and overclocking.
    Cinebench R20 multi scores are around 5600-5800.
    Can someone with a A5000 run Timespy on a 7760? I really would like the see how the 7760 is doing.

l4k and zhongze12345 like this.
  8. zhongze12345

Reputations:
    I have two questions:
    There is a white-ish line when white is displayed over a black background (I saw it in Windows setup), and have seen only one other website that shows the banding.
    Is the banding normal? It's just a very thin horizontal line that is whiter (not completely white) than the gray background.
    The other question is the GPU (A4000) is consuming 35W when on battery. I disabled the option in BIOS to power the internal display with the dedicated GPU.
    Note how GPU-Z says 0% utilization and 33W power draw.
    ***whoops forgot to post screenshot
    Nvidia GPU activity monitor also says that no programs are running on the GPU

Last edited: Jul 17, 2021
  9. zhongze12345

Reputations:
    Compared to my XPS, the fan changing speeds happens much more gradually, which could mean reworked fan controls and also explain why DellFanCmd didn't work on my Precision.

10. Aaron44126

Aaron44126 Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    Note: Having GPU-Z open can prevent the NVIDIA GPU from powering off. Try HWINFO64 instead, I think that one is OK.
    An issue we have had with past systems is the NVIDIA GPU not powering off when it should. I think someone wrote a simple app to correct that... I'll try to dig it up.

zhongze12345 likes this.