The Notebook Review forums were hosted by TechTarget, who shut down them down on January 31, 2022. This static read-only archive was pulled by NBR forum users between January 20 and January 31, 2022, in an effort to make sure that the valuable technical information that had been posted on the forums is preserved. For current discussions, many NBR forum users moved over to NotebookTalk.net after the shutdown.

Precision 7560 & 7760 Owners' Thread

Discussion in 'Dell Latitude, Vostro, and Precision' started by hoxuantu, Jul 8, 2021.

?

Which Precision do you own?

1. 7560

50.0%
  2. 7760

50.0%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. rinconmike

rinconmike Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Yeah, frustrating.
    • The 7560 I ordered on 6/16 still has not made it to production yet. It is i9, 2x36GB non-ECC, UHD, A5000, 2TB, and no SSD access door. ESD 8/6 has not changed.
    • The 7760 I ordered on 7/2 hit production on 7/5 but nothing since. It is a Xeon 11955. 2x32GB ECC, UHD, A5000, 2TB, and with SSD access door. ESD 8/9 has not changed.
    • The 7560 I ordered on 7/6 still has not made it to production yet. It is a Xeon 11955. 2x32GB ECC, UHD, A5000, 2TB, and with SSD access door. ESD 8/12 has not changed.
    All also have backlit keyboard, Palmrest Fingerprint Reader, Smart card Reader, & NFC, and WLAN, no WWAN

2. Aaron44126

Aaron44126 Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    4× 7560 ordered 6/17, in production 7/4, no change (11 days now). Not that worried, still plenty of time to hit estimated delivery date. Though strange that people's experiences are varying so much. The last two launch systems I bought (M6700 and 7530) — everyone here who placed their order within the first few days had their systems ship at the same time.

3. zhongze12345

zhongze12345 Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    I won't complain that I'm getting my 7760 early :p
    My XPS is really starting to give me troubles. It completely shuts off during renders, and has no middle mouse button which forces me to use an external mouse. And the lack of a numpad is quite annoying. And simpler renders taking multiple days isn't exactly ideal.

4. rwzeitgeist

rwzeitgeist Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    Dell notified me on July 10th that my 7560 had shipped. Dell's original estimated delivery date of August 6th remains unchanged. As of today, 5 days later, Federal Express tracking still says Dell provided the shipping paperwork but NOT the package! FedEx shows "Pending" for the estimated delivery date.

5. zhongze12345

Reputations:
    Pretty sure that's normal. They give FedEx the shipping info before they send the package.
    This is the FedEx tracking log for my shipment (Dell only notified me that it shipped on the 12th, maybe they just told you early)
    upload_2021-7-15_10-59-49.png

trekzone likes this.
  6. zhongze12345

Reputations:
    My 7760 just arrived at the door 30 seconds ago
    I will unbox it and give first impressions

7. zhongze12345

Reputations:
    First impressions of build quality (haven't turned it on yet)
    Feels so much better built than my XPS 15 7590, which is due to the thickness of the chassis
    The lid hinge feels extremely sturdy and it can be opened with one hand
    The thickness is very good for holding it in your hands, thinner laptops feel weird since they don't match the shape of your palm when held with both hands
    I like the darker gray color much better than my light gray color on my XPS 15
    It's not heavy at all for a 17 inch mobile workstation
    The power brick is pretty small (around same size and weight of the old rectangular 180W power brick)

Ionising_Radiation and trekzone like this.
  8. zhongze12345

Reputations:
    Also the rubber feet raise the bottom quite high, much higher than my XPS
    I will power on the machine soon (30 minutes)... had to finish a project this morning
    I will also install Windows to another SSD, but RAM will only arrive on Friday
    Edit: the thunderbolt ports look a little misaligned, but I can plug in usb c cables without any trouble

trekzone likes this.
  9. bklawton

bklawton Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Has anyone tried a fresh install of Windows 21H1 to their new 7760 yet? I get through to the "I need to connect to a network" prompt but it's not recognizing the NIC. I'd have thought 21H1 setup would have included all the needed drivers. For those wondering, I replaced the SSD purchased with 4 new drives so doing an upgrade isn't an option. Also, before starting the fresh install, I "upgrade" to 21H1 using the original configuration without any issues so I know I'll be ok in the end...it's just getting through this fresh install which is beginning to old-school (in this case not in a good way) if I need to defer steps or manually added needed drivers along the way.

10. Aaron44126

Aaron44126 Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    Try Shift+F10 while in the "out of box experience" screens. Do you get a command prompt? (Note: Might need Fn+Shift+F10 depending on Fn-lock state.)
    If so, type devmgmt.msc and install the network card driver manually through Device Manager. (You'll have to "Extract" it to a flash drive or something from another system.)

Not surprised if the driver is not included. Technically, this platform is newer than Windows 10 21H1. (21H1 probably has the same set of drivers as 2004, though, which is considerably older; they haven't done a significant refresh since then.)

[Edit]
    I thought they were only requiring "Home" edition to be online for the install. Is there a "use a local account" option hiding in the corner?

Last edited: Jul 15, 2021
    alaskajoel and zhongze12345 like this.