The Notebook Review forums were hosted by TechTarget, who shut down them down on January 31, 2022. This static read-only archive was pulled by NBR forum users between January 20 and January 31, 2022, in an effort to make sure that the valuable technical information that had been posted on the forums is preserved. For current discussions, many NBR forum users moved over to NotebookTalk.net after the shutdown.

Precision 7560 & 7760 Owners' Thread

Discussion in 'Dell Latitude, Vostro, and Precision' started by hoxuantu, Jul 8, 2021.

?

Which Precision do you own?

1. 7560

50.0%
  2. 7760

50.0%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. Chin_Chan_Lee

Chin_Chan_Lee Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    So another year of the 5000 quadro being not much better than the 4000? Neat.

Also I just noticed looking at the 3D model on the Dell site, is the keyboard light key really on the F5, the same key used to refresh pages? Really??? This along with the no dedicated pgup/pgdown keys next to the arrows makes for a less than ideal keyboard for me. I wish that Dell would offer a few different formats of keyboards, I would definitely pay more for that.

Last edited: Jul 9, 2021
    zhongze12345 likes this.
  2. NelBro78

NelBro78 Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Also your Precision 7X60 is being shipped from China?
    I wasn't aware that it is produced there..
    Thanks for the feedback

3. zhongze12345

zhongze12345 Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    You should be able to toggle fn lock in the bios (there is a keyboard shortcut which is fn + esc, but the bios setting is what it is by default on boot-up). I think it's pretty stupid that the "fn" writing on the key caps are small while the volume, and brightness controls are big. I mean in 2021 with adequately big trackpads for multi-finger gestures, who uses the volume buttons, especially when they are joined with more important keys?
    I'm real lucky that I rarely use the pg up/pg down keys... or else I would be screwed. All of these funky keyboard shenanigans makes me miss my M4800 more.
    And yes, the A5000 is a ripoff for 90% of people buying the 7x60's. My work will heavily use RT cores and the extra memory in the A5000 (rendering in blender uses RT acceleration and takes up 8gb+ vram), and even still, I will probably only see at most a 20% improvement in GPU performance. And the GPU will still likely be bottlenecked by the CPU in many video editing scenarios. Looks like for me, a 4000 or 5000 series eGPU with 16gb+ VRAM (consumer gpu's will have that much in the next generations) will be the way to go. And it will likely be cheaper than $1000, while being faster than the current A5000 mobile (eGPU's are bottlenecked by TB4 though which can potentially be bad when loading huge scenes).

4. zhongze12345

zhongze12345 Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Yes, they are produced in China and then shipped back to the US.

NelBro78 likes this.
  5. Ionising_Radiation

Ionising_Radiation ?v = ve*ln(m0/m1)

Reputations:
    Not much can be done about that besides jacking up the power limits on the A5000 to 160 W or more, so that each core draws as much as it might on a 110-W A4000. And the power limits can't be 'jacked up' on the Precisions, as they are not gaming notebooks, where performance and cooling are prioritised, looks and noise be damned.

It is a tradeoff. Let's see how effective Dynamic Boost is.

zhongze12345 likes this.
  6. Aaron44126

Aaron44126 Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    Playing with Fn-lock on my Precision 7530, it seems to retain its setting across reboots. (It might actually toggle the BIOS setting whenever you switch it, I have not bothered to check.) With Fn-lock off on this system you will lose access to the Home & End keys because they share with F11 and F12. I think I'm going to have to leave Fn-lock on and just train myself to use Fn to access F1-F12... We'll see how that goes. The fact that F1-F12 are "visually secondary" on this new keyboard will probably help with that.

zhongze12345 likes this.
  7. rwmille

rwmille Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:

Attached Files:

hoxuantu and zhongze12345 like this.
  8. win32asmguy

win32asmguy Moderator Moderator

Reputations:
    Interesting. PL1 is 35W? What mode was Dell Power Manager set to?

Nice to see they are shipping lower density higher performing x8 memory even for 8GB sticks.

zhongze12345 likes this.
  9. rwmille

Reputations:
    My Precision 7560 benchmark results from userbenchmark.exe (set to Ultra Performance and disabled hybrid graphics)

zhongze12345 likes this.
  10. rwmille

Reputations:

Attached Files:

hoxuantu and zhongze12345 like this.