The Notebook Review forums were hosted by TechTarget, who shut down them down on January 31, 2022. This static read-only archive was pulled by NBR forum users between January 20 and January 31, 2022, in an effort to make sure that the valuable technical information that had been posted on the forums is preserved. For current discussions, many NBR forum users moved over to NotebookTalk.net after the shutdown.

Precision 7560 & 7760 Owners' Thread

Discussion in 'Dell Latitude, Vostro, and Precision' started by hoxuantu, Jul 8, 2021.

?

Which Precision do you own?

1. 7560

50.0%
  2. 7760

50.0%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. jctierney

jctierney Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Good news! I installed the Crucial Ballistix 3200MHz RAM and it is now reporting as 3200MHz and the correct timing of CL16. However, you may need to update settings in your BIOS to enable XMP support. I provided steps below for anyone who is interested.
    1. Start the computer and immediately press F2 to enter the BIOS
    2. Navigate to the Performance section (on the left hand pane)
    3. From there, scroll down until Overclocking Feature --> Extreme Memory Profile.
    4. Select the option XMP1 profile1 if it is not already select.
    5. Click Apply Changes button and confirm the changes.
    6. Click Exit to exit and restart the laptop.
    I've placed a screenshot below - just expand to see it.
    Dell_Precision_7760_Enable_XMP.jpg

After that, your laptop should recognize the memory correctly. If you do not have the above settings enabled, the memory will still work, but it will run at 2666MHz with a timing of CL19. At least, that was what I had before I enabled this setting.

2. trekzone

trekzone Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    That's wonderful, thanks for the detailed info. I had ordered exactly the same RAM, will arrive tomorrow :)

zhongze12345 and jctierney like this.
  3. Aaron44126

Aaron44126 Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    Well isn't that something. AFAIK this is the first time that they've provided any memory options in the BIOS. Also, the BIOS setup looks to be visually refreshed (it previously had been the same since the M6600 or earlier... so for like a decade).

4. zhongze12345

zhongze12345 Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    No way!!!! XMP works!!!

And the new BIOS looks so much better and less confusing... and it has a search

Ionising_Radiation and trekzone like this.
  5. hoxuantu

hoxuantu Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    I'm so frustrated with the IT department. They have kept my laptop for 1 week, and haven't done with just simple software installation. I wish I am allowed to install them by myself.

zhongze12345 likes this.
  6. zhongze12345

Reputations:
    Yeah the wait is unbearable... my system was supposed to arrive (at my house) today, but it has been delayed to presumably tomorrow.

7. Ionising_Radiation

Ionising_Radiation ?v = ve*ln(m0/m1)

Reputations:
    Indeed, the new Precisions actually have an XMP option now, that's incredible. Also running 3200 MHz at CL16, that's a LOT faster than the JEDEC specification. Nice.

zhongze12345 and jctierney like this.
  8. Ionising_Radiation

Reputations:
    FYI, BIOS 1.2.2 is out:

https://www.dell.com/support/home/e...de=wt64a&productcode=precision-15-7560-laptop

Changes:

trekzone and zhongze12345 like this.
  9. zhongze12345

Reputations:
    upload_2021-7-14_22-14-49.png
    I'm interested in the second one. Is the "neural noise cancellation" microphone noise cancellation similar to RTX voice? And what does "improve the system performance mean"? I'm guessing it just determines how many resources a program needs and gives it to the program. I doubt there will be a significant performance improvement, but I will still gladly take a 1% improvement.

10. Ionising_Radiation

Reputations:
    Dell always puts that line in the BIOS update changelog; I have never really noticed a real improvement in performance, outside of margin of error.

zhongze12345 likes this.